It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto plans to patent genetically modified marijuana

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Personally I don't think most users of the plant will go for GMO versions of it and will shun it. The question is if the govt decides to pass laws saying the only plant that is safe for public use is the ones that happen to be patented and under the control of groups like monsanto and their agendas. I can see that being a issue and a problem. And I wouldn't put it past the short sighted bozos in the govt.

I don't think they want to get into the medical marijuana business per se. Instead I think they want to develop drugs marketed towards specific illnesses that are treatable with cannabinoids.

A pill for seizures, a different pill for cancer patients and another for parkinsons or alzheimers. All of which will have the same CBD derivatives.

It's all just so disingenuos, in my opinion. Big Pharma has attempted to block the use of medical marijuana for years. Now that that fight is finally being won by cannabis advocates. Big Pharma swoops in to monopolize the industry.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: MagicWand67

Well they can't leave money on the table.. The shareholders wouldn't allow it.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Big Pharma has attempted to block the use of medical marijuana for years.

They have? Seems that it's been politicians (law enforcement) more than anything. And yes, that battle seems to have been lost.

edit on 6/8/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

All I have to say, is that Monsanto, can never genetically modify cannabis, ever! It's already been done, being done as a matter of fact and with insecticides. Some insecticides are organic, home made or are at least safe but most not safe whatsoever. In many cases you may as we'll be smoking a pack of cigs rolled up into one dubbie. It's great that you posted this, however, there have been at least two decades of farmers already modifying cannabis for hydro purposes with documentation on how the strains were immune to certain pests. This I know for a fact...I've seen some of these studies. Even had my own front door kicked in because of researching. Some knew they were doing this....some didn't. Some folks intentionally use illegal insecticides fully aware of the extreme carcinogens and some people just think they're eradicating the "bugs" or "pests" from their crops. The latter have no scientific knowledge and many of the times, do no research on what they use and just want the cash in the end. These types just say "I'm just trying to get paid, who gives a ****" anyway!

I'm not going to say too much here as I have been through the wringer with the MOD SQUAD here on ATS on this subject and respectfully so. However, I am going to introduce some scientific studies conducted here in Cali on GM Cannabis, but I am going to ask permission before I post anything. This has been going on here in California for decades. Monsanto is late to lunch on this one.

It's very difficult to find the correct pesticide(s) to kill certain critters like thrips, aphids, root aphids, white flies and spider mites (ugghhhhhh) just to name a few while growing hydroponically. It's very taxing to do so in this state where dam near everything is banned, via the EPA (I understand why, our run off goes into the ocean). I get it.

Yet, growers in Cali have found so many chemical cures for these pests. These chemicals include Avid, Juno, Pyrethrins, Malathions, Beethoven, Attain etc., just to name a few. Lots of these products are illegal already in the state of California. It's not hard though to go into your local hydro store and acquire many if not all of these pesticides. They may not have them on the counters/shelves, but if they "know" you, they will sell them to you anyway.

What I'm saying, is that Monsanto can't introduce and patent a dam thing relating to Cannabis that either is currently being done or has not already been done by growers, at least not in my state.

Besides, what are they proposing? Selling their seeds in any state within the US where cannabis is legal? That's highly "HIGHLY" illegal still on a federal level in any state...period! The minute Monsanto begin sales of their GMO seeds, is the day Cannabis becomes Federally legal. I can guarantee you, it ain't going down like that.

Monsanto can go choke on a big fat one!

PS
I know what I'm talking about too. I'm extremely educated in all aspects of hydro cannabis. Thanks for the OP, but Monsanto is reaching farther than they can catch. It'll never happen. Besides, I didn't really gather the intel from the article exactly on what their intentions are.

This is a "sticky icky" game and Monsanto will never be able to get a foothold on this one. Not in the US anyway and not for decades to come.

That's the truth.

ETA
Besides, the government already has Marinol. They don't need Monsantos BS.
edit on 6/8/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It's well documented that many groups and industries have lobbied the government to prohibit cannabis and hemp.

Pharmaceutical industry being just one of them. Along with big tobacco, alcohol, textiles , prison system .... etc.
edit on 8-6-2014 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Corporations are useless ticks

Disgusting creatures

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Big Pharma has attempted to block the use of medical marijuana for years.

