It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion Nuts Piss Me Off

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

k way too much thought on this, so you are where you are with it, and i am going to watch american pickers.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

k way too much thought on this

I do apologize!
I didn't know that sort of thing was discouraged.

edit on 17-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   

statements that come up like, "Everyone who believes in God is backwards, needs to die, and needs to stop holding back human progress." I hope this fabricated example serves as a model close enough to the truth of the kinds of statements people come up with. I have seen and heard some truly despicable things said on the part of atheists. This is what I mean by a militant approach.

OK thank you if that is an example of militant atheism I understand. Statements such as that which I have seen personally I dislike. Those types of statements do nothing but cause discourse.

Now I have a much better understanding of the term militant atheist.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Not trying to be a jerk, but here's the definition of militant:

adjective
vigorously active and aggressive, especially in support of a cause

As I said, whether religious or anti-religious, the militant approach in either direction gets annoying and tiring. But I'm sure my new-agey, hippie, let's-all-get-along attitude does too

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I do apologize!
I didn't know that sort of thing was discouraged.

Only for myself.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

Amen? Lol Jk!

I feel ya!

I always hated when they would knock on my door. I use to live in a beach house and for some reason Jehovah's Witness loved that area for solicitation. I started messing with them and answering the door with whips and books on the occult and telling them they were interrupting my ritual. That will get them to never show up again!

About 5 yrs ago I had some knock on my door. I looked out the peep hole and ignored them. My roommates dog was barking and went about my business getting ready for work. Well about 30 mins later I leave for work and they AMBUSH me as I walk to my car! I flipped out on them. They sat there and waited! I told them to leave and not in a nice pleasant way either. They kept trying to push their crap on me and that is when I threatened to call the cops to which they finally left.

I have no problem with people practicing religion. I don't care what it worship or believe in just do NOT try and force it on me!!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Please tell me you've at least seen it on the ATS boards or on the 'net?

I know Grim already covered this, but... I have seen a LOT on the Internet, but that's voluntary for all parties. Never has an atheist come to my door, stopped me at an airport or on the street, solicited me for money, peddled their views, judged me as unworthy, called me a "sinner", or told me I'm selfish, self-centered or a "lost cause" as has happened in this very thread. THAT'S what I don't like about religious proselytizing. It's intrusive, invasive and presumptuous and I don't need or want it.

FWIW, I don't like ANY solicitors. I even screen my phone calls because I don't want people hassling me. I go out of my way to buy cookies from the scouts at the store or give to the local high school car wash, but my home is my castle and I don't want uninvited people there. I think it's rude and obnoxious.

I have seen atheists act rude and obnoxious, but only when it's a discussion on the Internet, which people freely volunteer for.

Another thought... If we (people in general) weren't trying to prove that we're right and the other person is wrong, we wouldn't have very many discussions! LOL Thanks for clearing up your position.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Everyone who needs 'evidence'..try explaining yourself to a monkey or an ant

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: radkrish
Everyone who needs 'evidence'..try explaining yourself to a monkey or an ant

Did someone ask for evidence of anything?

