It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We All Die: So Why is After-Death Investigation Such a Low Priority?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hello Everyone. I hope this question is in the appropriate forum. It's simple, but covers several ATS topics.

Assuming that our spirit/essence survives in some fashion for "eternity", our fleeting time on Earth in this body and all the events that make us angry, bring us joy, or fill up discussion forums, may not be important at all in the overall scheme of things..which brings me to the question I came here to ask:

Why doesn't mankind make it our HIGHEST/#1 priority to solve the mystery of what happens to the human spirit after we draw our last breath? Considering that we're all going die and spend unlimited time somewhere, shouldn't that investigation take precedent over EVERYTHING, except matters that pertain to relieving human suffering? I'd like to know your thoughts on this. T.I.A. for sharing them.

-CareWeMust (in Chicago)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Whilst I am not sure how such an investigation could take place, I have often wandered this myself..

In the first instance, one would have to prove or disprove the existence of a "soul/spirit" as a start point. I have thought on ways to prove this, but it would be rather macabre. You would basically have to monitor a person with all manner of gizmo's while they die.

I have often wandered what you would see if you watched a person die inside some sort of MRI-type machine. We are, after all, bio-electrical machines so presumably any "essence" would also be the same..

But then, it might not even be close, it could be an energy we cannot detect, such as dark energy, or be multi-dimensional in nature - we have observed, in particle accelerators, sub-atomic particles popping into and out of existence.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Because you are supposed to be paying attention to your lessons rather than daydreaming about the future. The deck has been stacked against us so that we do not remember where we are from and though many believe they survive death, it is very abstract to the point that if you are truly interested in the technical aspects of the issue, it's like beating your head against the wall. This is notwithstanding all the many people who will claim to know exactly what reality is all about. They really don't. They're guessing, and so am I.
edit on 6/10/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Because there is no money to be made.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Propose how it could be done? When youi're dead, you're dead and even then, IF the afterlife involved some form of spirit leaving the body, then how do you know science could even detect the signs of it departing?

Maybe there's nothing after death, I don't think religions would like that very much either, might affect business

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity...

How?

I mean, you're talking about a scientist killing himself to study the afterlife and then return his results back to the living? How?

So, to answer your question of why it's not studied? Because it's fantasy you're expecting - not science.

edit on 10-6-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

I kind of covered the "how" - before going anywhere with study into death and any afterlife, you'd first have to prove or disprove the existence of a soul, through observing people as they die with as many devices as one can muster. Even though, there is no guarantee of even seeing said soul as it might be something we cannot detect

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Because people think they already know the answer.

Either they believe the specifics of their chosen religion, or they don't believe in an afterlife at all.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys

So, to answer your question of why it's not studied? Because it's fantasy you're expecting - not science.

Yes, that attitude certainly inhibits its serious study. Science, by definition, deals with the material world and measures the material world with material instruments. That doesn't mean an afterlife does not exist. It just means science has a) not found it and b) doesn't believe it exists in the first place, hence a), and c) isn't all that interested because they do consider it a fantasy.

But.....

if there IS a "non-material" world, if it IS real, then science COULD discover it if it wanted to, and that would be a massive revolution in scientific thinking, a blending of the scientific and the "spiritual." Because, quite obviously, science has done a great job at what science can do, and failed abysmally at a great many things. To many people science has not so much "fixed" things as made them worse and accelerated disaster. We can now kill ourselves a lot faster and in greater numbers, use up resources at an alarming rate, fill the world with toxic chemicals provided courtesy of science, etc. So it's very nice for science to provide a "better life through chemistry," but science better do something else pretty damn quick or all these advancements will mean nothing.

Someday someone is going to invent a telephone that actually works, but until then anyone at all interested will have to endure the hostility of the scientific world.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Most people figure you'd figure it out by the time you get into video games,chemical experimentation,and really start paying attention to good Anime like DBZ.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
They do, but its the hidden studies in the military they've done in both OOBE's and NDE's that prove this that would infuriate people if they found out

They know, but don't want you to. And do all they can to spin it in fear based ways.

We are eternal beings.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

It was studied, at one time. For example: The ancient Egyptians believed they possessed a roadmap to the afterlife, and it involved various rituals and readings before, during and immediately after death, the proper ways to prepare a human body for transition to the afterlife, precise rules concerning what passes beyond the threshold (possessions / tools / companions / slaves) with the soul(s) of the recently dead, and so on.

Why don't we study the afterlife?

Well, there is a fundamental problem: replicability. You can design an experiment, but it cannot be reproduced using the same variables unless you can induce "death," revive, induce it again, and so on (in the same test subject). That doesn't sound very ethical, does it?

Finally -- I would argue that plenty of folks are studying the afterlife. We typically call these folk "religious" and completely ignore them. This isn't as awful as it sounds at first blush, however, as most world religions feature a comparatively weak / useless afterlife from a purely utilitarian standpoint.
edit on 10-6-2014 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I think we would if we could but we really can't so we don't.

And those that try...well they meet with a lot of skepticism and alternative theories to their experiences, and probably rightly so.

If we knew, wouldn't it just take all the fun out of life though?

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Rather than attempting to scientifically study "something" leaving the body upon death, wouldn't it be more practical to delve into the mind of a living person in an attempt to find out what he/she was doing in-between lives? Scientists have investigated past-lives via some type of hypnosis technique(s). Why can't experiences in-between physical experiences be recalled? A person's "in-between" could have spanned hundreds or thousands of years of existence. He or she had to be doing SOMETHING during all that time...right?
-cwm
edit on 6/10/2014 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The reason it's such a low priority is because spirituality is the ultimate conspiracy and it is the elite's PRIMARY target.

In other words if there were one thing that TPTB would want to cover up the truth about, that would be it.

These people bow to Satan and he knows everything there is to know about what lies on the other side.

This is WHY there is such a vast Satanic conspiracy to deceive the masses because he knows he must keep the truth hidden in order to achieve his agenda.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Why not try to create an afterlife imagine it and somewhat live in it the best you can. And see if you get there when you die. Try to make it an every life thing that way your soul knows from the time your able to comprehend yourself that you will live after death.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

This thread tittle got my attention alright, I wonder about the same thing sometimes. I guess the reasons could be many, but I am sure that is religion itself the one that is halting the research in the after life, remember that if people knew that is not hell and that everybody goes to haven, religion will lose their power over selling salvation and condemnation will become obsolete.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

Finally -- I would argue that plenty of folks are studying the afterlife. We typically call these folk "religious" and completely ignore them. This isn't as awful as it sounds at first blush, however, as most world religions feature a comparatively weak / useless afterlife from a purely utilitarian standpoint.

Not necessarily, how does one know that spirits have anything at all to do with god?
Perhaps mythology grew up around spirits because.... 'If it can't be explained, therefore god did it' so this ghost stuff got all caught up in the mythology just like everything else that could not be explained like wind, lightening etc.
I have experienced ghosts, that's my personal evidence for something weird is going on, but personal evidence in god is not there.
If there is a god, I don't think it would be anything like the OT says.

I don't know.
I shred my head over this stuff.
I remain agnostic.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Navillus
Because there is no money to be made.

Are you serious? Why do you think Religion exists? Science is just slow at catching up.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
To my knowledge there are very few texts about what all happens after death. And even then it is religious in nature, based off of belief. No one can really say what happens, after a person dies, though the texts are an interesting material to read. One could go through and look at the following:

The Egyptian book of the Dead.

The only other text that I know of that explains about death, and what happens afterwards, would be the Tibetian book of the dead.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join