It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird theory that I found on the Internet

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl
I actually always pronounced -stein as styne because of my Austrian background.
(We spent a lot of time in Austria when I was a child.)

I would have never read it the German way if it was -stain.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

there is no difficult decision between choosing between something i know is wrong and what is right. as some people have stated, there is no right or wrong since it comes down to those who are Team Stain and Team Stein- but who could disagree with millions of people who remember it as "Berenstein"? i do.

what made me lose interest in the people and thread is the lack of logical/reasonable discussion. yes, i know, we need to keep an open mind to the possibility that there are things that can happen in this universe that logic/reason are unable to solve, we should just believe that something as wildly fantastical as a slight variation in the spelling of a name can happen. but before we pull out the jump-to-conclusion mat, let's ask questions and search for a plausible answer. what's happening with this thread is that everyone is sharing what could be 20 year old memories, memories from when they were children, and when the memories are of Stein those who support Stein slap each other's backs and scoff at those who remember Stain. the team mentality is another reason why i lost interest. those on team Stein are superior while those who remember Stain are inferior. why is there a division? if this truly did happen, shouldn't both sides work together to find an answer? or does the side with more people win?

this was a fascinating topic. when people simply tally Steins and Stains and consider those with the most points a conclusion, it's no longer fascinating and it's no longer a discussion. there are those who want to find answers and those who want to confirm beliefs.

what would make for a fascinating discussion are questions. these are questions we could ask about this situation:

- what are the odds, considering parallel universes/multiverses/infinite timelines, that we should exchange an E for an A - with another reality?
    - if someone has manipulated time, why something as trivial as an E for an A? what does that do in the long run?
    - if we're in a simulation, why that particular error?
    - if someone is manipulating memories, what purpose does changing letters serve?
    - if time was manipulated, would not every memory change? meaning we would all firmly believe that it has always been Stein (making this conversation impossible to happen). if you say it could happen if we're in a simulation, then we have to believe that the machine we're in doesn't have enough power to efficiently change every memory, leaving those who remember it one way and the other. again, we have to ask the previous questions and we have to start searching for errors all over the world because if the machine can't handle what should be a simple task (the machine has to be quite advanced) then our memories/reality is always in flux and letters are being swapped all over the place.
    - what if there is a mass amount of misspellings in the books? one area of the world may have received A while another E.

but the more important questions are the following:

- what specific memory do i have of the name? for example: i didn't know how to properly pronounce the name, everyone said Stein when it was spelled Stain.
    - am i allowing my current knowledge of how Stein is spelled influence my memories?
    - am i allowing the pronunciation to influence my memories?
    - how accurate are my memories of the book?
    - am i allowing the memories and conviction of others to influence my memories?
    - can i think of other times i have misremembered something?
    - are emotions overriding my reason?
    - am i allowing myself to be fooled for the wrong reasons?

we also have to entertain the possibility that millions of people are misremembering, which is not meant to offend anyone. i could be misremembering. no one is stupid in this discussion, all we can work with are memories.

there is something wrong with this scenario, the matter of A or E, but it's more mundane than most are willing to admit.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

your response was funny, but you didn't answer my question. when was the last time you picked up a Berenstain book?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

Hey Rainbow!
I don't think your theory is crazy at all, I wonder the same thing myself!

As for the pronunciation, I always tend to want to say STYNE because of the words 'beer stein' and 'Frankenstein'.

Occasionally I would say STEEN, but it didn't sound right to me.
STAIN never was in the picture, lol.

Maybe these are all small clues to get us to seek each other out? The steins and the stains...? Maybe this is the beginning of our 'figuring stuff out'.
Or maybe we're just all so manipulated that it's one more thing to fight about and separate us?

*sigh*
jacygirl

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Boswell

Hi Boswell,
Go back a page or two...both Kangaru and I stated that we believe the 'stain' people have their own correct memories...and books!
We aren't really on 'teams' lol, but it does help show which name we remember...that's all.

