It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hernando's Hideaway. Another Thread "almost certainly not for you."

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
0510 time for a catnap here been out all night .. will drop back later ..

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Fishing? Me. I'm a Kansas girl. My daddy taught me all about fishing from an early age, but we didn't use lures. We used bait. I can put a worm on a hook, and I can take my own fish off, too. I can even go out and catch my own nightcrawlers if I need to. I even took a water snake off a hook for a teenage boy once who was holding the poor thing up in the air and screaming (like a girl, I might add), "Water moccasin!" at the top of his lungs. My hands stank like skunk for the rest of the day, but it was worth it to show an older boy up like that.

Now, we usually went for the big old catfish. But we wound up catching a decent number of sun perch, bullhead, and the occasional bass, too.

Now, on the occasions when we go to Minnesota and fish, we use crankbait. A lot of times, it's the bright yellow or green mixed with white that works best up there. Sometimes, orange will work well, too. Usually, you want a spinner. And when we hit the lakes up there, we're taking lots of bass and northern pike with some lake perch and sun perch mixed in.
edit on 4-9-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
My feelings on peace is that its difficult because people have a need to belong to a group, and when you want to do something that others aren't, you start to feel uncomfortable and unhappy with that unless you are supremely comfortable inside your own skin, doing your own thing. If you aren't comfortable like that, you either look to influence the group toward what you want to do, or you go along with what they're doing, but your unhappy about it. This creates friction particularly when you have whole groups like this.

Now elevate that to the larger city, state, federal level where there is real power, but the insecurities are still the same and just as pernicious. We still simply can't learn to live and let live, and even if some can, the rest still can't.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

OK, I'm still up, so you have to suffer through more of this stuff.

Peace? You've offered a good place to start, but I've taken enough drugs (in hospital settings) and seen others in the same condition, to know one kind of "serenity peace." Maybe that's what it really is, but somehow I've come to think of it as a more active thing instead of the Buddhist denial of the world and it's desires.

Now, none of this is making any sense, but I'd like you to start getting a feel for my confusion. (Why I should bug you about this is beyond me. Maybe I need another drink. By the way, for those of you concerned about my drinking habits, a bottle of Scotch usually lasts me a year and a half, a six pack of beer will keep me for about four months, and the only time I drink wine is at my mother's for the occasional dinner. I've never been drunk or had an illegal substance.)

If peace is just an internal feeling, then why the big deal? "I feel tired today," "I feel silly today," "I feel peaceful today." I sort of understand it, but it makes "peace" seem pretty trivial.

You've been fishing in the mountains, I'm sure you could make a good attempt to describe the awe, and the sense of overwhelming majesty surrounding you. What if you brought a friend along who saw it for the first time and said, "This is kind of a cute little spot, I think I'll get a postcard of it and make my garden look like this?"

You would know that your friend is wrong. Not that he has different taste than yours, but that he is flat out wrong in his response, there's something broken inside of him. Any normal person can't be in the mountains and describe them as "cute."

I wonder if peace is like that. Does "peace" require an understanding and acceptance of the Universe as it presents itself? I see it as a product of God, and no scientist has come up with any theory for it, let alone a better one. But it is a Universe with people in it, and evil, and love.

I think that we learn to acquire peace, or are given it. I can imagine fighting violently while in "peace," because it is the proper thing to do at that time.

See what a mess I've made of things?

New subject. Over the last fifteen years, I can remember hurting people three times. Once, because I was afraid to lose a good thing, once by accident and forgetfulness, and once because I had different priorities than another person and went my own way with no compromise. I'm not counting all of the times I must have hurt someone and I never knew about it.

Too much empathy? Maybe, that seems like a reasonable charge. Funny, though, my pharmacist said he was all out of anti-empathy pills, and didn't expect any more. Somethings we're just stuck with, I suppose.

In a few thousand years who's going to care? Well, if I'm right, God and my soul are going to care a lot.

New subject. I suppose I'm going to have to look into this Federal Reserve business. I've heard "Fiat currency" and "debt slavery" and "Unconstitutional," but I've never been able to put together a picture of this "monster." Strange, I don't feel up to it right now. I don't even understand the easy things.

That made me thirsty. Bartender, if you'd be so kind, I think I'd like a German beer please, not too heavy this time, thanks.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

a bottle of Scotch usually lasts me a year and a half, a six pack of beer will keep me for about four months, and the only time I drink wine is at my mother's for the occasional dinner. I've never been drunk or had an illegal substance.)

OK I believe I'm beginning to see the source of the problem here. German beer coming right up

Actually when you asked about peace I hadn't even thought of the artificial induced kind. That's a whole different animal.

