It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the??...Why so many flags?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: Aldakoopa

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
a reply to: Tucket

WHY do you even care?! They are virtual flags, you can't do anything with them and nobody besides you will ever care you got a flag.

I personally wish ATS would do away with flags because it's clear many people like yourself care way too much about them. It's ridiculous.

I never look at flags. I look at content.

Also when SO makes a thread it tends to get a lot of flags.
Does it really matter? No!

NO NO NO

The purpose of flags is not to reward, its to ensure important topics get onto the home page!!!

Yes, but the stars are for reward. If you get enough of those, I heard you get a free personal pan pizza!

I'm saving for the ats T-Shirt

I've got one.
There's a pic around somewhere but I have no idea how to access that part of my account. Tech dinosaur.

For real?

How can you be a tech dinosaur AND be a super mod

Chance to prove your worthiness, check your messages

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I've got to go with the majority of the posters here. I like herd mentality with just a little bit of sycophancy thrown in.

What do you think Intrepid? Should the flag system be eliminated? As mblahnikluver said:

WHY do you even care?! They are virtual flags, you can't do anything with them and nobody besides you will ever care you got a flag.

I personally wish ATS would do away with flags because it's clear many people like yourself care way too much about them. It's ridiculous.

I never look at flags. I look at content. (Emphasis added)

It seems that there is no particular reason for so many flags. It's certainly not a reward for a brilliant thread. Give it some thought.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I say it's because the owner authored the thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

I'm ambivalent on it. Just another function that just doesn't affect me in the least.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

NO NO NO

The purpose of flags is not to reward, its to ensure important topics get onto the home page!!!

You truly believe that? What a joke.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I thought flagging was just a way to keep track of the threads you are interested in...not really an indication of approval. I thought stars were for that.

edit on 6-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

No because fake flags on a forum is no something I care to even waste time on or even ponder.

I'd rather ponder actual issues than something so silly.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

NO NO NO

You truly believe that? What a joke.

So when you come to ats, do you look on the listings? you know, those lists that are ranked according to flags!

You just said
"I'd rather ponder actual issues than something so silly"
So how do you find those issues?
Its flags that bring those issues to your attention!

Without flags we'd have a terrible time finding those "issues"

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Maybe someone should report SO to a mod for a False Flag !!!

I nominate Destinyone.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Maybe someone should report SO to a mod for a False Flag !!!

I nominate Destinyone.

I say we tie him to the spanky tree, I'll pass out switches....

Des

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

It's difficult to agree with you. I just looked at the listing of recent posts (it's the bullhorn on the top banner menu) and found 187 flags for a thread asking "Has anyone had more than one paranormal experience?" (I may have a word out of place.)

The most recent Jesse Ventura thread has 54 flags, an older one also has 50+ "Alien artifacts on the Moon . . ." has 61. "You want proof of flying saucers? This is it." 206 flags.

How about 63 flags for "Mystery Siberian Holes, Aliens Retrieving Ancient Aliens Siberian Weapons."

I don't know why ATSers give out flags. I'm becoming convinced that no one knows and no one cares.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952 I give a flag to call attention to a thread and try to get it some good real estate on the home page, that's it.
I don't think I've ever given one to SO , however springer has gotten a few.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: charles1952 I give a flag to call attention to a thread and try to get it some good real estate on the home page, that's it.
I don't think I've ever given one to SO , however springer has gotten a few.

Thats exactly what I was saying, they are not a reward, they have a purpose, to bring attention to threads that members feel others ought to see.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

Orrr...wait for it...is the owner repeatedly flagging his own thread?

Yes. The owners of the site have disguised their stock shares as flags and figured out a devious plot to embezzle the shares away from us by flagging their own threads. You cracked it.

Seriously, though... why would the owners care if their threads are flagged? I imagine we flag their threads because it's nice to have them come down from Mod-Land and write to us. It's actually cool to see and it's normally why I flag them, even the ones that aren't really of very much interest to me.

There's nothing wrong with flagging their threads just because they are the owners. Who knows, maybe they have a naughty and nice list based on whether or not you flagged their threads. Enjoy your lump of coal this Christmas, party pooper.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

It's difficult to agree with you. I just looked at the listing of recent posts (it's the bullhorn on the top banner menu) and found 187 flags for a thread asking "Has anyone had more than one paranormal experience?" (I may have a word out of place.)

The most recent Jesse Ventura thread has 54 flags, an older one also has 50+ "Alien artifacts on the Moon . . ." has 61. "You want proof of flying saucers? This is it." 206 flags.

How about 63 flags for "Mystery Siberian Holes, Aliens Retrieving Ancient Aliens Siberian Weapons."

I don't know why ATSers give out flags. I'm becoming convinced that no one knows and no one cares.

Dont want to be rude, but you are one opinion amongst many, and the masses have spoken with their ability to flag what THEY feel is important.
I personally dont rate jesse ventura threads but you seem to, did you flag them?
"You want proof of flying saucers? This is it." 206 flags.
Thats one of mine so I'm a little biased

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Dear VoidHawk,

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

Congratulations on your thread.

My opinion is just one among many. I could easily be mistaken and "Mystery Siberian Holes, Aliens Retrieving Ancient Aliens Siberian Weapons." might be vitally important.

I didn't flag Jesse Ventura.

The question remains, do people flag threads because they think it's important, or because they agree with the OP, or because they think they can use it as a hammer against their opponents? We don't know why people "Flag" a presidential candidate, and I don't think we'll know why people flag threads.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
What, you never heard of sucking up? It is an Epidemic in the USA.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Ok, I disagree but thanks anyways for your response. I use flags to pick out threads which I feellike wasting my time on. Of course, if I see a title which genuinely interests me than I will check ou the thread regardless of flag count.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: Tucket

Orrr...wait for it...is the owner repeatedly flagging his own thread?

Yes. The owners of the site have disguised their stock shares as flags and figured out a devious plot to embezzle the shares away from us by flagging their own threads. You cracked it.

Seriously, though... why would the owners care if their threads are flagged?

Not sure. I just brought it up because honestly the thread in question seemed biased to me..

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

originally posted by: charles1952

The question remains, do people flag threads because they think it's important, or because they agree with the OP, or because they think they can use it as a hammer against their opponents? We don't know why people "Flag" a presidential candidate, and I don't think we'll know why people flag threads.

What about the option to just keep track of threads of interest? That's how I use it. I thought others did too.
edit on 6-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join