It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion Nuts Piss Me Off

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Every two weeks on Saturday I see a group of them pull up on the street in a minivan get out and start going door to door. I have gotten so tired of answering the door simply to tell them I am not interested I simply stopped answering the door altogether on Saturdays. There have been a few times where I was doing work outside when they pulled up so they knew I was home of course as soon as I recognized them in the van I had decided that was a good time to go take a shower or anything just to avoid them.

It's the same people doing it. Why do they feel the need to bother me when I have made it perfectly clear I don't want what they have? Aside from them putting a damper on my Saturdays for a little while they are simply an annoyance that keeps leaving me paper to start my grill with later stuck in the door.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
THEY SHOULD BE ARRESTED for saturday or sunday morning door knocks, Bunch of idiots.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I find the religious nuts kind of amusing, almost like a comedy act. I know enough about the bible that I can ask them the difficult questions.

I have taken not not all the religious nuts are who they claim to be. It has been long been used as a tactic for undercover NARCS to do some knocking and talking with the intent of looking around a phishing for information without a warrant.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
not really gonna read the whole thread tbh

OP...I get it I do...if it makes you feel any better, the relationship I have with my Goddess has never once been forced or even mildly suggested to another person

and I agree it should be that way

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Unless it's a religion that has a rule where you only get into heaven if you spread the word then I'm not bothered by them at all.

Sure, it's inconvenient, like a telemarketer calling at dinner time, but from the other pov, that person has taken time out from doing things they would otherwise rather been doing, to knock on strangers doors and share their beliefs because they truly believe them, and they actually, genuinely care about you even though they have no idea who you are.

Right now, there are Christians from all over the world who are converging on Africa to tend to the sick and dying people afflicted by ebola. They do this knowing that they might not survive themselves, but they do it anyway because they genuinely care for their fellow man.

It's likely that the person knocking on your door is doing so in the same spirit of compassion and love. Your heart might be hardened, and your mind might be so saturated with the darkness of this world that you are unreachable. Fair enough, that's no big deal. But the least you can do is show a little common courtesy, and stop focussing on yourself for the seconds it takes to answer the door and send them on their way politely.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: zazzafrazz
I have taken not not all the religious nuts are who they claim to be. It has been long been used as a tactic for undercover NARCS to do some knocking and talking with the intent of looking around a phishing for information without a warrant.

Wow. Guess I did not re-read what I wrote.

I meant to write:

I have taken note that not all religious nuts are who they claim to be......

Noted...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: UnderGetty

Would the religious people of this country be so understanding and compassionate if two atheists or Satanists regularly came to their doors to try to convince them how wrong their religion is? After a while, it becomes harassment. Getting upset about being harassed doesn't mean one has a "hardened heart" or that their mind is "saturated with darkness" (nice passive-aggressive insults, by the way... Did you do that in the spirit of compassion and love?)

I think it's fantastic that some religious folks are going to Africa to help people. That's a wonderful thing, but it doesn't give them a pass to harass me if I don't want to be harassed. If they would rather be doing something else, then they should. Because coming to my door is a waste of time.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The fact is that Satanists or Atheists would never knock on someone's door simply because they have no basis on which to act out of love for another person in that way. Satanists believe in survival of the fittest, and Atheists believe there would be no point to the exercise.

I'm not being passive aggressive either, I'm just stating the fact that if one person rejects the unconditional love of another it is because their heart is not open, and their mind is not receptive.

An attitude of being harassed by someone who is acting out of love for you is by definition selfish, self centred, and ultimately destructive. The person knocking on your door doesn't know you're a lost cause, and if it happens to be the same person knocking on your door, then maybe they have more belief in your capacity to accept a loving gesture than you are.

If you really are that self centred that a loving gesture becomes offensive to you, and you stubbornly refuse to walk in the other persons shoes, then stick a note on your door and do the universe a favour.

That person understands your pov believe me. They probably experience people with your attitude all the time, and yet they continue to do it, not because they are stupid, but because they have a quality about them called compassion.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

Sorry I haven't read the thread, just the OP. This is my knee-jerk reaction.

I am sick of militant atheists as much as I am of militant zealots. Both belong in the same barrel because they're both the same brand of irritating. If only they were aware of how much alike they were

edit on 17-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
I am sick of militant atheists as much as I am of militant zealots.

Never met a militant atheist, had one approach me, hand me a flyer, nor knock on my door on a weekend.

eta...mullholland drive

edit on 17-9-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnderGetty
that person has taken time out from doing things they would otherwise rather been doing, to knock on strangers doors and share their beliefs because they truly believe them, and they actually, genuinely care about you even though they have no idea who you are.

See thats just insulting under the guise of compassion. Text book passive aggressive.