Maybe peace is when you want German beer and there's only Coors Lite you can snatch one up without missing a beat or feeling shortchanged. Hmm.. This peace stuff is tough.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Expatt888! How good to see you again! It seems that we're developing real personalities, or more probably, showing our true ones, and each of us fit together like gears.

I toyed with the idea of highlighting Hernando's on last night's Reality Remix show, but it didn't feel quite right. It seemed as though I had to get approval from all of the patrons. Might there be a problem with broadcasting it, or does it even need to be "advertised?"

Oh, I would like to travel again. I feel like I'm looking at a Michelangelo statue, but I haven't moved my feet to see it from other angles. The people! Somehow the same, and somehow wildly different.

I was in Mexico in '69. Part of our trip was to a tequila factory. We were shown the plants used to make it, and walked around everywhere. The last stop was a vast metal vat. It was open at the top and had a green scum floating on top of what appeared and smelled like frog sewage.

The guide asked if anyone wanted to taste tequila. I believe I was the only one who raised my hand. Have you ever had warm, fermenting tequila from a paper Dixie cup? That might explain some of my drinking habits now.

My passport's still current, but my wallet isn't. When I'm rich and famous I'll get in touch with the Hernandos, and ask them to guide me around.

so far its elusive usually because leaders forget the responsibility to the wellbeing of the people and instead start wars to boost their ego's and make their bloodmoney .. or oppress their people with taxes .. overregulation and far too many laws ..

I understand that people are easily corrupted by fame, money, power, pride, etc. But what I don't understand is that leaders have only one mission, the well being of their people. Even in the military, if there are two ways to accomplish the mission, you pick the one that will get most of your buddies back in one piece.

That's all leaders have to do, improve the people. Make them wiser, healthier, more thoughtful, freer, more truly human. I don't know of a leader that does that.

Fully understand about shutting down over the pain of others .. one of many reasons prefer and need my solitude and distance from people and so-called "civilization" .. it gets to you because you have a heart and compassion for others .. time away from things helps have learned ..

Thanks for the understanding. It still makes me feel like a wimp, though. It's difficult for me to get away. I believe that, except for a few weekend conventions, I've been away on my own once in the last 15 years. Maybe it's time?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ketsuko, you sound like an All-American girl. Someone they could have put into a "Little House on the Prairie" novel with no questions asked. It makes me want to order a pink lemonade for you, or a Shirley Temple.

I'm still so confused (or have drunk so much) that all I can think to do is ask some questions which might lead to something useful.

Assuming that no law ever gets unanimous approval, does every law decrease peace? Is the ideal society the one with the fewest laws that still survives? Can a person born into a society with too many laws ever find peace? (That would rule out just about everybody in the Northern and Western Hemispheres, and a big chunk of what's left.)

What in the world was Jesus talking about when he said "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you?"

Nobody likes to pay taxes. If we pay taxes does that mean we're unhappy and not at peace?

I'm really sorry. I'm only talking this way, because it's exactly how I am at the moment. In the real world, I would have switched the subject or just flipped off some casual comment.

If we get past this, what do we do with "Truth," "Justice," "Love," "Beauty?" Maybe somebody needs to suggest an alternative topic? Or is this the kind of Truth Hernando's is looking for?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
Assuming that no law ever gets unanimous approval, does every law decrease peace?

I don't get this correlation. The original function of human law is to put a dampener on violence, and violence is the first remover of peace.

What in the world was Jesus talking about when he said "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you?"

From Westcott's commentary I borrow the phrase "the realised confidence of faith and fellowship with God".
The opposite of being "fearful and troubled".

edit on 4-9-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Disraeli, you're a gem. If I was ever to get drunk with somebody, it might very well be you. It could be very much a Laurel and Hardy evening.

As far as peace and laws, I didn't offer enough context. May i refer you to the most recent comment from ketsuko? Among other things, she says:

If you aren't comfortable like that, you either look to influence the group toward what you want to do, or you go along with what they're doing, but your unhappy about it. This creates friction particularly when you have whole groups like this.

Based on some of her comments on power and the city or the state, I thought she was talking about laws. I may have made a mistake, but I thought she was worried about people who were stuck with laws they didn't approve of.

HEY GUYS! Do we have a workable definition for "peace" here, or does it need some fine tuning?

From Westcott's commentary I borrow the phrase "the realised confidence of faith and fellowship with God".

DISRAELI, say something else smart. I could use it.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
say something else smart. I could use it.

All right, let me point out that when people met in the Old Testament, they did not ask each other about their health.
The question was, "do you have peace?"
The ideal of "peace" was to be sitting under the vines free from all disturbances, whether hailstorms or locusts or troublesome neighbours. A smooth, unruffled state.

edit on 4-9-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

DISRAELI, You're a scholar and a gentleman. Have one on me. Heck it's just about 7 p.m. here, I'll buy you dinner.