I'm not seeing much hostility in this thread, but there is a lot of interest.
We are basically all on the same team, as long as we keep open minds.
As soon as one of us decides we are right and the other is wrong....then we have nothing to work with.

You raise some good questions, but I don't think ANY of us have the answers.
We may never know.

jacygirl

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Hiya Jacy,
I'm glad we have similar thoughts/theories on the subject.
At least I know I'm not crazy.

I have never searched for evidence about an ATS topic so hard than for this one.
That's how convinced I am.
I'm currently searching with google.de (German one),since the English google showed no -stein results.

I am afraid that this is one of those things that cannot be proven.
History was changed so basically according to this 2014 Berenstein never existed,it was always with a stain, only thanks to some mistake on their part (time travelers), some of us remember the truth.

*sigh*
I'll keep looking though.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I'm obsessed with it too.
Not because I have to prove that I'm right...far from it!
Because we have proof of...a glitch!!

There is so much going on in this world that we are not aware of.
Finally, we have found something....SOMETHING!!
No, I don't believe any of us are crazy. Not the steins or the stains.
Just confused.

I love it. My dirty dishes can wait.
Imma trying to figure out the universe right now!!

jacy

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I am almost beginning to think I am in the movie "Donnie Darko". I pronounce Berenstein as Berensteen by the way.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Yeah but WTF does he come off with saying we are now in a universe where all 3 dimensions are " imaginary" but the 4th dimension is real? I can't even put into words how utterly ridiculous this is. Even time travel is more plausible. However, this is about as good as evidence as the world maps problem. Which is to say, not good evidence at all. Because spelling and geography can be misremembered. Celebrity deaths, same thing. I have no clue if with 7 1/2 billion people around if we'd ever find enough evidence to prove what is in fact, experienced by many people on a purely personal level. No evidence is good enough until you lose 1-2 hrs one day just minding your business, and you can't say where it's gone, no medical tests find anything wrong to cause it, no mental health practitioner can find any cause, and your spouse and family think you're lying and having an affair. And no way to prove what you have said, that time simply was lost for you. That's just one example. The personal stories are where only true evidence can be found, through being part of the experience itself, or witness to the effect of the event.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This reminds me of the kerfluffle when some folks distinctly remember New Zealand being to the Southeast of Australia instead of North. Course none of the folks on the Southeast side actually lived in New Zealand.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ldyserenity

Hi ldyserenity,
I believe you have to trust yourself. Your own personal experiences.
I have much more faith in myself than I used to.

We all know what we have experienced personally, and nobody wants another person telling them they're wrong...or a liar.
Some people have experiences that they themselves cannot comprehend. How do you explain that to someone else?

I don't think we're really going to get any great answers here, but we are perhaps cracking the surface a little?
We are thinking, discussing and researching. Comparing notes and stories.
I find it incredibly interesting.

jacygirl

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

So you are basically saying people don't ever incorrectly remember stuff? C'mon man.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Boswell

Well, I am sorry that us searching for the answer, (that apparently will never be found), has caused you to lose interest. I will honestly tell you that I searched through all of the most logical reasons I could think of for misspelling a word before I even began to open my mind a little bit.

Yes yes, the razor theory says we are all just remembering incorrectly. But thousands of us?! And so adamantly? I mean this isn't a - wow I can't believe I spelt that incorrectly my whole life - subject for most people. This is an - I read those books several times and KNOW how it was spelled - moment.

I haven't seen much bickering in this thread really, so I am not sure why you are saying the Steiners are acting like they are "above" the rest. If anything, I have seen the Stainers prove their point by saying it has always been with an A dummies, then they leave the discussion rolling their eyes.

Even with your loss of interest in the thread you raise some valid questions. I, however illogically, must say that in my mind, it is Berenstein. It has and always will be Berenstein. I can't prove it, I can only convince myself that when I read (and pronounced) the books as a child, and reread those same very books to my children, it was an E.

My mind, after several hours of researching A vrs E has opened. That is all. Just opened. I didn't automatically scream ALTERNATE UNIVERSE RIGHT HERE! Nope, it took me research, contemplation, and soul searching to get to this point.