The compulsion to knock on peoples doors and and convert them to a way of thinking needs therapy. They are projecting insecurity of their own beliefs and need to feel validated in their beliefs by having someone say "you right, i agree with you" thank you for being sooooo superior and showing me the way. Pat yourself on the back you good person you.

They do it for themselves, pure and simple, not for anyone else's soul. It is a selfish behaviour pattern.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnderGetty
The fact is that Satanists or Atheists would never knock on someone's door simply because they have no basis on which to act out of love for another person in that way.

People can act out of love regardless of their religious beliefs. I'm an atheist and I act out of love towards people ALL the time. I approach homeless people, not to "sell" them anything, but to help them with what THEY need, be it food, money or clothing. I let them tell me. I don't have the arrogance to think that I'm right and they're wrong and they need to come to my way of thinking. I do NOT go to people's private homes and disturb them to "sell" my beliefs to them so I can go to heaven. They SAY they do it to "share good news", but we have already heard it! It's not like we're a tribe in Africa that hasn't heard about religion.

I'm not being passive aggressive either, I'm just stating the fact that if one person rejects the unconditional love of another it is because their heart is not open, and their mind is not receptive.

You're not being passive aggressive anymore. You're overtly insulting. I'm not rejecting unconditional love. Disturbing or harassing me in my home or anywhere is NOT a gesture of unconditional love.

An attitude of being harassed by someone who is acting out of love for you is by definition selfish, self centred, and ultimately destructive.

Those people coming to my home is NOT an act of unconditional love. They're doing it for THEMSELVES, so they will be seen as doing the right thing, according to their church and their religion. They're doing it so THEY can get to heaven. THEY are acting selfishly. When they get rejected time and time again, but keep doing it, they're acting selfishly.

The person knocking on your door doesn't know you're a lost cause, and if it happens to be the same person knocking on your door, then maybe they have more belief in your capacity to accept a loving gesture than you are.

Perhaps to them, it's a loving gesture. To me, it's harassment.

If you really are that self centred that a loving gesture becomes offensive to you, and you stubbornly refuse to walk in the other persons shoes, then stick a note on your door and do the universe a favour.

I have BEEN in their shoes. And I have let them know they are not welcome. And if it makes you feel better to think that I'm "self-centered and selfish" because I don't want people pushing their beliefs down my throat, then have at it.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Sorry I haven't read the thread, just the OP. This is my knee-jerk reaction.

I am sick of militant atheists as much as I am of militant zealots. Both belong in the same barrel because they're both the same brand of irritating. If only they were aware of how much alike they were

I am a bit confused now maybe you can clear that up for me.

As you said the only thing you read was the OP before posting which was 5 lines in total telling the religious he doesn't like being accosted on the street or harassed at his home. The last two lines were saying he doesn't have a problem that they are religious but wish they would leave him alone. That is a live and let live mentality.

Now my question to you is does that make him a militant atheist? Could you please define what a militant atheist is because ATM going by your post I would be led to believe that in your mind any atheist that dares speak would be considered militant.

Kindest regards: Grim
edit on 17-9-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

originally posted by: Aliensun

I understand part of your view, not having a personal religion myself, but your "pissed off" attitude is wrongly placed. Most of those "religious nuts" have a better grasp on what humans need to do with their lives than you do. Do a quick personal check, what have you done for humanity lately?

I doubt you will get a passing grade above that of most religious people.

How come you people are always asking for money? Can I ask that? I've never heard you people once say on TV, "feed your families, take care of yourselves". It's always "send your money to us" frauds.

^This.

Religious nuts are always the first to have their hand out. Want salvation? Want to meet god? Then empty your pockets, open your wallet, not your heart and you will surely make it to heaven. Nothing more than a corporation selling false hope to a blind mass.

Oh and go ahead and accuse me of not seeing the point or whatever when it comes to religion, any religion. I spend most of my spare time helping out those less fortunate, who have depression, who struggle with every day life. Why? To get some special golden ticket into heaven?

No.

Because it is the right thing to do by other human beings.

You only have to read the title to see what religion is truly about in the modern world.

Wealth of catholic church impossible to calculate,

Roman Catholic Church's wealth impossible to calculate.

It is impossible to calculate the wealth of the Roman Catholic Church. In truth, the church itself likely could not answer that question, even if it wished to.

edit on 17/9/2014 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

I am sick of militant atheists as much as I am of militant zealots.

Never met a militant atheist

Oh you haven't huh? Never had someone jump in a conversation and tell everyone how dumb they are for having beliefs? Never heard someone come off with the same holier-than-thou attitude as anyone with a pamphlet?

Please tell me you've at least seen it on the ATS boards or on the 'net?

No one has ever knocked at my door, or bothered me in any way. Worst that has ever happened were some Mormons handing out leaflets in the park. They're creepy and to be avoided, I get it! However, I have seen the hardcore atheists at work trying to make everyone feel stupid and inferior. That's just rude, and it's the same ignorance expressed on the other end of the spectrum.

