It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC Diner Offers 15 Percent Discount For ‘Praying In Public’ Over Meal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: Cuervo

Yes and I ill go so far as to say this is stupid for all the reasons you mention. Not to mention the sort it attracts, cheep skates and other who will be doing it simply for the 15% off.

What's wrong with saving some coin? Are coupons a bad idea too?

Do you mean prayer coupons? lol

Hay they better watch out. The IRS may come in and tell food guy he is liable for the taxes on that 15%.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well fudge, for me to do the equivalent I'd need to thank the server, the chef, the owner, track the ingredients back to the person who drove them here, and do this back til I found every farm and person that worked on it, and thank all of them, and then when done I'd need to apologize to the animal and plants I was about to eat as well... and since no actual "prayer" is occurring during this long web of thanking all those I feel are actually responsible for my meal, I'd probably not even get the discount...

To be honestly kind of find giving thanks over a meal rather masochistic.

I mean let's think about this rationally for a second. If there is a God and he created us and the universe and everything in it. He's responsible for it's structure and how the system of the world and universe functions. Which means, he's responsible for all that follows: You need to eat or you die. If you don't gain nourishment on a regular basis you suffer. To eat you must destroy another life, another of God's creatures. The whole reason you're sitting at that meal, is because other beings had to suffer for you to be there and if you don't do so, you will suffer and die as well. Not to mention acquiring a meal is work for all involved. All because God, the responsible party has made it so. And only God can be given credit for this as it's not about morality, or subjective ideas, it's how the universe function and works. There is no denying this, nor God's responsibility of such anymore than your child is responsible for the birdhouse he built.

So to me giving thanks to God over your meal is bypassing everyone that actually deserves your thanks and respect, and thanking the one individual who deserves it least. Is like being pushed in front of a bus, then pulled out of the way just in time by someone else, then walking up the person that pushed you in front of the bus in the first place and saying "thank you" while completely ignoring the person who actually saved your life.

I just find giving thanks for one's food to God the most ridiculous concept I can imagine. It makes zero rational or logical sense.

Edited Addendum: "Unless of course you are a sadomasochist who not only enjoys the suffering of others, but suffering yourself as well."
edit on 2-8-2014 by ArdenWolf because: Addendum

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Who said they were only giving discounts to certain prayers to certain deities? Prayer is silent.

reply to: beezzer

Well it will have to be if the IRS gets wind of this. You know? Some gods are more political than others.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

originally posted by: pennydrops

Sooner or later, there will be fighting over god in the restaurant. It's humans after all,

Cheap food though, will shut anyone up.

Guess that doesn't work in the Middle East though.

Im sure it wouldn't.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Does it matter who you are praying to? Gee, I wonder if it would offend the owners if I pray to Satan before my meal...

I'm with you.

There's a difference between someone, even a family, silently bowing their heads for a few seconds vs someone openly verbally praying --- often in "share mode".

Isn't there something in the bible about praying silently?

I don't need, nor want, unsolicited proselytizing in a public business. I think it's called Respecting Others.

link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I wonder if they would give the Westboro tools a discount.

I would imagine they would get 100% discount.

Really, I dont know any Christian that would give them anything for their beliefs.

link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Yeah I'm betting that most of their customers are doing just that. I'm a believer in the law of attraction and the universe loves gratitude. I'm always thankful for my great food and the universe hears that and gives me more to be grateful for. We do eat well at my house. a reply to: intrepid

Yea but what if the food is already jacked up 15% in price before you set down? You know like a big sale where prices are simply marked down to what they normally charge anyway.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Does it matter who you are praying to? Gee, I wonder if it would offend the owners if I pray to Satan before my meal...

I'm with you.

There's a difference between someone, even a family, silently bowing their heads for a few seconds vs someone openly verbally praying --- often in "share mode".

I don't need, nor want, unsolicited proselytizing in a public business. I think it's called Respecting Others.

Yes there is, it has been mentioned 2 times already.

Respecting others but not their beliefs????

Does somebody praying really offend you that much? Really?
Do you7 often listen in to others conversations while in a restraunt? If not then why would it be an issue?
edit on 2-8-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I'm with you.

I'm an atheist. Please tell me you respect me. Mind if I share my thoughts with you at the next table?

I don't want over sharing of anything when I go to a restaurant.

I just want to have my own intimate experience with my food and whoever I'm with.

edit on 2-8-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Pershaps. But the idea is to get people to 'pray' whether or not they believe it.

There is a small controversy in Buddhist circles about the 'wisdom' of so called 'mindfulness' teaching to business leaders and the military for purely materialist reasons. The argument against is obvious - that it doesn't attract people to 'spiritual growth' and walking the path with integrity (both essental to all Buddist Paths); the argument for this seeming commercialization of 'mindfulness' is that regardless of intent (more money, better killing, etc) it does get people into a regular pactise of meditation, which in turn begins to change the very structure of their brains. People see the results and keeping coming back for more and eventually will see the 'other side' so to speak.

About twenty years ago I had a rabid argument with a friend (still a friend) about his doing business in China. He, a fearce anti-government regulation almost a libertarian, was doing business with a totalitarian country. His response, how better to show them the benefits of the free market. (Twenty years on are arguments are different - but always fun and thought provoking).
edit on 2-8-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: pennydrops

I have meet plenty of intolerant Christians who probably think those folks are the real deal.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I'm with you.

I'm an atheist. Please tell me you respect me.

I just want to have my own intimate experience with my food and whoever I'm with.

I do respect your beliefs and would happily let you tell me about them and practice them. It is a right we should all have.

So you do not want anyone else in the restaurant making a sound?
If you dont mind others conversing in a restaurant, why would you mind them praying? Would you even know they were praying unless you were listening in to their conversation.
You could always pick another restaurant if you are so offended.
edit on 2-8-2014 by pennydrops because: cant spell restaurant

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
My religion requires that I paint my ass blue and stand on my head during prayer. I don't think it's worth dealing with the cops to get .75 cents off of a burger.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
My religion requires that I paint my ass blue and stand on my head during prayer. I don't think it's worth dealing with the cops to get .75 cents off of a burger.

What religion is that?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I guess prayer, unless loud, can't be any worse then kids turning the restaurant into a play ground.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I'm with you.

I'm an atheist. Please tell me you respect me. Mind if I share my thoughts with you at the next table?

So you want everyone to adhere to your specific beliefs when you are in public?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

I paint mine red.

You're doing it wrong.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Closest I've come to honestly praying over a meal was my giving thanks/apologizing to the food source. Used to thank/apologize to the animal life that died so I may live.

I've had to pretend pray cause of social situations, but I hated it because I find the actual concept quite loathsome and repugnant for the reasons listed above.

So honestly I just wouldn't eat here since I find the concept horrid.

I call sadism as I see it, and the structure of eat or be eaten is sadistic in form, and no one deserves thanks for that.

Is actually due to the natural order that I cannot believe in a good, caring, loving God. Any god, by the very nature of the universe, is cold and neutral a total sadist at worse.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

a reply to: pennydrops

I have meet plenty of intolerant Christians who probably think those folks are the real deal.

probably?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Great post. And its all good considering my granddad made me pray at dinner. LOL

And that chines thing is working out well. How much do we owe them now?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join