I didn't know that about the ancient Hebrews (I figure anything Old Testament is ancient). It makes a lot of sense, a little more intrusive than "How's it goin'," but it shows their care for each other. I like it.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
It's past midnight here, so I ought to be in bed.
I might take a packet of crisps before I go. Salt and vinegar flavour.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Well I can agree with this part anyway. The rest doesn't apply to me and yet I have peace.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

You've got it, anything for you. Thanks for the talk. By the way, are fish and chips anything special over there? I really enjoy what I get here, but I have the sneaking suspicion you keep the best for yourselves.

Stop back when you can, you're invaluable.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Bassago, you still can't see why your avatar is threatening and ominous? Don't change it, for goodness' sake. It's you, but recognize the mad dog lurking within.

No problem in my mind with you not relating to Jesus, that's between you and God. I'm happy you have peace. But, darn it, now I'm going to have to get my thesaurus. (See, I'm not drunk. I can say that without drooling or giggling.) "Unafraid" and "untroubled" just don't do it for me. I'll be looking for something snappier.

Say Big Guy, Got a question for you. Reality Remix is on just about every Wednesday. It's a bunch of members presenting half a dozen threads, discussing them with the other panelists, and taking questions. next week we're going back to being able to take phone calls. You got any idea for next week's show for me?

You know, those salt and vinegar crisps sound like a good idea, that and a glass of something like Sprite to wash it down.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Thread/topic ideas. One just popped into my head when you asked that but you'll need to hunt for it. One of the members and I can't remember who has a link as their signature. Something like "Take care of your thread participant's" or something like that.

Managing a thread topic and the posters within it is sometimes a daunting task. When to reply, when to ignore, when to alert mods, when to star or flag. Maybe some discussion of that would help the members, especially newer ones. Just a thought and it could only help folks, ATS as well.

You know my avatar is a faithful recreation of one of Philip Dick's most awesome novels, "The three stigmata of Palmer Eldridge." And everyone knows Palmer is a pussycat, right? Er, right.. help me out here.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Not a bad thought. I'll bounce it off adjensen and Sheepslayer27, they're the bosses.

As far as Dick? I only own one of his novels, The Penultimate Truth and a collection of his short stories. Truth was fun for me, and it fits in well with most ATS conspiracy theories about the media and control of the world, but that one didn't strike me as great.

Very imaginative, one of the original thinkers we talked about earlier. I'll hit the library tomorrow and put in an order for it. (they have to order books from other libraries, probably budget limitations.)

If the bosses don't go for a "how to run a thread" topic, here's one I'm 51-49 against, but I'd like your opinion. Should we publicize Hernando's? We'd get other ideas and personalities, but would we get thugs who wanted to crash the place? i really don't know, and I don't think ordering more vinegar and salt crisps will solve it for me.

Oh, does Hernando's need a juke box? I think we could post some of our favorites.
edit on 4-9-2014 by charles1952 because: capitalization

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

If you're going to put an order in at the library ask them to get "UBIK" by Philip Dick as well. Only about 120 pages and has always been my favorite of all his books.

Invite others to Hernando's? Sure why not, it's fine with me. Thugs, phhfffttt.

We're tough. Expat can be the bouncer.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

You're probably right about the thugs. Besides Expat888, who was it that was talking about combining Akido, swords, guns, artillery and drones into a single fighting technique? I may have gotten some of that a little wrong, but close enough.

I'll wait for one or two more opinions since they don't need anything definite until Sunday night, but I like your confidence. Hope it's not the liquor talking. By the way, for Hernando's Friday is fish night. I can't wait to see what magnificent delicacy is on the menu.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Ah, but the part I wrote you quoted was prefaced by the part I wrote about a person learning to be comfortable inside his or her own skin.

You have to learn to be comfortable with who YOU are, and when you get there, then you can learn to be comfortable with who and what others are, even when that doesn't conform precisely with who or what you think they should be. That is how you achieve peace - peace with yourself and peace with the world. It's a messy place, and you have to learn how to tolerate that and be content with it.

The law is a separate subject. My feelings on the law are that it exists to define what happens when one person violates the basic, natural rights of another. No more, no less. We should not expect it to prevent people from attempting to do this, but rather, we should expect it to provide a clear consequence that all can understand for doing so.

In this flawed world we live in, there will always be people who cannot achieve peace within themselves, and so they will not ever find peace with others.

As to how you find peace with yourself ... well ... I think we all have to figure that out for ourselves.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join