It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well-connected people buying land/building bug out locations in rural areas...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I can't afford to survive an apocalypse, so my plan is to just live until the SHTF and then quietly die in a corner some place.

Yay poor people! on the bright side, rich people who hoard stuff to keep it from others so they can survive and others will die make awfully convenient targets. Going to need some really big guns.
edit on 28-7-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

What's the context here? You say, "total collapse of the United States as we know it." What does that mean exactly?

Is this a natural disaster?

Or a financial collapse? And if so what is the imagined fallout?

Preparing for survival is fine, but what's the baseline for this activity?

Without evidence of such collapse/disaster it sounds like the majority of folks in this thread are opting to hide away from life. Is that really what folks want? Loneliness, starvation, loss of family/friends, no [real] security?

edit on 29-7-2014 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jason88

What's the context here? You say, "total collapse of the United States as we know it." What does that mean exactly?

Is this a natural disaster?

Or a financial collapse? And if so what is the imagined fallout?

Preparing for survival is fine, but what's the baseline for this activity?

Without evidence of such collapse/disaster it sounds like the majority of folks in this thread are opting to hide away from life. Is that really what folks want? Loneliness, starvation, loss of family/friends, no [real] security?

Ask and you shall receive

First it appears there are ticking economic time bombs created by the libor scandal..

www.forbes.com...

What is the big deal with financial crisis? No fallout? Well this might shed some light on that..

m.huffpost.com...

Order through chaos indeed.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Ok. Good reply.

In my sense, the greed, and selfishness are the values to be blamed. Being rich does not make a person greedy or selfish.

I too know people from many walks of life. And for what its worth, i'm poor, barely making the living for my 3 kids and wife.

a reply to: crazyewok

Really, you're generalizing there. There are good and nice persons as a bankers, also as politicians. Again, its the greed and/or selfishness of the person.

I'm sure i understand your meaning / what you're talking about when putting the blame on one group or another, but if you take a minute (or an hour, a day) you'll see that it's not all black and white.

It seems a shallow lookout where you are watching from. Almost like teh american way; left/right; this OR that;rich/poor.

Where is the middle ground? Where are the nuances of life? God-damn; everywhere, you just have to look.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Tatanka

That's just the course of empire. People will look for new remote places to put down roots. One small town develops into a big city. I saw that growing up in Austin, now when I visit, it's hardly the same place. Similar to some places in the Philippines I visited many years ago - development and the love of money supersede sustainability of the environment and ecological habitats. That's just how the current "system" works and was designed

I enjoyed your previous post about getting out of the city and into the country. I have a similar story except I was working in the city too much (with bank accounts) but knew I had to get out. So I did, and I've learned a LOT from it and have gained the confidence to be fine on my own in the wild. (though a community makes this much easier, and my wife is indigenous with a tribe)

Hopefully your place continues to stay unpopular, though where there are roads there is destruction and more "civilization"

edit on 29-7-2014 by Philippines because: i formatted wrong or something, my post wasnt showing

edit on 29-7-2014 by Philippines because: trying again

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
My husband's family own a big family house , they use as a summer house ( they take turns going there, or sometimes we have BBQ's there) in a tiny village up in the mountains.
With fruit trees, vegetable garden, chickens, and a goat, I think.
It also has it's own river below for water.

The village is so small , that everybody knows everybody.

If WW3 would break out, that's where we would go. To a small community up in the mountains where people take care of each other and help each other.
I think it would be much safer than camping it out.

edit on 29/7/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: spelling

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
If I where really rich I would have a bug out location even if just for Ebola or Swine flu. Seems a smart thing to do if you have the extra cash to throw at it.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Rickymouse is right. Not only will there be chaos from civil unrest and government, but there will be natural disasters like we've never known...and why? Well, I don't have to repeat myself again, do I? I'm like a broken record that no one is listening to anyways. METHANE. Just take a look at the weather lately, folks. Things are getting pretty exciting. I'm saying now that four years is too long...three at the most.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
As an Englishman reading about Americans and their Bug-Out locations, I find it increasingly depressing to consider the fate of my nation and the people here should the SHTF. We have nowhere to go, and the cities would descend into tribalistic, animalistic chaos within days of a nationwide/ global collapse of any sort. The best I can imagine is being able to pre-empt the actual date, set up with necessary supplies (including seeds and information on farming) and a camper van (RV) before the supply chains give way, and head into the mountains/caverns of Wales, as far away from the main cities as possible.