We are not claiming to have created monkeys or ants... And I can make myself known to a monkey or ant. I'm not really sure of your point...
edit on 9/18/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime
Dear Optimus, thanks for sharing. First of all, I am sorry for the way religion has affected you. I've was a religious zealot years ago, I know the damage such ignorance and hypocrisy causes. Please forgive us. We do not fully accept the truth of what we do; so full of deception and selfish ambition. This is why Christ asked the Father to forgive His crucifier's who so willingly resisted pure evidence, for self-righteousness instead. I too was like this, because even though I directly heard God speak within the privacy of my soul, I chose to ignore Him to achieve my selfish ambition and bitter envy through religion. I thought if I went back to that so-called Baptist Church, after having been gone for so long, I'd gain myself, and other's would respect me. On the surface it seemed to work, but in time I saw the flaws God was showing me, yet I continued to follow it. After a while, I could no longer lie to myself, because deep within my soul a spiritual hunger continued, just as it did from my youth. I tried to ignore Him, because I was afraid to simply allow His loving voice to be all the spiritual instruction I needed to set me free. When I made up my mind to finally let Him prove Himself, I learned more from Him, than man-made religion could ever reveal. Immediately, I had to make a change. And although my choice to turn to Him completely led to my divorce, losing my son, many friends and family, I then knew for sure - I was free at last. Oh how I cried with joy, because I then knew what I had been searching for all my life, but was afraid to receive completely - Him. My cowardice cost me a lot of wasted years, hardness toward the very One who was my first and only true love. Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded in my reply, but I appreciate your thoughts, so does God. You deserve the best that Life Himself can give, not lies or substitutes and appearances that deny true power of divinely given humanity with Him who simply wants to share mature spiritual fellowship relations, an orderly planet of peace and decency. Amen brother! Keep believing the whole truth, for in time we all will get it; one way or the other. Thanks, your thoughts please. Have a great day.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
I can appreciate your desire to use a personal approach toward being and doing. That's natural to how you think and feel like expressing you. I too enjoy the personal approach. But ultimately, I also found out I needed to improve it, because sometimes I get in my own way. I learned that God's got a voice, a point-of-view I was not hearing. Christ invites people to expand personal expression so it reflects God and His children; working as a team of one. God wants to empower the willingness to share, so it goes beyond the surface. He wants to be inside and travel together the narrow path of true Life in the journey toward spiritual maturity. Then, giving, doing, thinking - humanity, becomes pure, simple and exact. I am so glad to have pursued His voice within for this knowledge and understanding. I am amazed at how powerful and comforting His wise friendly counsel is. Before this, my out-reach was convenient to me, occasional, and if I judged it necessary. It only went as far or as deep as I assumed it should; like most of my relations and interactions with others, even God. When I realized the void inside, I knew more was needed from me. Before being religious, I didn't know this, and even with religion I still lacked the purity and power. I was always able to see faults or needs of others on the surface, but not beneath. When I allowed His voice to teach me within what I needed, then I was also able to better relate and discern with godly wisdom; for myself, as well as others. We are a family. This led to me understand how to reach out without aggression, condemnation and self-righteous hypocrisy, defeatism, which I use to do. Now I am free. Anyway, sorry if my reply is too long. Thanks for letting me share. Keep up the good work. Your thoughts please. Have a good day.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888
Hello Expat888, I've been religious, so I respect your feelings. I was a self-righteous hypocrite who didn't listen to God's voice and point-of-view, but gladly used man-made ritualism to define myself. As a fool, I also contradicted the very scripture I claimed to uphold. I was well-meaning, yet naïve. I allowed the religious tradition of others to define my need for God, it was the worst idea ever. Now I know better. I now realize the true value of personal fellowship with God directly, rather than through man-made ways. In fact, I now realize no form of self-righteousness was necessary to make contact, all I needed to do was ask. I am sorry for the harm people have caused through religion. It's like anything else - some people will do whatever they want, and damn everyone else. That's wrong. Since we're one family of the tribe called human, we do well to observe basic respect and love, rather than selfishness. This selfishness is what motivates religion, leads to the sin of idolatry. Whether in part or as a whole, each participates in various aspects of ritual and traditions that offend people and God. It is an offense to force or legislate belief. It is an offence to peddle God or spirituality. It is an offence to misuse scripture for selfish gain. It is an offence to build so-called worship places, brow-beat people to attend, even using fear or guilt. This and more offends, and though them wiping each other out will not stop the spread of this, it will end soon, because God has a plan. Keep watching, be ready if you choose. Thanks, your thoughts please, have a good day.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Please forgive the religious for this; no excuse - but they don't know completely what they're doing. They're especially disrespecting your request, if they continue after you ask them not to. This is selfish, is not God's way. God doesn't force us to accept Him. If we don't want God, we can simply refuse. Unfortunately, with people it is sometimes not so easy. Some of us can be so darn stubborn in our zeal, even without complete knowledge, we would even crucify the Son of God just to satisfy our own cowardice toward true love and right.
I've been religious, I know how hypocritical and self-righteous we can be. It's not right, I'm sorry we harassed you. If need be, you might try getting info from their information, call their head-quarters and complain. Or, you might try engaging them in sharing your concerns, like the fact that when you ask them not to approach you, they continue. Question them about if God would want such conduct. Question the issues that bug you about religion in general, and how it makes them look bad. Either way, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Have a good day.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: UnderGetty
Hello Getty, and thanks for sharing. You are correct that compassionate outreach is important. Whenever Christ or disciples did so, it was always by the leading of the Holy Spirit. In this way, the one sharing their testimony could allow the complete approach of love and respect to represent their claim. Otherwise, their actions will be seen as an harassment, which without the Holy Spirit are, to some extent if misguided. Christ wanted to show His disciple/pupil/learners how not to be like the hypocrite, He spoke on this often. If I truly follow Him, I am led by the Holy Spirit. I will discern if someone would like a visit or not, by the Spirit, and will obey. God prepares the way for His witnesses, by preparing the hearts of those He knows need at that time. On the other hand, if my zeal is motivated by my own understanding or some one else, I could end up offending, even though well-meaning. This is why God tells true believers to know our place as revealed in various scripture, such as Romans chapters 13, 14, 1 and 2 Corinthians chapter 6. Thus, this is why many people are not as accepting of the practices upheld by many religions. They have every right to be concerned, and should not be assumed saturated with darkness, unreachable or hardened. If you remember correctly the words spoken by our Lord, not many unbelievers were labeled in this way. Instead, it was Pharisees and Sadducees most often labeled as hypocrites, vipers and such. Even in well-meaning, we sin against our fellow-human when we do not consider their whole need by the Spirit. Some, just want to be left alone. God doesn't force or condemn them. Why should we? Judgment will come for all in due time. Let us make sure we are on the right side of it. Thanks. Have a good day.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sadinoel

