It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well-connected people buying land/building bug out locations in rural areas...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: liejunkie01

Stocking food to last a month isn't that expensive if you buy it on sale and use your pantry for rotation purposes. Every time we go to the store we do impulse buying, so rotating a pantry can actually save money in the longrun as you do not have to go to the store as often. The money saved can build the pantry a little bigger over time. Buy stuff you normally eat, but foods that are canned versions or dried versions. Make sure it tastes good before buying too much.

Six cans of fruit, ten cans of veggies, three bags of rice or noodles, ten small cans tuna or and a couple cans of spam. and a box of bisquick and some water. one soy sauce and some seasoning. That's less than fifty bucks and it will keep you for a couple of weeks minimum in an emergency.

You can do much better by just buying many different varieties of soup! They will last for a few years also.

Yeah but a lot of soups aren't nutrient/calorie dense enough. For example, a lot have enough calories for one meal, if that.

i'd go with varieties of chili as it's much more filling, also keeps a while, and has lots of protein and calories. Probably double that of most soups.

You can buy many varying soups now, even with chilli in them... veg, beef, tomato, oxtail... ministrone which has spaghetti, beans, peas, carrots, garlic in it... you just add some chilli to it... add chilli and garlic to all of them if ya wanted.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I have to laugh at people who think they are going to be able to evacuate to some mountain hideout when TSHTF. If it ever happens, it is going to trap you right where you live. Do you think the military won't take over every national park and wilderness area. Do you think police will allow you to just freely pass with all your belongings, that is, if they even control the roads?
When Rome fell, the who people ran to the hills died, were enslaved, or became bandits themselves. People who stayed put had a chance at least. While the population went from about a million to less than a hundred thousand, it still meant thousands survived in the center of the collapse, and there was time to adapt for many. It would be the same way again, some people will be fine in the big cities. Some people will be so far off the grid they notice little. Either way, most people are best off if they stay where they live.
IMO, the best thing to do if you are worried about this is to move to a medium sized town of 50 to 70 thousand people, in an area that produces and exports food, and is that near, but not in a large wilderness area / Headwater area. The farther from any military installations, and especially large cities the better.
My rationale is that is most cases, political control will break down to the local level. In cities way over 70K, you will have trouble getting a single organization in charge, at least at first. In cities much smaller than 50K you have issues with lack of facilities that will become valuable, like hospitals, fuel and food storage facilities, machine shops, chemical/food processing, militia bases, etc. You also will lack enough potential manpower to raise a defense force of sufficient size and technical capability to fend off the mob armies that will form from the road gangs and hardened city survivors. The numbers vary for each situation, but in general you want a community that will likely rally around a strong but fair leader, and then use its resources and skills to build an alliance with nearby like minded communities.
People who think they can just run to the hills don't understand that only works if you already own them.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: Metallicus
I can't afford to survive an apocalypse, so my plan is to just live until the SHTF and then quietly die in a corner some place.

Yeah, that's pretty much the same plan I have too. Although I don't know for sure if I'll go quietly or not. Just have to wait and see on that part.

I figure I can at the very least afford one last bottle of booze, some decent smoke and just find a nice place to sit and watch the world end. That shouldn't take too long to arrange either as long as it doesn't all come to a sudden end that is.

Besides, I'm not sure I'd want to survive anyway. I'm already feeling kinda cheated now with the way the world and it's people are going. If it should get much worse, who the hell wants to hang around for that??? The Ego Maniacs with their Death Grip on the material world can have it at that point.

Ditto. I'm fairly certain at this point that we are in a final stage of something in this world, just don't know the exact timeframe. Likely nobody really knows but many are becoming aware that it will happen in our lifetimes sooner rather than later. I'm broke as a joke. Staying sober (2yrs now) but yeah the world's getting pretty shi**y out there now. so although I can't afford to prep for anything, if/when TSHTF, I'll decide at that point what to do or not do. May even have myself a last drink lol.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: awakendhybrid

Is it even safe to store water in those with the plastic and them not being fully airtight? Do you factor in water for washing also?

We rotate out the water. If it comes to drinking I will boil it before consuming.

Drinking comes first, then washing. I have plans to catch rain water from the roof when it rains for other water needs. We have a pond and creek nearby also.

If TSHTF you will have to change up your lifestyle a little. You might not always smell like roses. After all it will be survival, not boys/girls night out.

The problem with public water, creeks, lakes, ponds, or rivers will be security. Gotta look out for the crazies.

If it gets too bad we will bug out to the inlaws cabin/farm by the river bottoms. It ia about 20 miles away.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer
Good morning ATS... I love this thread! I don't post a lot, but read often..... Funny, I was making my rounds at 3:30 a.m. and was actually thinking to myself and calculating how long I could survive a Zombie Apocalypse, more for something to do that early in the morning, but, this thread will have to do.... I firmly believe I could go a year or more with just what I have at my disposal. Barring any barbarian hordes of course. I work for very wealthy people and I have to say, the great majority are very fine people. I manage properties..... I have generators, both portable and 2 85,000 watt generators. The big ones run on propane and let's just say the tanks are large enough that I would have no worries for at least a year probably much longer. So much water I wouldn't go thru a 10th of it before rainy season would allow replenishment and more food (long shelf life) that I would probably gain a few pounds. I am also about 100 feet from the Gulf of Mexico so I consider that a huge source of food if it is safe to exit the 10 story condo building. Hurricane shutters ad even more protection and block any light sources I may be emitting. Funny that I was just thinking of this same subject on a different scale just this morning. I only have 2 little old ladies that live here year round and the vast majority come for a month or two in the winter months, some from as far away as Spain. Single, no children, marine corps for 8 years..... After reading this thread in it's entirety, I have a much better shot than most of you.... Maybe I'll invite a few of you over........ However, much like several of you, I really haven't decided if I would just say screw it and eat a bullet.....