The weather and general conditions of life would be exceptionally tough, even if we managed to come through with some sort of plan for small-scale subsistence farming, though with proper placement we could ensure water, fishing and shelter to boost our chances. Additionally, I have a chronic and debilitating health condition - which whilst not lethal, would cause me to be living with near unbearable levels of pain should the nationalised healthcare system fall apart. I would literally have to cultivate poppies in order to acquire even a rudimentary form of analgesia, and that might not be feasible in the available climate.

A major worry here is that there are a great number of nuclear power plants in a relatively small area of land (when compared to the US, Britain as a whole is around as big as Texas). If collapse entailed the abandonment of these plants, we might all die from leaked radiation within a couple of years no matter what.

In a true global catastrophe, we might have to rely on otherworldly forces to step in and provide a literal salvation. I have faith, and I try to live well - but the future looks bleak, especially considering the dangers of international conflict which seem to be escalating at an incredible rate. We'll just have to wait and watch, and see what the future brings.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
double post, sorry.

edit on JulyTuesday1417CDT10America/Chicago-050004 by FlyInTheOintment because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Six cans of fruit, ten cans of veggies, three bags of rice or noodles, ten small cans tuna or and a couple cans of spam. and a box of bisquick and some water. one soy sauce and some seasoning. That's less than fifty bucks and it will keep you for a couple of weeks minimum in an emergency.

Is that per person? Do you include a contingency plan for cooking that food?

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

I also have been using our old two liter bottles to store water in

Is it even safe to store water in those with the plastic and them not being fully airtight? Do you factor in water for washing also?

Ha I don't know why I'm asking all these questions considering that there are sure to be some great prepper threads on ATS. The furthest I've ever gotten was buying a case of bottled water...which eventually gets used up due to convenience.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Lol and how old is this guy? How long does he plan to live off the land. These stories are so BS! Nobody is going to survive living off the land in a place like MT very long just because they have money, stockpiled food, and a nice fancy house/shelter. Does this guy have any real world experience living off the land? Could he even survive a MT winter without heat? Could he live without taking a shower for weeks on end? Does he have any knowledge about MT growing seasons and how to even grow a garden? Does he have even the most basic skills when it comes to protecting what he has like using combat weaponry, setting up unmanned perimeters, building fences, etc? I love how all these in the know suit wearing elite types think because they can afford to go off and build a McMansion in the woods everything will be hunky dory!

I'll tell you who's going to survive a collapse! It's going to be those good Ol country boys already in places like MT who know how to grow their own food, weld, farm, hunt, fight, etc. and guess what there are ALOT if small rural country towns where those good Ol boys stick together and won't take to kindly to some CIA schmuck city dweller moving in with his money!

Some of you really are clueless and spend way to much time prepping in your garage instead of actually getting out and seeing rural towns and interacting with rural folk. The government and cities would starve to death without the good Ol boys.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Stocking food to last a month isn't that expensive if you buy it on sale and use your pantry for rotation purposes. Every time we go to the store we do impulse buying, so rotating a pantry can actually save money in the longrun as you do not have to go to the store as often. The money saved can build the pantry a little bigger over time. Buy stuff you normally eat, but foods that are canned versions or dried versions. Make sure it tastes good before buying too much.

Six cans of fruit, ten cans of veggies, three bags of rice or noodles, ten small cans tuna or and a couple cans of spam. and a box of bisquick and some water. one soy sauce and some seasoning. That's less than fifty bucks and it will keep you for a couple of weeks minimum in an emergency.

You can do much better by just buying many different varieties of soup! They will last for a few years also.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys

Lol and how old is this guy? How long does he plan to live off the land. These stories are so BS! Nobody is going to survive living off the land in a place like MT very long just because they have money, stockpiled food, and a nice fancy house/shelter. Does this guy have any real world experience living off the land? Could he even survive a MT winter without heat? Could he live without taking a shower for weeks on end? Does he have any knowledge about MT growing seasons and how to even grow a garden? Does he have even the most basic skills when it comes to protecting what he has like using combat weaponry, setting up unmanned perimeters, building fences, etc? I love how all these in the know suit wearing elite types think because they can afford to go off and build a McMansion in the woods everything will be hunky dory!

I'll tell you who's going to survive a collapse! It's going to be those good Ol country boys already in places like MT who know how to grow their own food, weld, farm, hunt, fight, etc. and guess what there are ALOT if small rural country towns where those good Ol boys stick together and won't take to kindly to some CIA schmuck city dweller moving in with his money!

Some of you really are clueless and spend way to much time prepping in your garage instead of actually getting out and seeing rural towns and interacting with rural folk. The government and cities would starve to death without the good Ol boys.

This particular gentleman is one I'd have on my side any day. He's a former "snoop and poop" type with the US Army.