You misunderstand me entirely Sadinoel.

I am as open to God as a fleshly being can be, and I act according to his will in all matters. However, I do so in the knowledge that more important than a message that some are simply not prepared to hear, is getting people the help they need so that they can process it. Good things come to those who wait, or so I am told. If that means making sure that someone has some soup when they need it, and a blanket when they are cold, before even THINKING of giving them chapter and verse, then that is what is needed, and takes precedence.

I know the value of Christ's message to the people, but in no way does that mean that chronologically speaking, it is more urgent that people receive it than receive practical assistance with what troubles them. Of course, when one finds that rare soul, whose main problem is a lack of God, or a misplacement of faith, then that can be a different matter entirely. But most people, understandably so, would rather crap through their eye sockets than listen to someone who appears to be pontificating at them, when they are having a really bad time, no matter how wise ones counsel may be.

Cover the basics first, and the esoterics second, if at all. Sometimes, more often than not in fact, all that is necessary to open peoples hearts and minds to the possiblities presented by a life lived in faith, is totally and utterly unconditional support and care. In my experience, it has more positive outcomes than providing the starving with a Bible passage. That is never the way to start an interaction.
edit on 19-9-2014 by TrueBrit because: grammar edit.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
Hi BH, sorry. UnderGetty's response IS extreme, uncompassionate, unloving. I don't think they mean harm, but their assuming someone in darkness, harden and unreachable, just because they do not agree is wrong. God is not pleased with that. Bottom-line; your right - a lot of religious would not want a Satanist or Atheist at their door. As formerly of religion, I would have quickly got into a battle of words with such a visit, trying to uphold my view. I now realize there is a time, place and way for such a discussion, anything else is un-necessary. God doesn't need people to force-feed love and compassion, truth about Him. He simple shares His gifts with humanity, speaks to those who have ears within to hear, eyes to see and give thanks. He knows your heart. Your good is necessary in a world filled with bad. Nevertheless, please try and forgive the zealots without pure knowledge. God will judge them soon, then they will get the whole message.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz
Agreed. It is an unfortunate by-product of the self-righteous approach toward God. It is what fuels religion today, just as long ago, including the Crusades, Jihad, and many unfortunate dogmatic doctrines and actions offensive to God and humanity. Some people conveniently lean to their own understanding to uphold their view. But, true compassion and love and are pure, and exclude selfish behavior as unnecessary.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaticDill

Yes, and yet there is hope that if we allow His voice to be heard within, we become new creations, so that old things pass away, for the new to be. (John 15 and 16, 1 Corinthians 2 and 3, 2 Corinthians 5)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

Hi, and yes - it is quite shameful the things done with religion. It's like anything else we humans choose to do. If we do not care completely about the details involved, some things will get overlooked. And every detail and every person is important to the fabric of community. We are one family, though so divided. With this in mind, thanks for the good you do, especially in trying to help others in need. You would not have to work so hard, if others did their share, but keep up the good work. It is not in vain.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well Grim, thanks. Your thoughts are fine and precise, and deserve a response. It's the sharing that should matter most, especially since we all have a point of view. These views must be shared, not forced or argued. The ultimate desire of Wisdom is purity and peace. Humanities greatest potential rest in is it's logic. But, some of our biggest problems are confusion, selfish-ambition and division. Even bigger problems develop when some consider other's view invaluable or non-existent. Ultimately, true wisdom needs no one to validate it; it's fruit is the greatest evidence. With this mind I would like to respond to some of your comments:

1. You say: "I have disputed religous beliefs on here quite a bit but not by simply saying it was dumb but by actually critiquing the reasons someone felt their beliefs to be valid. Especialy in cases where someone claims to have proof their belief is valid. If something is illogical or based on faulty reasoning I can't help but point out how. I don't know if that makes me militant or not."

My thoughts: It is good to question, especially religion. Flaws exist in them all. Any time we do not question, we are subject to assume one way or the other. Human thinking was intended to be pure, and will be in due time for those who desire such. In this way, logic wisely considers all potential needs, possibilities, risk, without fail. But until that time, the gift of critical thinking and observation, which is what you are using. Keep it up. By questioning, you may be saving a life. For example, look at such incidents as the killing of Malcolm X by members of his group - Nation of Islam, or the mass suicide of members following Jim Jones and David Kiresh. If these followers had simply used complete logic of critical thinking, and if I might add, along with with God's voice speaking within, they would not have died such shameful deaths. They may have helped to stop the madness that unfortunately continues to motivate many others to follow the lies of ideology today. You name it, any belief can be an idea people accept. The greatest threat is when we blindly do so, or despite logical conclusion. That is simply unwise, un-natural to our true being. Ultimately, the divine plan is for all humans to share an accord of perfection, where discord of opinions no longer exist, but instead view points that compliment and reflect individual perspectives, according to personal spiritual maturity, working well together for common good of all. As for militancy: this may be the case or simply excessive zealotry, but either way - spiritual maturity knows better and does what is right all the time, even if in the case of our present humanity, we make a mistake or are wrong. In that situation, we'll at least admit it, and try to make the situation better, not worse.

2. ("As an example: If someone starts a thread on the premise that god belief is illogical would they be considered a militant atheist and by the same token someone else started a thread saying Jesus saves would they be judged in the same light as hard core theist?" )

My thoughts: Both should be viewed in the same light: what is their premise, presentation and purpose. Many times this is stated, without the sharer even realizing it. - (By their fruits you shall know them - Matthew chapter 7) As critical thinking examines the conversation and actions, much is revealed in what is or is not allowed. By this, we can also know the motives and the source; whether pure or at least of good intent or not. I hope my explanation makes sense. If not, let me know. Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join