I am on neither side, but on my own scoreboard, both can be just as rude and obnoxious.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
Now my question to you is does that make him a militant atheist? Could you please define what a militant atheist is because ATM going by your post I would be led to believe that in your mind any atheist that dares speak would be considered militant.

I wasn't accusing the OP of being a militant atheist. I was just replying to the OP because that's all I had time to read before heading out the door. (Sorry for the confusion. Next time I'll wait until I have time to read more of the thread before chiming in.)

I was likewise expressing my distaste with anyone who tries to cram their ideology down my face, be it religious, or anti-religious.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Thank you for clearing that up. Boy am I glad I didn't jump to any conclusions and asked.

Now I know this wasn't directed to me but it is in line with what I was asking. The part where you said.

Never had someone jump in a conversation and tell everyone how dumb they are for having beliefs? Never heard someone come off with the same holier-than-thou attitude as anyone with a pamphlet?

Please tell me you've at least seen it on the ATS boards or on the 'net?

OK so I have seen a lot and wrote a lot of stuff on ATS that has to deal with religion and atheism. I have disputed religous beliefs on here quite a bit but not by simply saying it was dumb but by actually critiquing the reasons someone felt their beliefs to be valid. Especialy in cases where someone claims to have proof their belief is valid. If something is illogical or based on faulty reasoning I can't help but point out how. I don't know if that makes me militant or not.

Anyway, Ats and the internet in general being what it is people debate quite a bit. I don't find it as intrusive because I choose to be here and participate and any contrary views I come across I have never considered it as someone jumping into a conversation as these forums are open. So I guess I am really trying to figure out what exactly qualifies someone as militant in atheism and if those qualifications would also be atributed to the other side of the debate.

As an example: If someone starts a thread on the premise that god belief is illogical would they be considered a militant atheist and by the same token someone else started a thread saying Jesus saves would they be judged in the same light as hard core theist?

I hope these questions don't anoy you I simply trying to get a better understanding of these things.

Kindest Regards: Grim

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

A well formed argument hardly constitutes militant. If they are being rude they are being an ass not a militant.

Tell you what.
When they wake me up on my weekend by telling me Im damned unless I believe as they believe, well then yes, we can say they annoy me as much as the religious nutters.
I suspect that won't happen, but if it does, I promise I will throw my sacred weekend cup of coffee in their faces and tell them to go heaven.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I hope these questions don't anoy you I simply trying to get a better understanding of these things.

I'm not annoyed, and I'm sorry for not better articulating my stance from the start. I'm more of a live-and-let-live person myself. It's all ideology to me: whether faith-based, or fact-based. You can form an argument based on either one, and then attempt to spread this ideology as correct.

I have found that it's not always a matter of civil debate and discussion for intellectual, conversational stimulation. It's a matter of proving to someone else that you're right and someone else is wrong. So, if one is taking logic and reason, and practical proofs to disprove someone's ill-found beliefs, is this not still the promotion of an ideology? Is this not another 'pamphlet' used to persuade and/or dissuade?

If it ended at discourse and debate, fine; but explain to me statements that come up like, "Everyone who believes in an invisible man in the clouds is backwards, needs to die, and needs to stop holding back human progress." I hope this fabricated example serves as a model close enough to the truth of the kinds of statements people come up with. I have seen and heard some truly despicable things said on the part of atheists. This is what I mean by a militant approach. Words are weapons used to push an ideology just the same. How is the above example any different from, "Sinners repent or find yourself in eternal fire and brimstone?"

Tell you what.
When they wake me up on my weekend by telling me Im damned unless I believe as they believe, well then yes, we can say they annoy me as much as the religious nutters.
I suspect that won't happen, but if it does, I promise I will throw my sacred weekend cup of coffee in their faces and tell them to go heaven.

Is it "religious nutters" that bother you specifically? Or just people a-knocking at your door? How do you feel about girl scouts trying to sell cookies? Or children doing school fundraisers?

Plenty of people come knockin' at my door and it is annoying. I kindly send them on their way.

A well formed argument hardly constitutes militant.

Agreed. But I feel compelled to ask...why the determination to try changing someone's mind about something they've made their minds up about? Who are you forming your arguments for? Other people who already agree? Or to those who aren't going to agree no matter how well-formed the argument is?

Why do people even feel the need to push their ideology?

Even my posts here are a push for an ideology of total apathy

So what pisses me off? Mostly people who can't let someone enjoy their lifestyle and beliefs without having to prove them wrong for it; especially when it hardly affects anyone. No one is dragging you to church or forcing you to donate and hand out fliers. People will always knock on your door for different reasons. Send them on their way if what they offer isn't of value to you.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join