I agree with you that many people think that spending money on supplies will keep them alive without any training. This guy... not so much.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: awakendhybrid

You will need a can opener. The only thing that needs to be cooked is the bisquick and bisquits can be made on a stick over a fire if needed. A small coleman campstove can be bought to heat things up. We have around ten gallons of fresh drinking water here and a fifty five gallon drum of toilet flushing water on the deck. We keep it full and water the tomatoes with it also, never letting it get below three quarters without filling it again.

We are prepared for two to three months, that includes my kids and grandkids food for ten.

But we live about three miles out of town, and the pantry saves us many trips to town and to the store. It's nice to have everything you need when you start a meal. We stock up more for convenience than for disasters. But we could easily go three months. I could hook up a hand pump to the well. I actually have the pump and pipe if I need it.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
If the S does ever HTF, these wealthier preppers are going to be Target Numero Uno for well-armed groups of thieves. If you want to paint a big bulls-eye on yourself, aim for isolation in nice digs with lots of supplies others want/need. You will be sniffed out eventually, especially if you're stupid enough to inadvertently advertise with lights other than candles at night, and the scent of cooked food wafts widely & multiple times daily.

Common sense dictates the desperate & determined will seek out the affluents' stockpiles. And the affluent won't last long up against the desperate & determined.

Not if you are wealthy enough to have well armed private guards, which many very wealthy people do already. And often those guards are highly trained ex-military or ex-police. Although, people get desperate enough, people may be willing to battle.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

originally posted by: rickymouse

Stocking food to last a month isn't that expensive if you buy it on sale and use your pantry for rotation purposes. Every time we go to the store we do impulse buying, so rotating a pantry can actually save money in the longrun as you do not have to go to the store as often. The money saved can build the pantry a little bigger over time. Buy stuff you normally eat, but foods that are canned versions or dried versions. Make sure it tastes good before buying too much.

You can do much better by just buying many different varieties of soup! They will last for a few years also.

Yeah but a lot of soups aren't nutrient/calorie dense enough. For example, a lot have enough calories for one meal, if that.

i'd go with varieties of chili as it's much more filling, also keeps a while, and has lots of protein and calories. Probably double that of most soups.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Lol, it's not much better for those of us living in super-urban areas anywhere. I live in New York City, in the center. Not only do most people not have cars to escape, although I do for the moment, most people don't have room for gardening or a lot of excess storage of anything.

One can however, be trained in outdoor and survival stuff, some of which I did when I was younger.

It is a big trade-off. The problem is is that for someone wants to "make a difference," help the trajectory of mankind, possibly mitigate future catastrophe, then they have to live in an area that is a center of power often such as NY, DC, London, Hong Kong, etc, as that is where the headquarters of orgs are, power players, good jobs, and so on.

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
As an Englishman reading about Americans and their Bug-Out locations, I find it increasingly depressing to consider the fate of my nation and the people here should the SHTF. We have nowhere to go, and the cities would descend into tribalistic, animalistic chaos within days of a nationwide/ global collapse of any sort. The best I can imagine is being able to pre-empt the actual date, set up with necessary supplies (including seeds and information on farming) and a camper van (RV) before the supply chains give way, and head into the mountains/caverns of Wales, as far away from the main cities as possible.

The weather and general conditions of life would be exceptionally tough, even if we managed to come through with some sort of plan for small-scale subsistence farming, though with proper placement we could ensure water, fishing and shelter to boost our chances. Additionally, I have a chronic and debilitating health condition - which whilst not lethal, would cause me to be living with near unbearable levels of pain should the nationalised healthcare system fall apart. I would literally have to cultivate poppies in order to acquire even a rudimentary form of analgesia, and that might not be feasible in the available climate.

A major worry here is that there are a great number of nuclear power plants in a relatively small area of land (when compared to the US, Britain as a whole is around as big as Texas). If collapse entailed the abandonment of these plants, we might all die from leaked radiation within a couple of years no matter what.

In a true global catastrophe, we might have to rely on otherworldly forces to step in and provide a literal salvation. I have faith, and I try to live well - but the future looks bleak, especially considering the dangers of international conflict which seem to be escalating at an incredible rate. We'll just have to wait and watch, and see what the future brings.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Montana would be the last place I'd want to hide at since Yellowstone seems to be starting to boil over. But maybe those near it with money( and Jackson Hole has money) have plans to build bunkers in case of an eruption. But you'd have to be many many miles away, maybe hundreds, to avoid being buried in ash and rock.
And a good solar flare frying our electric and satellite grid will drive people ape $#%^ when their phones and toys no longer work.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join