It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto plans to patent genetically modified marijuana

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

There are multiple strains with high CBD and little THC. Charlotte's Web, R4, Harlequin, Valentine X, ACDC, Sour Tsunami and Cannatonic come to mind, listed in I think the order of lowest to highest THC content. The first 4 are less than 1% THC, all the way up to Cannatonic that I think has a 1:1 THC CBD ratio.

They're not looking at the big picture though. There are a lot of compounds in cannabis. I have a script for "pot pills" that are full of synthetic THC. They do nothing but make me sick. The one cannabinoid that springs to mind is CBN. It's similar to CBD but (I think) it has a tendency to negate the effects of THC.

Anyway, point is you need all of the compounds. A lot of THC isn't needed, you don't need to feel it. As long as there's some of all of the cannabinoids it's good. CBD only has been done. Hell, you can order CBD pills online legally.

So yeah. Either this devolopment is BS or Monsanto is doing something they want covered by this story.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Right, so they state it's a myth on their website, but also, at the same time they apparently are openly stating they're getting into the GMO medical marijuana business..if what the OP's sources say, is true.

So according to sites like before it's news, Monsanto is openly planning on doing this, but according to the monsanto website, it's a myth.

Well gee wiz, what a conundrum this is. On one hand this means monsanto doesn't know if they're coming or going.

Or the story is BS.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Margana

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

originally posted by: ImpossibilityOfReason
So then the only option of getting unmodified marijuana would be mainly drug cartels... possibly the motive?

Yup. Sounds like Monsanto is actually going to end up HELPING the illegal pot trade. With their marketing and bank roll most of the "legal use" marijuana is going to be consolidated through them and their extremely efficient research, production and marketing. But the problem is they do not understand their market, at least not the portion that prides it's ability on judging a quality crop aka. The Chronosaur.

US and Canadian marijuana markets are very different. Very different demand either/or. So is the industry itself. Despite what is written in the papers, very little of Canada's cash crop is controlled by organized crime. It has always been a ma and pa, as well as a mortgage helper industry in Canada.

I for one hope that Monsanto floods the market with cheap and impotent marijuana because I think it will revitalize the black market, where the money - I'm sorry to say - actually gets spent in the communities unlike Monsanto who sits on the cash. Like I said though, Canada and the US are very different. Our top organized crime syndicate is the Hells Angels who are still for all intents and purposes a legal club with legal membership and still a member of our communities.

Why the heck do you want to support the black market? There is nothing good about it. It should be made legal & taxed so that money goes towards things like schooling, hospitals & road maintenance. Things more important then buying expensive clothes, houses & cars.

If they do franken' it up then it'll be just as damaging for our bodies as the rest of the foods they franken' & not the healthy natural properties it has. Its supposed to be used as a medicine, not to cause cancers & then other medicines needed to treat the newly formed cancer.

It was going to roads, schools and such because it was CASH spent In the local economies and used to hire people that paid taxes. Giving the gross earnings of the marijuana market to the feds??? Might as well just piss it out the window.

British Columbia gets a Billion+ dollar CASH injection every year from the illegal marijuana trade. What are we going to get when big pharm and walmart take over? Part time jobs and no benefits? Pardon the pun.

edit on 7-6-2014 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Great, just one more piece of nature for Monsanto to corrupt and destroy.
If they do this, I'm pretty confident we'll start seeing people having all sorts of negative health effects linked to marijuana. Kill two birds with one stone... Make money selling it and make money off people seeking treatment for a whole host of new and exciting side effects.
People will be using marijuana because they're sick, and people will be sick because they're using marijuana. A vicious cycle, albeit a very profitable one.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MagicWand67

It was only a matter of time.

God damn you Monsanto!

Damn you to hell!

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: windword
Well so have farmers throughout the years but I guess I see where this is going. Instead of doing the natural way, they will do it their way and mess with stuff. Gonna have to give that video a check later

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

Or the story is BS.

Companies like Monsanto do their dirty work behind closed doors using smoke and mirrors. As stated in the article,

Organization of Open Society Foundation is under the control of the shareholder Monsanto, billionaire George Soros. Company Drug Policy Alliance y Open Society Foundation, funded by Monsanto will be responsible for market development of transgenic seeds of marijuana, particularly in Uruguay.

By using subsidiaries or child companies like these foundations, who are indeed involved in the politics of Marijuana reform, Monsanto can deny direct involvement while still implementing it's agenda.

Monsanto doesn't have a very good track record of telling the truth in my opinion.

Open Society Foundation

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This could be a sign that our government finally took their heads out of their own asses and are going to legalize weed nation wide soon...maybe , maybe not...

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

So just ignore what is going on in colorado?
It needs to be legalized so it can be out of the grips of the war on drugs.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Here's a more in depth article from 2013

Link

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Open Society Foundation

from that article...

We need to see the rapid development of the state’s capacity to respond to the law’s demands—which are to create a non-state organization able to exert control over marijuana. [The state] should be respected, generate trust in people, and have the capacity to overcome challenges. We should also see low levels of corruption all around and good indicators in the area of insecurity.

Sounds about right for an NGO.

Soros is a master of government financial takeover.

Looks like he has "got to" Uruguay.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Why is creating GMO marijuana 'dirty business'?

The way it's been written, it's made out to be a legitimate and logical move of them, yet they outright state it's a myth on their website, why?

Why would they deceive their shareholders?

Too many questions and not enough reliable sources for this to be true.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So just ignore what is going on in colorado?
It needs to be legalized so it can be out of the grips of the war on drugs.