I hope that you find interest again in this really neat thread.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Do you have anything to contribute to the subject?
Any ideas or thoughts ?
Perhaps your own explanation for this or theory?
I'd be interested and open-minded and grown-up enough to read it, and then share my more than one line thoughts about your comment.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

So you are basically saying people don't ever incorrectly remember stuff? C'mon man.

Dude! Jacygirl is not a man!

Yes, of course we remember things incorrectly.
Did you read about my phone call with my daughter? Apparently both of my girls remember me saying the name two different ways...but it was always stein (steen or styne).

I have personally never said that the 'stain' is wrong...sheesh, there are tons of pictures of that spelling when I search. But I also have faith in my own experiences, and in my life...and my kids'...it has been stein.

jacygirl

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: boomerdude

Wait a second, NZ is to the south, right? RIGHT?!

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

Hi Kangaruex4Ewe!!

I just want to be clear about one thing...I have NO doubt that the 'stain' people have valid memories. I certainly don't doubt my own memories, or my kids'. We are all big readers, and pay attention to spelling.

This to me is about much more than just memory....it's about different realities. This concept is difficult to grasp, but that doesn't mean that it's without merit.

I love how we are discussing it, and trying to make sense of it all.
I can't let it go either...and frankly, I don't want to. I want to keep reading the differing perspectives.
A part of me feels like we are onto something...something big.
It's awesome! lol

jacygirl

That is the cusp of this Jacy, we ARE onto somthing big.

The problem is, none of us know what, I wish TheOneElectric would have returned, I am telling you guys, this guy has knowledge we need.

He is one of 2 people I have ever read that can talk about metaphysics and get me to actually take them serious.

Problem is the guy is a ghost, he pops in, makes amazing posts and goes, and then comes back or not.

If anyone knows more than us that we know here on ATS it is him.

We are missing somthing here, we need a single spark in the night to show us the next step down this path.

I have been racking my brain for 2 days now, and the best I can get is a half thought, that might be worth somthing, but it isnt complete.

Ok here it is, I am going to throw out my "half complete thought" maybe you guys have another piece of this pie to add to it.

I think this is some great...just grand plan that makes us so small we are bacteria trying to listen to and understand Mozart. We are a less than a flea on a seeing eye dog in a gallery full of Van Gogh Starry starry night.

This goes without saying, go outside and look up at night.

But what if we are being given, through sheer luck( honestly what were the chances a childs book would be the catalyst to start this conversation?) a chance at seeing the actual divine?

Not necessarily the mind of God, but maybe a scribbled note he threw in the trash.

A side note to the infinite.( side note I am not religious in the traditional sense of the word, I believe in no established religions, but I do believe, more along the lines of the native americans "Great Spirit")

I think this is most likely a way for us to see that this world is not as it seems, and the the many spectacles this universe play out at the cosmic quantum AND relative perspectives at all times.

Maybe it is time travel changing things, maybe it is the universe unfolding itself to us at last, maybe it is just a simpe case of us all drinking way too much fluoridated water..........

Told you it was half a thought.

It took half a page and said nothing.

But it could matter if anothers views could counter point this, thus bringing the whole closer to the visible surface.

PLZ TheOneElectric, come back, talk more, drop hints, tell us we are stupid whatever it takes, just take this splinter out of my mind someone.

I do not talk like this, I write about physics, I talk about science and understood reality.......This is beyond my depth as I understand it, or is that the point? The remove a portion of the shroud that blinds?

PLZ I just need numbers or facts that I can quantify, I feel I am going insane here.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: boomerdude
This reminds me of the kerfluffle when some folks distinctly remember New Zealand being to the Southeast of Australia instead of North. Course none of the folks on the Southeast side actually lived in New Zealand.

