It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto plans to patent genetically modified marijuana

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: MagicWand67
Different markets. Perhaps some overlap however.

edit on 6/8/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: BASSPLYR

They tried keeping the plant illegal so that it wouldn't compete with their lab made BS> but now that thats not happening and decriminialization of the plant is beginning to go underway.

Who did? Monsanto? You have, of course, evidence to support that claim?

They are already well underway doing that with wheat and corn in the US.
There is no GM wheat on the market and Monsanto does not hold the major share of corn seed sales in the US (pretty far from it, actually).

I agree on the latter. Monsanto has no monopoly on corn being "sold" in the US. However, we import tons of other grains unfortunately (never knew why we do this)

Although Monsanto may not have such a monopoly on "corn" what about the others? IMO, it seems like a no brainer....but it's not! Where's their stop button? Do they have one? Yes, they do and it's all up to us to stop them. They're like the evil "feeder gang"...cure gang...wannabe medicinal gang to make a profit...huge profits!

Look, I have a do and do not buy phase based on ingredients. If you know what you're looking at, it might assist you in your purchases.

I sound kind of lame here, but all I'm trying to say is to educate yourselves on what you're buying, eating, drinking, smoking etcetera. That includes familiarizing yourselves with the ingredients. If you don't know/recognize what you're eating, then don't buy it. Simple. Well, that's my motto anyway.

Monsanto is huge guys....and I mean HUGE!!! Make an attempt to grow your own veggies or whatever...please! Just try, it's not hard. The only thing is that you have to know where your current plant/seed comes from.

Look for the Non GMO sign. Don't go for the hybrids because sometimes they're genetically modified as well. Not always, but many of the times they are. Once a plant has been hybridized, many of the times nowadays it's been GM'd.

Maybe I'm a fanatic or something when it comes to seeds and food, etc. I don't know. But, there's no knowing like knowing. Know what you eat, smoke or whatever your deal is and respect it. Know your stuff.

Grow as much of your own as you can. By the way, Whole Foods is good but highly overpriced for no reason. It's cheaper to plant and grow organic than anything, unless you're in the Antarctic! The Whole Foods "organic" type is nothing special and If you're older than 40, then you know what a real tomato tastes like. Organic is what we grew up on. It' s not some new scientific way of growing food...it's the way food should be grown...period. CO2 is the new and quicker way of ripening foods especially anything that produces seeds (fruits) and many times they're tasteless, yet, it looks ripe...red, orange, yellow etc. But when you get that tomato on your wonderful turkey or veggie sand which you can't taste it. Do you know why? It's because they ripened it faster via an unnatural CO2 process. Meaning it's not ripe, it just looks like it is.

Kind of the reason why we look at our kids and go "huh, what the hell is wrong with this kid?" Probably because he/she doesn't diet/eat the same way we did when we were growing up. The organic prices on anything is just weird IMO. It's the way we all ate and it's actually cheaper. Organic is far cheaper than chemical nutes (nutrients).

As far as the Ms. Mary Jane goes, I've said enough and Monsanto can go suck on a infused lollipop or overdose on a brownie...or two 👍😁👍
edit on 6/8/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePublicEnemyNo1

The organic prices on anything is just weird IMO. It's the way we all ate and it's actually cheaper. Organic is far cheaper than chemical nutes (nutrients).

Organic growing is more labor intensive. That's the main reason it's more costly. That, and because people are willing to pay more because it's organic. Farmers (organic and otherwise) get what the market will bear.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

Aquapoinc can be combined with Hydroponics for an even better system. It's crazy the yield you can get from them so if you imagine them being built on a larger scale, say like the size of a football field but 10 stories high, that would produce a high yield of food.

There are so many better alternatives to many things pushed by corporations and it's time that everyone (we the people) stand up and demand change!!! Look at those solar road ways for Pete's sake.

