It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hernando's Hideaway. Another Thread "almost certainly not for you."

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bassago
Morning .. though its midnight here .. not seen our friendly bartender around .. think it between shifts ..

Its not a triple latte .. but heres a vietnam coffee .. similar but bit more kick to it and better flavour ..

Just in for a few .. the usual insomnia ..

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

Ahh ok .. had tried rusty nail once in my younger days lady that tended bar at a strip club off base back in my s.o.g days had recommended it .. was between tours in vietnam at the time ..

True .. its good to have a place to just sit back .. relax and enjoy a civil conversation ..

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Ah very nice, thanks. Considering what I've got here for coffee (I think it's a cross between sawdust and dirt) your offer sounds great!

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Bassago
That sounds like the stuff they used to put in the c's .. though the sliced peaches and packets of cigarettes in them were ok ..

Think everyone will wander in as they wake up ..

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Yeah everyone wanted the peaches. The ham and Lima beans though, ecchhk!

Just read a news story somewhere that due to issues with the coffee producers some of them are actually using fillers now. Sawdust and dirt were listed as top ingredients. So don't buy cheap coffee.

Ya know I really like that there are so many varied timezones here with the members. I think it reminds people that their country is not the whole world. Lot of people seem to forget that.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

Ah very nice, thanks. Considering what I've got here for coffee (I think it's a cross between sawdust and dirt) your offer sounds great!

mmmm Military coffee.
"not sure what is made of but im pretty sure it's been made with water from the latrine"

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
military coffee
"not sure what is made of but im pretty sure it's been made with water from the latrine"

Any fan of Blackadder knows a scene that goes with this idea.
The second half of the attached clip;

edit on 2-9-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut

originally posted by: Bassago

mmmm Military coffee.

Army Coffee, OMG
How I miss those packets of Pure Caffeine

When we made it into a base camp, I would set in the mess hall and beg for Coffee,,,, Nothing like it!!
Those were the days!!

You could take those packets out and rub on your jigger bites or ant bites or even a Blood Thirsty Vietnam Mosquitos and kill the itch and pain!
I liked the little four pack of smokes, Chesterfields were the best or Lucky Strikes, Marlboro's were always trade-able for a pound cake.
I still have a P-38 can opener for those who don't know what one is.

Come join me in my hutch / bunker, the rats are bad but I feed'em Beans and Winnie's , so who's for a warm beer and some memories.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: guohua

Im game for a warm beer!
I was a dry climate infantryman but not much has changed since nam.
Best song to run out of the back of a CH-47

edit on 9/2/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Am I the only tea drinker?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Am I the only tea drinker?

i like tea but only before bed

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Hi guys. G, could you find a half way decent bottle of tequila? I think I'll have a glass, too. Yeah, I've been gone for a bit. Fighting monsters. Nothing like Expat888's or some of the others, but I'm tired and defeated. Hoping for time to pass and things to get better. I don't want to go back to playing "fog driving" and "7." I didn't know where else to just sit and take in the sights.

Some interesting news. Among the off-topic threads started in the last 30 days, you guys have given Hernando's the number one spot, and we have at least three weeks to go. I'm glad it's working out.

Oh, I brought some cigars if anyone wants one. Nothing special, but they're smokable.

I think I'll sit over there.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I was lying in bed last night and the closest book was some of Plato's Dialogues. One of his positions is that a huge problem in the world is that we don't really know right from wrong, because if we knew what was right, we'd do it.

I don't buy it. Anybody want to support him? I'm probably missing the point.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
I was lying in bed last night and the closest book was some of Plato's Dialogues. One of his positions is that a huge problem in the world is that we don't really know right from wrong, because if we knew what was right, we'd do it.

I don't buy it. Anybody want to support him? I'm probably missing the point.

we don't know right from wrong other than societal standards i think. that's why we are taught "right and wrong" as children

Maybe im not explaining it well enough but i don't know how else to explain it

edit on 9/2/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: oops

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

I disagree with him. I don't think it's that simple. I think we are forever clashing between our higher nature and our animal nature.

What I mean is that we all have the Golden Rule embedded, and I think as far as that goes, Plato is right. However, we none of us are separated from our biological animal nature, either. So that impulse toward the Golden Rule and the altruism is demands forever clashes with the survival instinct and the selfishness it demands. And frankly, I've noticed that the "right" thing to do in terms of your virtues and the Golden Rule almost always more or less demands that you overrule your base survival instinct to the extent that sometimes, you are even risking or outright sacrificing your life for your fellow human beings.

When put that way, my grandmother was absolutely right - the right choice is seldom the easy one.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I think Plato is the one who's missing the point, because he cannot conceive of a will that might genuinely not want to do what is right.
That's the result of his focus on knowledge as the key to everything.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I'm thinking there are many types of right or wrong.

Socially taught right/wrong.

Innate known right/wrong. Some might call it spiritual.

Learned right/wrong. As in never taught and morally bankrupt gets arrested.

There's probably more types.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Yeah, that was the problem with his "philosopher-kings." Near perfect rulers formed from their very birth and molded to be the leaders of the nation when they turned 50.

People are perverse. We can know, either through reason or an innate sense what's right and wrong, but it's usually (as was pointed out) harder to do the right thing.

What a different world we would live in if it was hard to do bad and easy to do good.

I don't know who is filling in for G, but that bottle of tequila would be handy.

You guys have pointed out a truth that I have missed. Certainly, truth, beauty, and love are important, but so is the strength needed to live that way.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I think Plato is the one who's missing the point, because he cannot conceive of a will that might genuinely not want to do what is right.
That's the result of his focus on knowledge as the key to everything.

Not even so much someone who wants to do the wrong thing as someone who wallows in their base, hedonistic desire. Very often when you do so, it winds up being the wrong thing to do even though it feels so right at the time.

Just for a simple example, we're all drinking so much at the bar and it seems like the right thing to do because we're all enjoying ourselves, but how many of us will wake up with hangovers in the morning and suffer greatly for making the wrong decision and not moderating our intake.

edit on 2-9-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You know, ketsuko, you're absolutely right. But I reject Plato by saying sometimes I just don't care. Sometimes, I'll go into the hospital with an unlit cigar in my mouth, just to be difficult. or I'll do some other things which the AMA might say are definitely risky behaviors.

Isn't temporary insanity one of the more charming characteristics of humanity?

I've never been drunk (sheltered child that I am), but sometimes the present and reality pushes us into places where we don't see that there is a choice. I suppose that's one of the reasons we need friends, as protection, a wall between the world and us.

If that makes any sense, "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din."

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join