It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto plans to patent genetically modified marijuana

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
you mean no need for GMOs unless aliens make it right? Cuz humans are to incompentent to selectively breed their own plants?

if i recall humanity has induced plants to all kinds of sickness in the passed by plowing feilds and planting in non native areas.

Bateria and organisms living in the ground varry from region to region, if you just plop down what ever you want in a place where it would be very unlikely to occure, such as european lettus in North America. That is technically a GMO.
Because we are cultivating non native species and modifying them for desired traits.

What monsanto is doing is using some pretty toxic organisms either through germline transmission or selecting breeds that survive disease, creating roundup ready crops in very much the same way how weeds in the *wild* come into contact with the pestacide and organisms and mutate to become immune but shell the poison at the same time.

Trace ammounts of poison would be found in all nearby crops via pollination or root systems/insect carriers. LIkewise insects will become immune and mutate. They are forcing evolution on the enviroment by creating super bacteria and microscopic subterranian organisms. There are oganisms that feed on poison likewise and this would be cultivating some nasty stuff. Take the nuclear facilities for instant with the spider slime organisms growing. Well in this case they are cultivating a bactiera growing in one of their posion factories, and merging them with plants to create round-up ready plants.

I'm not sure how much has been studied referring to subterraning organisms but i don't think its currently that extensive. We only recently discovered that fungus bonds and grows symbiotically with plants in microscale.

sandwalk.blogspot.ca...

I'm not lying to you guys.

By the late 1990's it was apparent that recombinant DNA technology [see Nobel Laureate: Paul Berg] had advanced to the point where it was feasible to consider the production of genetically modified crops. One of the first targets was the creation of plants that were resistant to the herbicide glyphosate or Roundup® [How Roundup® Works]. Surprisingly, in spite of extensive spraying with Roundup® no resistant plant species had been detected. Since the target of glyphosate, EPSP synthase (EC 2.5.1.19)
is also present in bacteria, a search for resistant bacteria was undertaken. The idea is that if a glyphosate-resistant enzyme from bacteria could be transferred to plants it might make the plants resistant to the herbicide. Such Roundup Ready® transgenic plants be an enormous advantage for farmers since a crop of, say Roundup Ready® soybean, could be sprayed with Roundup® to kill all weeds without affecting the crop.

Coincidently , it would be of enormous advantage to Monsanto, the manufacturer of Roundup®, especially if they could control the distribution of the genetically modified plants. The C4 strain of Agrobacterium sp. proved to be just the thing. This is a species of bacteria that was found growing in the waste-fed column at a factory that made glyphosate. The EPSP synthase enzyme from this bacterium (C4 EPSP synthase) was almost completely insensitive to glyphosate.

When you are demonizing *GMO* you don't truely understand exactly what the benifits are.
As i explained currently monsonto in the passed and up to now has been working on pesticide producing and resistant plants.

That should be a no no, you don't GMO plants for those characteristics. Pesticides in general arn't all that great. Even things like tomato leaves contain nicotine because it is a night shade.
Does that make tobacco a pesticide? In some quantities it can be but it does not kill everything. So Monsanto comes to save the day dundundudn Cuz farmers were whining about pests devouring their crops.

A tactic that has worked is to set all scraps. yellowing leaves dead scraps in a pile beside the feild. There is a high chance the pests will feed somnly on the scraps.
But not all farmers have the time or decency to do this, cuz yeah know they do take up hectors of land and expect every inch of it to be human food so # the insects if they need a home and food source, Human logic. Lets make these expanses rise over and beyond the horizon, because we are geniuses, But if any bugs decide to next in any of those miles of free land instead of like the 5 meter gap with trees inbetween each feild well il be damned were gunna bomb them to exinction.

/facepalm

It's not like everything around is us stupid.
We humans are not stupid, just extremely ignorant. That's about it.
But GMO is heading in another direction, Since there is so much oppression towards GMOs. they are working on actively including other vitamines-amino acids phytonutrients minerals and proteins into plants via GMO. The way it was meant to be studied and cultivated.