Anyone who thinks that GMO is the way to go for feeding the masses, needs to do some real hard research on Aquaponics & Hydroponics.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

The organic prices on anything is just weird IMO. It's the way we all ate and it's actually cheaper. Organic is far cheaper than chemical nutes (nutrients).

Organic growing is more labor intensive. That's the main reason it's more costly. That, and because people are willing to pay more because it's organic. Farmers (organic and otherwise) get what the market will bear.

Wow, you're fast

However, you're correct about the fact that people will pay more. Due to the scare tactics involving multiple things such as cancers, salmonella, E. coli etc., involving multiple recalls of meats and produce every year. Those are just very lame quality oversights by these farms. Remember, we do pay them for their services/foods. It's not like it's a hand out for the majority. I love farmers, but they're not always honest. No like the days of our parents and grandparents by any means. Many could careless nowadays.

But, my friend, organic is really not more expensive, not even in labor...it's a farce. The only reason why organic appears more costly is because some of the farmers kind of take advantage of their "welfare" system. No pun intended. What I mean is that, there's such a huge kick back to the "major" producers of food, that they will actually tell the FDA/USDA that they need more money to grow "proper" food or should I say "organic" foods that they get a pretty nice Federal kickback.

Listen, I'm all for our farmers being paid exceptionally well, but when you start charging me more for phosphates, potash and potassium, then I have a problem. It's up to the farmer to replenish his/her soil. If they can't figure out how to do that economically and naturally, then maybe they need to find something else to do.

General fund raising might be a start for some of them 👍

Maybe I'm too cynical. If so, shame on me

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   

a reply to: BASSPLYR

They tried keeping the plant illegal so that it wouldn't compete with their lab made BS> but now that thats not happening and decriminialization of the plant is beginning to go underway.

Who did? Monsanto? You have, of course, evidence to support that claim?

They are already well underway doing that with wheat and corn in the US.
There is no GM wheat on the market and Monsanto does not hold the major share of corn seed sales in the US (pretty far from it, actually).

The U.S. and Monsanto dominate the global market for genetically engineered crops. Forty percent of the world’s genetically modified (GM) crops are grown in the U.S., where Monsanto controls 80 percent of the GM corn market, and 93 percent of the GM soy market.

Worldwide, 282 million acres are planted in Monsanto’s GM crops, up from only 3 million in 1996, according to Food and Water Watch.

Forty percent of U.S. cropland, or 151.4 million acres, are planted in Monsanto’s crops. Monsanto owns 1,676 seed, plant and other applicable patents.
U.S & Monsanto dominate Global Market for GMO seeds
I know this came out in 2013 but I don't think much of a change would have happened. Last time I checked 80% would make Monsanto the major ass hole you say they aren't.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Have you tried going to farmers directly? In my experience, it is way more cheap to do that, then to pay for organic vegies/meats at say a grocery store. Farmers I have met and bartered with are willing to make deals. For example one I deal with lets me pick blueberries for free, as long as I come by and give him some blueberry wine I make off it. The guy I buy my cows from, he gives me a discount for coming by and helping butcher the meat. Etc etc.

edit on Sun, 08 Jun 2014 02:57:17 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Just to re-cap some of the connections made so far that refute Monsanto's denial of their involvement in this field of research.

George Soros owns a significant amount of Monsanto stock.

Source

Soros' hedge fund bought 897,813 shares (valued at $312.6 million) of Monsanto during the third quarter of 2010.[44]
The Monsanto Company is a U.S.-based multinational agricultural biotechnology corporation. It is the world's leading producer of the herbicide glyphosate, marketed as "Roundup." Monsanto is also the leading producer of genetically engineered (GE) seed; it provides the technology in 90% of the world's GE seeds.[45] It is headquartered in Creve Coeur, Missouri.
S510, the Food Safety Modernization Act, if and when it is passed, will create an investment windfall for Soros who is the second largest holder of Monsanto stock. S510 is not really about food safety, it is about government control over everything connected to food in the US including seed stock.[

George Soros is indeed the founder and chairman of Open Society Foundation

Source

George Soros
FOUNDER / CHAIRMAN

Investor and philanthropist George Soros established the Open Society Foundations to help countries make the transition from communism.