Tez

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Thats exactly what we do. We are prepped for a three month situation. We want to prep up for a six month prep. (any longer than that and my autoimmune meds would run out and I wouldn't want to be here without them anyways.)

Buy in bulk and rotate pantry. Rice. Beans. Cereals. Spaghetti. Heck, I found some of those ol' cans of brown bread at the local Super G. And get some water barrels as well as a bottle of plain clorox and check survival instructions for the very small amount of clorox to put in water.

But what you said about buying in bulk and rotating the pantry .. that's dead on.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
Additionally, I have a chronic and debilitating health condition - which whilst not lethal, would cause me to be living with near unbearable levels of pain should the nationalised healthcare system fall apart.

This is a serious consideration. MANY people are in that situation. If there was a situation in which medical prescriptions were cut off for three months ... for six months ... for a year .... A lot of people would die. And a lot more people would wish they could die because of chronic illness. I have a six month supply of my medications and the only reason I am able to do that is mail order. After six months I won't have my autoimmune meds and life would become unbearable. So I totally hear what you are saying ....

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
What I am saying is that unless you are staying put, with the weight and size of most soups and their weight/calorie/nutrient ratios, it isn't worth carrying if traveling.

Imagine carrying 40 cans. The only ones probably worth carrying are the most caloric/nutrient dense, including chili.

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: rickymouse

Stocking food to last a month isn't that expensive if you buy it on sale and use your pantry for rotation purposes. Every time we go to the store we do impulse buying, so rotating a pantry can actually save money in the longrun as you do not have to go to the store as often. The money saved can build the pantry a little bigger over time. Buy stuff you normally eat, but foods that are canned versions or dried versions. Make sure it tastes good before buying too much.

Six cans of fruit, ten cans of veggies, three bags of rice or noodles, ten small cans tuna or and a couple cans of spam. and a box of bisquick and some water. one soy sauce and some seasoning. That's less than fifty bucks and it will keep you for a couple of weeks minimum in an emergency.

You can do much better by just buying many different varieties of soup! They will last for a few years also.

Yeah but a lot of soups aren't nutrient/calorie dense enough. For example, a lot have enough calories for one meal, if that.

i'd go with varieties of chili as it's much more filling, also keeps a while, and has lots of protein and calories. Probably double that of most soups.

You can buy many varying soups now, even with chilli in them... veg, beef, tomato, oxtail... ministrone which has spaghetti, beans, peas, carrots, garlic in it... you just add some chilli to it... add chilli and garlic to all of them if ya wanted.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Umm. maybe it's as simple as page 5? The land is cheap after all?

usda01.library.cornell.edu...

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer
I have a friend who was chatting to a 33rd degree freemason,
this guy left the masons because he couldn't handle the pressure of choosing what 80% of the population was to die
who knows hey, but I do believe there are entities working to prevent this so its quite possible these maniacs who run our planet won't be able to.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
or maybe people would wake up and learn about all the natural products available to heal ourselves.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Here is something to consider. If you eat a lot of beans, which contain Leucine Isolucine and valine, you need to make sure you have something to supply niacin. Some hot sauce should be stocked. A little bottle of tabasco sauce is all you need. A few drops can supply the needed niacin to make sure you do not have some of the symptoms of niacin deficiency. Tomatoes have niacin, but too much niacin is also not good. The imbalance can go either way. Potatoes contain adequate niacin to balance out their chemicals. If you eat a lot of certain meats, the three above chemicals can also cause problems so having a little bbq sauce on the chicken can help.

Our bodies give us cravings when they sense we need certain chemistry but the evidence we view says that it is bad to eat some foods so people avoid them. Then they get run down from a long forming deficiency which they cannot figure out. Pellagra can form over years, and it does not have to be full blown pellagra. It can be a mild case which makes you weak. Too much niacin can cause a deficiency in potassium also which can lead to problems with taking toxins from cells. Our cravings have also been hijacked by too many tyramines and glutamates. Excessive intake of aged foods can raise blood pressure in some cases, which can do organ damage. If your body contains proper amounts of tyraminase, a copper enzyme, it can utilize these, but sometimes the copper is in the wrong form and also copper enzymes have other necessary components that need to be in place.

There are a lot of variables here that need to be thought out, which in our society isn't happening. We look more at vitamins and minerals along with proteins. But in essence there is much more to look at, too much to even learn because timing is the clue. Proper cravings are important so if you find yourself staring at something in the store, try to research it and see what possibilities are there that make you stare at it. Even glutamates are essential in proper amounts in our diet. But too much and we can't think properly. The source of the glutamate is also important and whether they are free or bound. free glutamates make most people happy right away while bound have a much longer duration.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

A guy I know fairly well owns a well drilling company. I got to go see him and get a bunch of those tablets they drop in wells. It would be a good thing to keep in stock. I doubt if they would cost much, he might even give me a handful.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join