Cannabis itself is already a GMO crop, Created by the Gods. It is coded to our DNA. You cannot deny this. It is the only plant on this planet that can sustain every nutrient desire except for 1 other that grows around the plant. Algae or moss.....

Because of all the stigma with abusing the powers of bacteria and micro-organisms.
It will be a challenge to make the general public knowlegable about genetics as many see the subject as boring.
But it totally isn't... at all.
Anyways, my point is we have only just begun the cusp of our studying of genetics, we may see a genetic code. But we need to proper enviroment and symbiotic relationships to be benifitcial and non harmful. Just as the Cannabis plant is right now in rudaralis/setiva/indica form.

I don't support what Monsanto is doing right now, But we shouldn't abandon our quest for understanding life and creation. But we must be delicate in our studies, to not disrupt the many different ecosystems with singular and hive-like consiousness.

edit on 10-6-2014 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2014 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I think it's kind of funny. All those potheads fought for "decriminalization and regulation" because they thought they'd be able to get high legally. Well, they got part of what they wanted. They got regulation. Now they can get a prescription for pot that doesn't get you high. And that's IF they have a medical excuse.

Maybe finally, regulation will backfire on liberals and they'll get a dose of their own medicine. We all know why they really wanted it legalized. And it wasn't for legitimate medicinal purposes.
edit on 10-6-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Frankly, who cares if it's for medicinal reasons? Please, enlighten me on the issue of alcohol vs marijuana. That garbage is legal and kills millions a year.

Oh yeah, us damn "liberals". You and your kind need to cut the BS and trying to make virtually everything political. People want to get high on something that was only criminalized because of pressure from corporations? BIG. EFFING. DEAL. Oh no, sweet baby jesus, but if we do that they'll be eating munchies and watching a lot more movies!!! How will the world survive???!!!

If everyone wants a better world, we need all of the world's leaders to get together and pass around a few pipes.

EDIT: So let me elaborate. I have no problem with abortion BEFORE the mother's release of dimethyltryptamine from the pineal gland as I don't think the fetus is truly alive until then.

I think there should be mandatory drug testing for welfare, the people I see around here on it use it to either buy their monthly crack or heroin or buy their crack, sell it for double, repeat, drive an Escalade despite being unemployed.

I think pot should be legal. Medicinal or not, there's no reason it should be illegal.

The gun grabbers make me sick. I have a collection to rival a military museum's and will die defending my right to have them.

This huge government is ridiculous. So many BS branches, unneeded jobs doing virtually nothing... BUT... If there were a smaller government, it would take less than a week for us fat, lazy, uneducated Americans to complain that everything is taking longer.

So what's your diagnosis? Am I one of those damned liberals or what?
edit on 6/10/14 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/10/14 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I thought the English were working on this already. A form of Marijuana that has little of the doping effect and increased amounts of the medicinal value. In South America they are already growing GM marijuana, but I doubt if the drug lords have a patent on that.

I suppose Monsanto is going to steal the research from the English people and patent it. In real medical Marijuana, the effect of the THC is masked by other canibinoids. It really does not get you buzzed much. Now if I were to use this as medicine, I would want that type. But most people want regular stuff.

Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of legalizing it in the first place? Do you think people would have been happy when prohibition was over if all they could get was O'Douls?

I suppose an argument could be made for a medicinal-only strain for people who want that benefit without being baked all the time.

FTR, I do not partake.

(post by xxCRM114xx removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Magnivea

Frankly, who cares if it's for medicinal reasons? Please, enlighten me on the issue of alcohol vs marijuana. That garbage is legal and kills millions a year.

I don't. I just know it isn't true. I know they tried to use the goody two shoes medicinal excuse to legalize getting high and they got screwed by their own kind in the end. The pot that will finally get legalized will be strictly medicinal and will not be the kind that gets you high.

Let's see what happens when they realize getting high is still going to be illegal.