Open Society Foundation is involved in the politics of Marijuana Reform in Uruguay.

Source

ProDerechos was a leading force in Regulación Responsable .....

....... ProDerechos is supported by the Open Society Foundations

Monsanto parent companies like Pfizer and Lobbying partners like Syngenta & Bayer AG have expressed interest in this new business opportunity.

Then there is the question of ..... "Why wouldn't they want to get involved?"

This new field of research and the potential developing market seems like a veritable goldmine that no major Agra or Pharma business would willingly choose to ignore.

The only reason I think that Monsanto would deny involvement is to not tarnish this "budding" industry with their already negative reputation. Monsanto knows it has a bad public image and one of the most important market strategies is branding and reputation. The smart move is to control things from behind closed doors and let their partners do the grunt labor work.

Please add your opinions and comments.

Thank you to everyone who has posted thus far.

ETA:

Another connection I forgot to add was the RNAi process.

Monsanto is heavily invested in this field of research and is the method by which GMO cannabis is created.
edit on 8-6-2014 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Margana

Last time I checked 80% would make Monsanto the major ass hole you say they aren't.

I'm not sure that 80% is accurate. I can't seem to find where it came from (unless it's from someone's ass hole).
It would really depend on how you define major. It would also depend on how you define ass hole.
finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Additional articles

Source

Monsanto recently signed an agreement with the National Institute of Agricultural Investigation (INIA). "This was done very quietly", says says Pablo Galeano, from the leading non-governmental organisation REDES. "Our job in REDES is to uncover these cases and, if we find something wrong, denounce it," says Galeano.

and this

Source

Aside from the Soros agenda for a One World Government, financing the Occupy Movement and of overthrowing governments, destablising nations and fomenting civil wars around the globe through carefully planned ‘color revolutions’, how does the Open Society Institute’s push for legalisation of drugs fit into all of this?

Critics are wondering if it could have something to do with influencing the governments in those countries where the legalisation efforts are most intense. Is this connected to the UN’s Agenda 21? Or is this paving the way for gene giants in big pharma to replace natural strands of cannabis with their own patented GMO variety? Definitely the ladder…

They say the Uruguayan government hopes legalising the sale of marijuana “will tackle drug cartels”, but what they’re not telling you is that they are paving the way for a bigger drug cartel to take over. Soros is reportedly also a big Monsanto shareholder, and guess who is test planting their GMO version of cannabis later this year in Uruguay? Yes, it’s Monsanto.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
There is a deal with INIA for introducing GMO soy into Uruguay. 2011 -2015

Monsanto has already broken the GMO barrier in Uruguay and taken over their soy production.

Source

The agreement says that the INIA project to improve the soya bean crop will incorporate GMOs from Monsanto. “So INIA is allowing Monsanto to take Uruguayan soya bean seeds to their laboratory in Costa Rica where they will insert GMOs into the seeds and then bring them back to Uruguay to be used by the farmers.”

This will mean that Monsanto will effectively have control over, and make money out of, soya farming in Uruguay. “As part of the agreement Monsanto is asking to have intellectual property rights over this GMO technology in Uruguay”,

Source

Incorporation of modern technologies in domestic soybean genetic

On Wednesday, May 16 at 15 pm in INIA National held the agreement with Monsanto to introduce genetic material into the RR2Y soy-Bt technology for the purposes of making it available in future cultivars release.

INIA has identified in its Strategic Plan 2011 - 2015, strengthen activities in soybean breeding nationwide. It is crucial to develop genetic material under their own production environments Uruguay for this results in greater ability to identify the genetic material of high adaptation, with superior performance and greater stability conditions.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I thought one could only patent something that has not already been made and is completely new and original. Surely Marijuana has so many different plants yielding differfent amounts all growing from seeds at their start, that a patent should not be granted on this anyway.

