It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MUST SEE!! Student frustrated with teacher...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Criticized and belittled ? wow, definitely a career in the military won't be in his future, it's easy to question everything but the bottom line is, he is the student, if he wants to give advice on how to teach and the methodologies, he needs to grow up a little more, but and18 year old sophomore, come on man, his outburst seems to define for me what the real issue is, and it is not the teacher.
The other clown says he thinks it was perfect, we're in huge trouble.
edit on 13-9-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Oh for pity's sake. This is so inappropriate I don't even know where to start. If he has a beef with the teacher, fine. He could have aired it in an appropriate way.

This is nothing but attention-seeking.

In seeing a couple of vids of this young man, he does not at all appear to be the attention seeker type at all.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

There is a problem with teacher's accountability, I agree with that, and many states are addressing it. There are simply teacher's who are there for the check, and put little into the actual business of teaching. We get it. Teacher's have an enormous lobby in my state, and it's difficult.

Albeit most teachers are dedicated to their work, there are nonetheless, those who aren't.

Whether this woman is a good teacher, or not, we don't know. What we know is this boy is showing his entire derriere, knows he is being filmed, and is putting on quite a show for his peers. Outbursts like this one, towards a teacher, should not be tolerated anywhere.

Stand up for yourself, yes of course. But this little theatric in the classroom? BS.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
To all of the posters simply saying "we need to change the education system". I agree, but actually do something. If you think we need better teachers, become a teacher. Sadly, you probably won't like being crushed between the administration and the public outrage about how terrible you, the teacher are.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Personally, good for the kid!

He stood up, maybe not quite the way people like,
but at least he said what needed to be said.
Sometimes kids are smarter than teachers expect,
and not in the ways teachers expect.

But that is just my thought.
I kind of grew up that way.
I got kicked out of every Jr high in my city because I didn't have the proper way to express feelings,
and they came out like his did.

But in the end, I graduated almost straight A's,
and had the respect of my teachers.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he did,
and he obviously learned from it if you watch the video Night Star posted.

People can think it is attention seeking, but when you have that ball of frustration inside you, and it comes out like it did with him,
everyone, even the teacher, benefits in the end.

I'm sure those words made that teacher think later on and reflect, if even just a little, on what he said.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TycoonBarnaby

That's the thing though. What to do. Bush didn't fix it. Obama didn't. And is this really a federal issue? Seems like a state thing to me.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: wutang717

You don't know why those kids are there and what their problems are.

This perspective is exactly the problem.

Well honestly I hope those kids are there to learn and nothing else.

But based off of my experiences in H.S., which I graduated from in 2009, generally the kids in the classes that do packet-work are the classes for kids with disciplinarian problems, attendance problems, and just overall generally kids who don't give a crap.

Which brings up the other point in my post you ignored, the fact that this kid DROPPED out at least once already, which would have meant the school would put him in special classes to better monitor his attendance and effort.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

That's the thing though. What to do. Bush didn't fix it. Obama didn't. And is this really a federal issue? Seems like a state thing to me.

I agree, the more local the better. I didn't leave public education because of my students (they rocked!) but because of the bureaucracy and lack of respect for the profession in this country.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Sorry folks, but this is a great kid who cares very much about his education and that of others.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

It is indeed a state thing. Most professions, including my own, require being under the auspices of a Board of Examiners, (taking a test and passing it); chasing Continuing Education Units, and paying hundreds of dollars every two or three years to keep the obtained license current.

A few years back, it was suggested that teachers be placed under these same requirements, such as nurses, psychologists, social workers, attorney's, etc., and maintain a current License in order to continue teaching.

WELL Let me tell you! The lobbyist and Teacher's Association went BESERK. lol. It was not a pretty sight.

The whole matter was dropped.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: wutang717

a reply to: wutang717

You don't know why those kids are there and what their problems are.

This perspective is exactly the problem.

Well honestly I hope those kids are there to learn and nothing else.

But based off of my experiences in H.S., which I graduated from in 2009, generally the kids in the classes that do packet-work are the classes for kids with disciplinarian problems, attendance problems, and just overall generally kids who don't give a crap.

Which brings up the other point in my post you ignored, the fact that this kid DROPPED out at least once already, which would have meant the school would put him in special classes to better monitor his attendance and effort.

Oh this kid did indeed give a crap. He may have dropped out but unlike many others, he returned. Look at the vids and tell me this kid doesn't care!

Disciplinary problems or not, if that is the type of student the teacher has to teach, let them teach and not just toss the kid out of class for asking a simple question.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I see this half way business a little differently.

In my view, each needs to give 100%.

When it comes to your own education and personal growth, you can't expect your efforts to be contingent upon another's willingness or competency to teach you. Sure it's a hell of a lot easier to learn when you have meaningful help, but unfortunately the world doesn't always work that way.

I was a different kind of student than you. I either failed all of my classes or I aced them all. There was no in between. At both extremes, I was completely responsible for the outcomes. It was when I was almost completing high school that it finally clicked for me that I was solely responsible for the person I wanted to be. Thereafter, the trajectory of my life completely changed.

In the end, it always about the commitment one makes to one's self.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Where do you live that doesn't require a teaching license? That is certainly not true in any state that I have lived in. Teachers need to continue their professional development and apply/pay for license renewals.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
where did my comment go?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Your a moderator and all your capable of doing is correcting grammar?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Your a moderator and all your capable of doing is correcting grammar?

That's not grammar. That's syntax. Man. Why do I bother? And the cogent points stand on their own. Trust anyone....else.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Sorry folks, but this is a great kid who cares very much about his education and that of others.

If he cared at all about his education he wouldn't have dropped out. He wouldn't be an 18 year old sophomore.
He wouldn't have interrupted class.

I agree with him that things need to change, but interrupting a class and making a scene was not the way to do it. He should have confronted the teacher after class, or gone to the principal. Or went to the next school bored meeting. He knew he'd get attention for this. I wonder if there's enough excitement and entertainment and stimulation in his life now.

It's too bad his job won't be like that and if he pulls that stunt at work he's going to get fired.
Maybe if he cares so much about other peoples education he should become a teacher. We'll see things change real quick when he learns that teachers teach the way they are told to teach. Things will change real quick when he's told what he can and can't teach. I sincerely hope that when he realizes that, he finds the teacher and apologizes.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

But your responding to me about my grammar and not my points but that's cool.

Maybe I need to work harder at spelling.

Let me add.... IVE NEVER picked apart someone's grammar and you know why?

Because the idea is what's important.

Here's a quote for you to think about...

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

edit on 9/13/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

He also wouldn't have went back to school and got good grades which would have required him to realize that he needed to put that effort in in order for that to happen.

Not backing down.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join