I'm actually not against pot. I don't care. I'm just saying it's usually potheads who are supporting people like Obama. And it's people like Obama who will screw them in the end.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Ahhh I see what you mean. I do, though, know plenty of frequent smokers who think Obama is the worst thing to happen to this country since.... Well W. But still I don't see Obama going for full legalization for medical or other reasons, if only for fear of making even more people hate him and his ridiculous policies.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
And now we know the real reason legalization has even been discussed. Because big corporations want to use it for big profits. It wasn't because of anything the people did to sway their thinking. Once again, it all comes down to someone getting paid.
They allow it to be legal in Colorado so they can prove to the people that it isn't any worse than alcohol, then they move to sell their modified prescription weed.
Not a smoker, but I hate to see them using folks once again for their gains and world domination.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Daz3d-n-Confus3d

If I had something to bet, I'd be willing to bet when it is legal they will try to restrict the seed trade and Monsanto will do what they did with small time farmers with the already established seed suppliers, at least try.

It will not be as easy for them as it was for the agriculture industry.
edit on 11-6-2014 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

The seed trade is already almost completely black market. I know two dispensary owners and both have said that the vast majority of their growers' seeds are obtained from other countries where pot is still illegal but seeds are legal and considered collectables.

The real problem, now that you mentioned it, just popped into my head.

So Monsanto wants in on the high cannabidiol market (allegedly, this part about them denying they're in this is important). Never mind the other 60 or so cannabinoids, just high CBD. There's not much they can do about seed smuggling. Then one day out of nowhere, the FDA announces Monsanto has been granted a patent on a high CBD strain and (maybe, maybe not) medical marijuana is now legal at the federal level.

Other high CBD strains are outlawed or because Monsanto is a billion dollar company and not a guy in northern California or Colorado breeding and crossbreeding new strains in his yard, theirs is faaaaar superior. Slowly it becomes harder for caretakers to find cuttings/clones of at least 5 of the strains I listed on page 2 (I don't know if a couple are able to be grown from seed but I know at least 5 of those are cutting/clone only) and, to everyone's surprise, the Monsanto strain(s) are all that are available.

I think though that they'd HAVE to spring the news on the world, no buildup or people would stock up on rooting hormones, cuttings and the other things needed to continue the strains.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Magnivea

It will never happen like it did for the agriculture industry. Possibly for the hemp trade, Monsanto will quickly establish their monopoly.

They have no clue what they are up against if they want to use their copyright/patent laws to continue prohibition for the private grower.

@BrianFlanders,

Most potheads fail to live up to the Spicoli stereotype. There is a reason the FBI is having trouble finding talent and re-thinking their position on prior and possibly current use for some employees.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: Magnivea

@BrianFlanders,

Most potheads fail to live up to the Spicoli stereotype. There is a reason the FBI is having trouble finding talent and re-thinking their position on prior and possibly current use for some employees.

When they make it definitive, there won't be a need to issue warrants for foreign nationals employed by their respective countries.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
In all truth what do you expect them to do. I don't know if this is 100% truth or not so I'll keep my moth to myself. But at the end of the day it's Capitalism so there you have it.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

Even if Monsanto's intentions were genuine, there simply is no need to modify an ALREADY easily grown and maintainable plant. The ingredients it contains is JUST right, doesn't need any intervention. The very attempt of a corporation like this to touch such a miraculous plant is a red flag for me. And whatever they do to modify it, or even assimilate it, will no doubt remove ALL of the beneficial qualities of the original plant. Perfection doesn't need perfecting.

And besides, who can trust a corporation like Monsanto? Or any corporation for that matter.

edit on 4-7-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: MagicWand67

This kind of thing has been going on for years behind closed doors, for example US patent 20120311744 A1 'Marked Cannabis For Indicating Medical Marijuana':

"The invention involves transforming Cannabis with a transgene(s) or chemical(s) expressing biological, chemical, luminescent, and fluorescent markers from the UV, visible, near, mid, and far spectrums of light. This transformation allows for the detection of Medical Marijuana from other forms of marijuana."

Not cool,

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

edit on 14/11/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join