I would doubt that many patients would want GMO medicine anyway because it will have side-effects and we still await for these to surface whilst the natural plant has very few. There are also other drugs on the market. I hope people boycott Monsanto and sorus.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: MagicWand67

“So INIA is allowing Monsanto to take Uruguayan soya bean seeds to their laboratory in Costa Rica where they will insert GMOs into the seeds and then bring them back to Uruguay to be used by the farmers.”

That makes no sense. The source has no understanding of GM technology. "Insert GMOs into the seeds then bring them back?"

But yes, the planting of GM soy is very widespread. What does that have to do with the topic?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I used Google translator to translate it into English. The INIA website is in Spanish.

I was following links posted in the articles. They seemed to be implying that the INIA deal was associated with GMO cannabis.

So far I can not confirm or deny it.
edit on 8-6-2014 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Monsanto and the other GMO manufacturers are after the bottom line: Money.

I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw a fully grown pig.

You ever tried throwing one? Hard as hell. They squirm.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I thought the English were working on this already. A form of Marijuana that has little of the doping effect and increased amounts of the medicinal value. In South America they are already growing GM marijuana, but I doubt if the drug lords have a patent on that.

I suppose Monsanto is going to steal the research from the English people and patent it. In real medical Marijuana, the effect of the THC is masked by other canibinoids. It really does not get you buzzed much. Now if I were to use this as medicine, I would want that type. But most people want regular stuff.

yeah, the British company GW Pharmaceuticals has been working on it for some time.

They discovered that in natural cannabis strains the THC level balances out with cbn & cbd. THC is a psychotic and cbn & cbd are anti psychotics. When you increase the THC level through selective cross breading the CBN & CBD levels go down so you create a strain of cannabis that is far more likely to cause mental problems than a natural strain.

edit on 8-6-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ImpossibilityOfReason
So then the only option of getting unmodified marijuana would be mainly drug cartels... possibly the motive?

No one will buy it and it doesn't need modifying. The dispensaries will no doubt Label them as such, or inform the customers. Maybe they should get involved with alchohol instead, boozers are easier to brainwash.
edit on 8-6-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Corporations, by their very nature....try to monopolize the markets they participate in....constantly.....
Its like a war out there in the corporate world...complete with its spies and shock troops....
The active ingredients in the cannabis plant are more than just the CBDs Monsanto is trying to enhance....
I think they should simply legalize the stuff completely like the weed it is....free to everyone who wants to grow some....

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
So Monsanto will control all medical marijuana? Even more reason to do it yourself. Sickening what kind of reach Monsanto has and how they want to "modify" everything. This is just another thing that should remain natural.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
When they Genetically modify, they shouldn't use toxic bacteria to acomplish it because those traces are left in the skin, fruit/leaves as an active fighting pesticide.

The only thing cannabis really needs is mold resistance, The plant itself is pretty resistant to most pests. Spider mites are probably the most damaging. Beyond that the plant is very hearty and has been genetically modified through selective breeding, GMO cannabis is probably already in the market with higher THC content but the plant was illegal for so long, that the patents have been kept hidden until there are laws in effect where the plant can be legally studied and modified.

If they want to do the genetic modification properly they will need to take bacteria from humans, Find a suitable pathogen and modiffy it to be resistant. But don't use a bacteria or virus that can be damaging to the enviroment through root system defence or giving unwanted characteristics to other plants suchs as weeds through pollination.

When modififying plants or animals you cannot be careless about what you put in there. That's the problem with GMO right now. Utilizing toxic pathogens for desired effects. There needs to be stricter procedures on what can and cannot be used. Modification can be useful and beneficial, But needs to act more symbiotically rather than aggressively against the enviroment. Otherwise developing plants that are immune to poison but carry them itself is kinda contradictory to the main goals which is creating an enhanced organism, Not an oncoming plague.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join