They have? Seems that it's been politicians (law enforcement) more than anything. And yes, that battle seems to have been lost.

wasn't it the cotton industry first? Either way a lot of industries had an interest in keeping marijuana out of the game. How do you put a price on it? The demand is high, but it is a weed so the cost is low. You don't want to make it any cheaper and neither do your competitors. It's most natural form is it's most desired... What do you do with this stuff as a business? ... in the long run once the dust settles?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
My conspiracy mind sees this as a possible attempt to usurp the growing demand for legalization of medical marijuana.

If pharmaceutical companies can develop and patent their cannabis based drugs they will continue to lobby for the prohibition of medical marijuana.

They will claim there is no need for the natural plant as a medicinal substance. They will say that their drugs contain all the beneficial medicinal properties of marijuana without the negative psycho active ones.

This will allow the FDA and the government to soft sell the public into believing that Big Pharma has our best interests at heart and the only reason for people to want natural cannabis is for recreational drug use.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

If Monsanto is producing Marijuana does it means the Feds would shut them down?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

LOL, I wish

EDIT:

If they are indeed growing Marijuana they are doing it through an affiliate company in a different country than the USA.

So I doubt there would be any legal way to charge them with a crime. Besides they already have a slew of politicians in their back pocket anyway.
edit on 8-6-2014 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Magnivea
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

They're not patented. How could they be? You can't patent, say, a particular coc aine cut.
sure you could

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I don't think GM weed could ever compete with natural strains. A large number of growers and medical dispensaries tend to be holistic/pro-organic, and few sellers, even here in Washington state where it is legal, would be interested.

Hybridizing and breeding marijuana plants so far has already produced a vast number of varieties.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Monsanto loves money. Like another poster said "can't leave money on the table" The best way to maximize profits is to corner the market and establish a monopoly. Monsanto would love to do that. I agree they will be going after treating specific ailments with specific cannabinoid cocktails that will engineer in the lab. But they also will want to get control of the general cannabis plant market too if they can.

They tried keeping the plant illegal so that it wouldn't compete with their lab made BS> but now that thats not happening and decriminialization of the plant is beginning to go underway. they will try and take over that market too by making their own patented strain and passing laws that make it so that the only legal govt OK'ed version to grow of it will be theirs. They are already well underway doing that with wheat and corn in the US. They'll do it to cannabis if they can get away with it.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

They tried keeping the plant illegal so that it wouldn't compete with their lab made BS> but now that thats not happening and decriminialization of the plant is beginning to go underway.

Who did? Monsanto? You have, of course, evidence to support that claim?

They are already well underway doing that with wheat and corn in the US.
There is no GM wheat on the market and Monsanto does not hold the major share of corn seed sales in the US (pretty far from it, actually).

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: Phage

I was going more for the regulations argument. Where they would say something like. Only strains with high cbd/cbn content and low thc content is considered madicinal therefore all other strains except certain ones that make our list are nos illegal. Then they will go, the only farms that will be allowed to grow this plant legally are farms that grow strains on our little list. And it just so happens that the only strains on our little list that are considered medicine are owned and patented by these companies we are all on the board of. some angle like that.

heck the govt already will pull your farm subsidies if you don't go along with them and grow certain crops. Sometimes ones that must be GMO, otherwise they argue that you dont yield enough to qualify the land your growing on for subsidies.

This is a likely scenario. I agree 100%

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Margana

yep, right this minute, we could feed the entire city of new york with a couple hydroponic high rise farms.
edit on 8-6-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

From bassplayer:

heck the govt already will pull your farm subsidies if you don't go along with them and grow certain crops.

What does that have to do with cannabis? Unless you think that cannabis will ever qualify as being a food crop?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

why would tobacco companies not want it sold? they are not even the same product type and they have everything to gain from public acceptance of smoke inhalation lol

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

You're right perhaps I'm incorrect about Big Tobacco being against marijuana.

My logic was that it would create unwanted competition.

Big Tobacco Planned Big Marijuana Sales in the 1970s
edit on 8-6-2014 by MagicWand67 because: add link

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join