As one of the people from that thread who are convinced that NZ *had* changed position on the map (and even though I don't live there, I was VERY well-acquainted with the country and it's positioning due to a friend who DID live there and always had me looking at the country on maps, and where it was in association with Australia...), this -stein/-stein thing is basically what we experienced, except more people are agreeing with this one than we had agreeing with us.
What frustrates me is people thinking that it just suddenly somehow changed, and older books will have the correct (what we remember) spelling. Like when they thought old maps of NZ would be different. It's not like that. If it's somehow changed now, it's somehow changed back through our history at the same time.
I still think this stuff is fascinating. I have no idea why it would have happened, but I have felt for a while now that reality isn't as stable and as fixed as it used to be.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

Hi Kangaruex4Ewe!!

I just want to be clear about one thing...I have NO doubt that the 'stain' people have valid memories. I certainly don't doubt my own memories, or my kids'. We are all big readers, and pay attention to spelling.

This to me is about much more than just memory....it's about different realities. This concept is difficult to grasp, but that doesn't mean that it's without merit.

I love how we are discussing it, and trying to make sense of it all.
I can't let it go either...and frankly, I don't want to. I want to keep reading the differing perspectives.
A part of me feels like we are onto something...something big.
It's awesome! lol

jacygirl

That is the cusp of this Jacy, we ARE onto somthing big.

The problem is, none of us know what, I wish TheOneElectric would have returned, I am telling you guys, this guy has knowledge we need.

He is one of 2 people I have ever read that can talk about metaphysics and get me to actually take them serious.

Problem is the guy is a ghost, he pops in, makes amazing posts and goes, and then comes back or not.

If anyone knows more than us that we know here on ATS it is him.

We are missing somthing here, we need a single spark in the night to show us the next step down this path.

I have been racking my brain for 2 days now, and the best I can get is a half thought, that might be worth somthing, but it isnt complete.

Ok here it is, I am going to throw out my "half complete thought" maybe you guys have another piece of this pie to add to it.

I think this is some great...just grand plan that makes us so small we are bacteria trying to listen to and understand Mozart. We are a less than a flea on a seeing eye dog in a gallery full of Van Gogh Starry starry night.

This goes without saying, go outside and look up at night.

But what if we are being given, through sheer luck( honestly what were the chances a childs book would be the catalyst to start this conversation?) a chance at seeing the actual divine?

Not necessarily the mind of God, but maybe a scribbled note he threw in the trash.

A side note to the infinite.( side note I am not religious in the traditional sense of the word, I believe in no established religions, but I do believe, more along the lines of the native americans "Great Spirit")

I think this is most likely a way for us to see that this world is not as it seems, and the the many spectacles this universe play out at the cosmic quantum AND relative perspectives at all times.

Maybe it is time travel changing things, maybe it is the universe unfolding itself to us at last, maybe it is just a simpe case of us all drinking way too much fluoridated water..........

Told you it was half a thought.

It took half a page and said nothing.

But it could matter if anothers views could counter point this, thus bringing the whole closer to the visible surface.

PLZ TheOneElectric, come back, talk more, drop hints, tell us we are stupid whatever it takes, just take this splinter out of my mind someone.

I do not talk like this, I write about physics, I talk about science and understood reality.......This is beyond my depth as I understand it, or is that the point? The remove a portion of the shroud that blinds?

PLZ I just need numbers or facts that I can quantify, I feel I am going insane here.

PLZ U2U me as well, I posted my "ramblings" such as they were.

I dont do this stuff, I make fun of the metaphysics forums, I am an eye roller in this regard. I honestly am at a loss here, and have been from the start. I am not used to this, I always have somthing to add either positive or at least negative.

I can add nothing of value for the first time in my entire life.

I have never been helpless, not in action or thought, but now......I am completely helpless, this is not comfortable for me, I do not know what to do here, I dont know what path to search(is there even a path?).

I can not put into words the utter complete loss of ability to describe my thoughts about about this.

PLZ nothing you could say to me is any worse than what I posted in my last post.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I also recall Berenstein Bears so much so I called my Mom (who also has this recolection) and she found the books form when I was younger and confirmed that they are Berenstain...

She says it is from getting old, upon asking co-workers of various ages they recall the same...

I am totally stumped by this one!

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join