It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MUST SEE!! Student frustrated with teacher...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
Children cannot be held to a standard of personal responsibility give me a break.

I beg to differ! Personal responsibility is one of the first things a child should learn.

And Jeff Bliss was like 18 years old! He's not a "child"!

I didn't truly understand the meaning of that slogan until I was an adult.

Really? You think you understand it now?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Children cannot be held to a standard of personal responsibility give me a break.

Huh? Then why do parents waste all that time to instill in them what they need to get by? You're right. Kick them out at 12 and see how they do. Great idea.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

And what is a student's job? Do they have NO responsibility in this endeavor?

the students job is to meet the teacher halfway.

Look, teaching and learning is a two-way street. You can't MAKE kids learn. Sometimes the teacher has to work a little harder than the student and sometimes the student has to work a little harder. That's life.

sounds to me like you are suggesting a predominantly one way street.

This kid already dropped out once and came back to learn. If he REALLY wanted to learn, he'd read the packet and LEARN something from it.

was it really that easy for you?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Kick them out at 12 and see how they do. Great idea.

Well, there is always a job waiting at the Masonic sweatshop networkdude and I run. Advancement opportunities are a bit sucky, but hey, it could be worse.

Not much, but it could be.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
if you cant do tyour effing job, give it to someone who can. our future depends on it.

Because our country is chock-full of fantastic math teachers just waiting to fill our place? (The subject I teach.)

I was not trained as a teacher (originally, I took night classes while I taught the first 2 years) but rather got into public school teaching through an alternate route. I did this because I complained about the younger generation a lot, and decided I should try and actually make a difference. After 3 years of it, I left this year, as did 4 other teachers in my department. I hope they find some Teach for America new college graduates to fill our shoes. I am sure the students will be better off having new teachers who were not trained as teachers at all and have never taught yet.

The rollover in this country, especially for high school mathematics teachers, is ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Oh stop self aggrandizing.

Success relies heavily in circumstance and environment and if you don't believe that your looking the other way.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Success relies heavily in circumstance and environment and if you don't believe that your looking the other way.

BS. Success depends on preservation and determination. Focus doesn't hurt either.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The kid has a point. The teacher seems incompetent. Incapable of teaching people in a way that they can understand. I know teachers who work with "troubled" kids, special needs kids... you have to work with them on their level, with how they process, and getting them inspired and making the class fun is a huge part of it.

I've been in blue ribbon schools, charter schools, college... and they were all horrible for the way my brain processed. The charter school was actually much like the "college" I attended, and doesn't seem much different from this classroom. They hand out packets, and don't give you much if any instruction.

For those arguing to let the teacher do her job, shut up, and be a good student... are you out of your mind?! Handing out a packet isn't teaching, it's doing a poor job without teaching. The whole system is screwed. Everyone complains, and it's not just the students/youth generation, FFS! Don't make this a generational divide. So annoying hearing that nonsense in this thread. Students complain, teachers complain, administration complains, and parents complain.

As for people taking initiative and learning online, yea sure, I do think that's ideal if you got the mind for that, but the kid was saying he needed someone to get up, move around a bit, and inspire them. Some people are wired to need that kind of action and heightened emotional stimuli in order to get their neural circuitry going. This is the system failing the kids, not the kids failing the system. You won't get these kids to learn online if they need it done in person. Oh well? Meh, there goes a chunk of the population, out a job, on welfare, and "complaining".. you don't want that, right?

I learn easily online, and breezed through the packets, but didn't do them on principal. I was thrown around all different kinds of programs, and none of them worked for me. I was never properly challenged. I DID teach myself, got a decent education online, that seems to be superior to most of my peers who went the traditional route with a bachelors/masters. I'm a lot more well rounded than them with my knowledgebase and understanding of the world, that's for sure!

It used to be that school worked for the majority, and only a small percentage couldn't find an academic outlet. That's no longer the case. The terrain has changed, and so too should the educational system.
edit on 13-9-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Go be successful in Uganda then. Show all of Africa how it's done superman.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Kudos to this young man for saying all that he did. Clearly he wants to learn and is not some trouble making, disruptive punk as some have made him out to be. It is disturbing to me to see people put this kid down. I'd like to thank those of you who understood and stood up for this kid.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
BS. Success depends on preservation and determination. Focus doesn't hurt either.

This is Locus of Control, plain and simple. Both have valid points. The problem is you can't see it in each other.
edit on 13-9-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

link   

Go be successful in Uganda then. Show all of Africa how it's done superman.

I offer advice and get this tripe. It's no bloody wonder my generation will never be able to retire. Problem resolution is not big with the younger crowd. We'd ALL be screwed then.

link   
Has anyone mentioned the fact that this kid also dropped out at one point? Just curious.

Tosh.0 also had this kid on last year at some point and time. Tosh was able to dig a little deeper but I can't find the video ATM.

Just my opinion but from the looks of the kids in that class, it looks like one of those classes where the kids who constantly cause a ruckus end up in.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I get sick of hearing people say, "take responsibility do what it takes blah blah"

They are missing the point that this type of behavior is doing what it takes to bring the change that's so desperately needed.

It's not the 1950's anymore.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Oh stop self aggrandizing.

The Major is amused.

Oh yes people, I'm on a roll today. There's a fire burning in my belly.

The scene of the irony.

That's not fire in your belly recruit, that's just the Spam you are peddling fermenting causing some well earned heartburn.

Dismissed.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: wutang717

You don't know why those kids are there and what their problems are.

This perspective is exactly the problem.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Major Discrepancy

What?

Do you anything to add besides pure ad hominem?

You can't think deeper then spelling can you?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

a reply to: wutang717

You don't know why those kids are there and what their problems are.

This perspective is exactly the problem.

And you don't know the school, curriculum, or teacher. The thing about perspectives is that there is always more than one. But you seem more than willing to castigate them though.

(post by MikeHawke removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

What's wrong?

You don't think circumstance and environmental variables are predicting a specific outcome?

Obviously your not as we'll educated as you think because the science community seems to disagree.

Ack

Environment and circumstance are variables that when placed together can predict a specific outcome.

But you don't agree so I told you to go to Africa and produce the same results with a different set of said variables but you can't because those variables determine the outcome.

You lack a very basic and simple understanding of how this works.
edit on 9/13/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join