It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC Diner Offers 15 Percent Discount For ‘Praying In Public’ Over Meal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Praying in Public

I think this is a great idea to get good people to frequent the diner! First we hear about stores and restaurants posting signs about their support for the 2nd amendment and the right for citizens to carry firearms, but now this diner is offering a discount for any customers who are seen praying over their meal in public.

The Facebook post of the receipt from Mary’s Gourmet Diner quickly received thousands of shares and the restaurant took to its own page to explain: “Yes, if we see you praying, you get 15% off your bill.”

I would love to visit this place. Many think they are losing a lot of money for giving out the discount so much. I know I would be offering that 15% in a tip and then some, as I believe many others do.

What does ATS think? Are those terrible Christians at it again with their cruel intentions and obvious struggles to bring the US down? What say you!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

What a neat idea!

Although this will probably offend some people.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I'm agnostic and not offended. In fact I could lower my head for 30 seconds to get 15% off.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

As an atheist I say: good for them. If everyone is happy with it, and it causes no harm. Then I'm fine with it.

The real question is: Does the prayer only count if it's to the christian god?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Does it matter who you are praying to? Gee, I wonder if it would offend the owners if I pray to Satan before my meal...

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Naturally it will. But what doesn't these days?

What I enjoy about this is these people aren't ashamed to show their beliefs to their customers. While this can often be social suicide (especially in a food industry business), they are still putting their values ahead of making money and that speaks volumes to me.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I wonder if this applies to Muslims and other non-Christians.

I would love to get a discount for casting a circle and giving a shout out to my deities. I'll even bring my own pentagram tablecloth!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
. . . . .aaaand this is where the fun comes in!

It's not enough to support/reward Christianity.

I see lawsuits in the future because someone couldn't pray to "their own deity".

Damned shame.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Looks like the owners are gonna get chewed out by Jesus when they get to heaven...

Matthew 6:5

5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.…

And the diners better not act impatient or hungry:

Matthew 6:16

When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

It never mentions they are Christian or the discount is only offered to Christians.

I suppose I assumed the store owners were Christian, but I'm sure the 15% off is offered for any prayer.

I believe this is more about religion and having the freedom to express it openly than it is to push one belief over another.

And as for your cited scriptures. Praying in public is not a sin. Praying in public and yelling on street corners to get the attention from others to appear holy is the sin.

If you don't like that this restaurant is doing this then ignore it, they are not trying to offend.
edit on AMSat, 02 Aug 2014 10:36:08 -050082014Saturday0262014814 by ArnoldNonymous because: added more to reply

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous

It never mentions they are Christian or the discount is only offered to Christians.

I suppose I assumed the store owners were Christian, but I'm sure the 15% off is offered for any prayer.

I believe this is more about religion and having the freedom to express it openly than it is to push one belief over another.

This is North Carolina you're talking about here. Something tells me you're way wrong if you think they won't be upset at someone praying to Satan loud enough for anyone to hear.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Yes and I ill go so far as to say this is stupid for all the reasons you mention. Not to mention the sort it attracts, cheep skates and other who will be doing it simply for the 15% off.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
. . . . .aaaand this is where the fun comes in!

It's not enough to support/reward Christianity.

I see lawsuits in the future because someone couldn't pray to "their own deity".

Damned shame.

Are you telling me a restaurant passing out discounts for loudly praising Satan, Allah, Thor, etc, but not Jesus wouldn't be met with a legal and physical outcry from the Christian communities?

Or, better yet, an atheist diner that gave everybody a discount who didn't pray so you would only lose your discount if caught saying grace before a meal.

You know people get upset about this because everybody knows it is a huge double-standard. Obviously, a lawsuit would be stupid and I hope this restaurant doesn't get sued but it certainly shouldn't be immune to public scrutiny. I honestly would support their right to do this if it were in my town. Doesn't mean I wouldn't point out any hypocrisy they may have.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Yes and I ill go so far as to say this is stupid for all the reasons you mention. Not to mention the sort it attracts, cheep skates and other who will be doing it simply for the 15% off.

What's wrong with saving some coin? Are coupons a bad idea too?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Logarock

What's wrong with saving some coin? Are coupons a bad idea too?

Only if they expire before the rapture.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Who said they were only giving discounts to certain prayers to certain deities? Prayer is silent.

reply to: beezzer

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Are you telling me a restaurant passing out discounts for loudly praising Satan, Allah, Thor, etc, but not Jesus wouldn't be met with a legal and physical outcry from the Christian communities?

I'm sure there would be those that would object.

Or, better yet, an atheist diner that gave everybody a discount who didn't pray so you would only lose your discount if caught saying grace before a meal.

I'd love to see that!

You know people get upset about this because everybody knows it is a huge double-standard. Obviously, a lawsuit would be stupid and I hope this restaurant doesn't get sued but it certainly shouldn't be immune to public scrutiny. I honestly would support their right to do this if it were in my town. Doesn't mean I wouldn't point out any hypocrisy they may have.

Actually, I think that atheists will get upset and will even wager that atheists will attempt to sue.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Who said they were only giving discounts to certain prayers to certain deities? Prayer is silent.

Agreed. I don't have a problem with any type of prayer. But I'm predicting that there will be people with issues.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Looks like the owners are gonna get chewed out by Jesus when they get to heaven...

Matthew 6:5

5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.…

And the diners better not act impatient or hungry:

Matthew 6:16

When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

if they are fasting, I doubt they would be in a restaurant.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

Agreed. I don't have a problem with any type of prayer. But I'm predicting that there will be people with issues.

Probably. Because people today can't mind their own damn business. Cripes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join