the green flame

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Probably not for skinning as drag is an issue with aerodynamics but for underlying structures or fairings as a replacement for honeycomb it would be ideal..
edit on 26-3-2015 by Blackfinger because: speeling,spalling,spelling

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: framedragged
a reply to: Forensick

We're just speculating about what you could potentially do if you could generate a plasma which could produce ultrasonic waves in the atmosphere.

Plasmas are just what you get when you put so much energy into a gas that its electrons jump ship and go their own way. The e/m interaction between the positive and negative ions in plasmas give them lots of unique properties. One is that plasmas vibrate. This means you can do the same thing you do with a speaker diaphragm and vibrate the plasma just right right to produce sound waves. 'Ultrasonic' sound waves are just sound waves above the range of our hearing. It's just sound waves that are too high pitched for us to hear.

Based on some scientific papers and a forum mystery from last year there has been some speculation that you can move air out of an airplane's way using a plasma generated ultrasound bubble, which could result in a plane experiencing much less fricitonal drag as it flew/moved through the atmosphere.

Definitely a lot of rabbit holes to explore if you feel like losing some time to the potentially mundane or the possibly fantastic hehe.

I visualize it like this: The air molecules are excited by the ultrasonic array and using the extra energy imparted move out of the way of the focused fields, creating a corridor of extremely low pressure. The pressure from every other direction pushes you through the corridor, as the higher pressure will always tend to equalize itself by moving into the lower pressure zone.

If you're sitting at the bottom of the swimming pool and you blow out some air bubbles, they float up to the top, right? The air has so much less density it floats to the surface just like that, seeking equilibrium. What if you could make the top of the pool (the lower pressure zone)on the wall next to you instead of at the top of the water? Then your air bubble would flow over there instead of to the top...

As I was thinking up this post it occurred to me that the plasma could possibly simply be a side effect of the excitation of the molecules. Perhaps some of them get so excited in the process that they go plasma for an instant. Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: engineercutout

Sure, sounds quite a bit like blowing bubbles in front of a fast-moving torpedo, reducing drag. Russians have one. (Probably not that great compared to regular torpedos as they're super noisy and short range and prevents sensitive sonar seeking.)

I think reducing drag and the disspation from a supersonic shockwave would be the primary benefit. You have to 'get more' than you pay, as you'd have to expend substantial energy powering whatever emitters are trying to make low pressure in front of you.

Suppose you can increase the speed of sound in the air in front of you? Over the ground velocity which used to be supersonic is now subsonic.
edit on 10-4-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Problem is airframes change their aerodynamic properties in different attitudes and speeds.Modelling and wind tunnel tests will find "hotspots" where shockwaves form and boundary layers will separate though.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I think I finally caught this bugger. Problem is it certainly was anything but quiet.

Around 1:am or so on the north facing side massive gutteral after burner sounds shook everything. This isn't uncommon coming from the base but for the life of me I couldn't see anything.

Then at 2 I went to get beer and a burrito. Now facing the open valley I hear this beast of a sound coming my way and can't see anything. Then a beautiful emerald streak shoots across the sky heading east. It resembled a meteorite but was much richer and fuller looking. People in vegas MUST of heard this thing, the sound spanned the valley.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Arpad

How high was this streak you think? Your description of it sounds right. How fast do you think you saw it go?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Hard to say how high, but once the streak appeared it must of been going pretty damn fast. It made noise but no boom, so maybe it was fairly high.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join