Like I said, Canada and the US are very different. Canada spends excessively on policing marijuana, or at least that is what they claim in their budgets. As well my opinion was based on how it effects me. I live in BC, and the federal vote is counted east to west. Candidates concede while we are still in line at the ballot box. Our vote means squat and we have a much different approach to policing marijuana. Consumption is not policed at all, hasn't been since I can remember. Vancouver city council has already publicly announced they will not be asking VPD to close down dispensaries deemed illegal April 1st 2014.

Vancouver police say they won’t bust down the doors of the city’s many illegal medical marijuana dispensaries April 1 when a new federal law will delegate weed production and distribution to a handful of licensed premises.

VPD to Feds: illegal despesaries not a high priority

The city knows how much of an impact the corporate take over of the marijuana industry is going to have on our economy. They didn't say "keep growing pot to help pay for your property" but they know damn well that dispensaries need to get weed from somewhere and federally mandated growers are not going to supply them.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I am attempting to gather more information to verify the validity of these articles.

Here is another related article that describes some of the connections to Monsanto and GMO cannabis.

Link

Scott’s Miracle-Gro is hoping to cash in on the growing medical marijuana business. WSJ’s Dana Mattioli reports.

In an unlikely move for the head of a major company, Scotts Chief Executive Jim Hagedorn said he is exploring targeting medical marijuana as well as other niches to help boost sales at his lawn and garden company.

“I want to target the pot market,” Mr. Hagedorn said in an interview. “There’s no good reason we haven’t.”

"Scotts relationship with Monsanto became even cosier in 1999, when Scotts completed agreements with the company for exclusive US, Canada, UK, France, Germany and Austria agency and marketing rights to its consumer Roundup herbicide products. Scotts also purchased the remainder of Monsanto's lawn and garden business, which included the pesticide brand Ortho."

Please stand by .... I will be adding more information that supports the claims made in the OP shortly.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Ah, my mistake, didn't know you were coming form the canadain point of view, I guess that is what I get for only reading some of your post *puts foot in mouth*

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Soros does apparently own a lot of Monsanto stock...

Soros purchased 476,170 shares of Monsanto Company ( MON ), representing 0.54% of his portfolio. Shares have gained 10.6% from the average.

George Soros' Top 10 New Stock Buys (Nov 2013)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I like living here, people can smoke/grow marijuana without being bugged by the cops, for whatever reason, medical or recreational. In all honesty, if marijuana goes the way of tobacco, just legalizing and taxing the hell out of it, will not close down the black market at all. Personally I can't smoke it, it gives me nasty nasty panic attacks, but I don't condemn others that can and want to.

Around here, alcohol and tobacco is taxed so much, there are "bootleggers" that make a living selling tax free "illegal" smokes and alcohol. If I paid the legal tobacco price, it would cost me well over 100 a week. Alcohol, forget about it, I make my own. The best deal I have seen in 4 years was a 30 pack of crap crap beer for a few cents under 50 bucks lol. For 20 bucks, I can brew around 60 beers, sometimes a little less than 60 in say late july, early august due to rapid evaporation.

I think if it was legalized and taxed up the yin yang, people will continue to grow their own illegally(unless growing your own becomes legal), and buying cheaper from neighbors that grow it.
edit on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 23:38:12 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

How does this article help validate your OP?

Scott's are fine with coming out stating it, yet monsanto apparently needs to do it clandestine.

Growing medical marijuana means nothing, where's the proof that Monsanto is growing or planning on growing GMO Monsanto?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
According to this article which repeats a lot of the same information reported by OP link.

George Soros is a major shareholder in Monsanto stock.

Monsanto Marijuana Initiative Grows in Uruguay?

Clearly there is no direct statement, admitting involvement, from Monsanto. However there is circumstantial evidence that would suggest they have a vested interest in this new arena of GMO crop development.

In my opinion.... Monsanto, being the evil genius' they are, will not admit involvement until they have pinned down their market strategy and fully developed their patent-able strain.

Free-Market Analysis: Are considerations regarding Monsanto's business progress in South America behind the legalization of marijuana in Uruguay?

George Soros was a significant supporter of marijuana legalization in Uruguay, and Soros is reportedly also a big Monsanto shareholder. Here, from a recent Guardian article, published just before the bill passed: Rich countries debating legalisation of cannabis are also watching the bill, which philanthropist George Soros has supported as an "experiment" that could provide an alternative to the failed US-led policies of the long "war on drugs".

Now the cycle has apparently turned. Monsanto, under attack regarding its GMO seeds, may need a new market to re-establish credibility and even popularity – as marijuana will surely prove a more welcome crop than soy in the public mind. Monsanto's efforts as regards marijuana in Uruguay may be helped by the overwhelming government involvement in the cultivation, sales and marketing of marijuana.

With its talent at bending smaller governments to its will, Monsanto may find a significant opportunity in Uruguay to establish an even more aggressive business beachhead. There is no doubt that the Uruguayan government will dominate marijuana production, at least in the short term.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Ah, my mistake, didn't know you were coming form the canadain point of view, I guess that is what I get for only reading some of your post *puts foot in mouth*

No worries. I made sure to mention it because I can understand the position of a lot of Americans about the illegal pot trade since a lot of it comes out of Mexico or competes with what comes out of Mexico and there has been a lot of brutal violence stemming from it. If the US states would just lax the penalties on marijuana (you don't have to make it legal) a little, lowering the risk to profit. Keep the policing only to gangs and violent offenders, there would be a boom in suburbia production and the Mexicans would have a hell of a time flogging off their - so called - marijuana as well they would have a difficulty trying to intimidate millions of independent growers. The money will trickle UP to the government rather than trust them to trickle it down.

Black is where it is at when it comes to the economy in my opinion. The other economy is rigged.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join