It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who "owns" the moon / Mars???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
No really owns the moon/mars. The countrie or company that is able to exploit the resouces (mineing/sercuity) on the moon/mars will own those places unless there is an affective form of government on the moon/mars.

Precisely although moon/mars are uninhabited (for now) then we can say that noone owns the planets.

IBM

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The Moon has been claimed by the United States. Just as Christopher Columbus set foot on the New Land and Planted the Spanish flag, the US has set foot on the new world and planted its flag. Nuff said.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   
im pretty sure that there is a law that no government can own a planet this failed to mention persons so thats why loads of people can buy areas of the moon and now mars i think so i dont think so

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   

By they see ALL
and the only ones to send probes to Mars...

The USSR sent six varyingly successful probes to orbit Mars and the current Mars express orbiter was built by the European Space Agency, with some US involvement.

By Frosty
I seem to have also forgotten where all the man made objects on Mars come from? Does anyone know which country?

The USSR was the first to get foreign objects on the Martian surface in 1971, albeit not in one piece, when two of their probes launched just over a week apart crashed into Mars. Their Lander launched nine days later was the first to successfully land on Mars and send back data. (So by some peoples logic, that would mean they own it
) They crashed another onto the surface in 1973, and three years later the USA managed their first successful landing. There�s also the UK�s Beagle2 rover on the surface somewhere, probably in bits.

www.explorit.org...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The people selling plots on the moon are selling nothing but a piece of paper. What are they going to do if some country like China builds a base on the moon? Try to sue them or charge them rent. No government will honor their claim, so if you buy a piece it's probably less significant then having a celestial body named after you.

They try to compare it to land claims in the US west. Obviously these folks have never been to the moon so their claim is baseless and invalid.

I looked up the claims in the old west & I came up with Homestead Act of 1862. cut & pasted from here.

"A homesteader had only to be the head of a household and at least 21 years of age to claim a 160 acre parcel of land. Settlers from all walks of life including newly arrived immigrants, farmers without land of their own from the East, single women and former slaves came to meet the challenge of "proving up" and keeping this "free land". Each homesteader had to live on the land, build a home, make improvements and farm for 5 years before they were eligible to "prove up". A total filing fee of $18 was the only money required, but sacrifice and hard work exacted a different price from the hopeful settlers.

A good friend of mine still has land in Alaska that his family passed down to him from their homestead.

[edit on 30-11-2004 by outsider]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
"No Government can claim any celestial body as their own because of a treaty signed in 1967. It explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet."

Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, Including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies
Bureau of Arms Control

And just which countries signed the treaty? Now ask the Native Americans if the USA honors its treaties!

[edit on 30-11-2004 by valkeryie]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by kegs

The USSR sent six varyingly successful probes to orbit Mars and the current Mars express orbiter was built by the European Space Agency, with some US involvement.

so i am wrong again

o0o well...

were these probes the viking ones???

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   

No Government can claim any celestial body as their own because of a treaty signed in 1967. It explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet.

The bitch is in the details, hehe...

Pretty much any nation could establish a colony on any celestial body as the crux would really be in enforcement...as currently, nobody has space fighters or space marines (or if they do, they aren't advertising them, hehe...)

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I usaly dont get into these debates but just so you all know who ownes The moon and mars pluse a few hundred trillion other starts plantes and the intire univers . I do and right at this minit Im wrighting up my bill of sale.
and ill have my deed of owener ship to top it off by next week .
anyone want a nice yellow dwarf it comes fully loaded with 9 or ten if you like to call solares a planet .
and a few million rocks throun in to boot . Starting bid at 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000$ But the investment has the potential of paying back over 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 so rely the price is cheep.
any takers?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
No Government can claim any celestial body as their own because of a treaty signed in 1967. It explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet.

Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, Including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies

Bureau of Arms Control

Signed at Washington, London, Moscow, January 27, 1967
Entered into force October 10, 1967

Article II

Outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means

www.state.gov...

Kinglizard you are wrong that treaty was not signed by the three major powers here is the quote and link

Among the many barriers to this proposal is the fact that many nations, including the United States, Russia and China, have not signed the UN Outer Space Treaty, which seeks to make outer space "the province of all mankind."

And the link... www.technovelgy.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Kinglizard you are wrong that treaty was not signed by the three major powers here is the quote and link

I don�t know man. The U.S. Department of state seems to indicate they have signed the treaty.

www.state.gov...

Xon

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I doent think that the us owns the moon or mars. No one does! But I am not sure but I think Europa has sent something to mars. But they did not get respons back after landing. As I said I am not sure! And I have heard that someone did sell (I doent know what it is on english but) Lot's like a house lot...
if you understand. But this was not legal so the man that did this was aressted. But I mean that No one owns the moon or Mars

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Originally posted by sardion2000

I don�t know man. The U.S. Department of state seems to indicate they have signed the treaty.

www.state.gov...

Hmm i dunno what to believe now
maybe its a different treaty but they both sound the same. I think im gonna go with the govt site for now but i'm gonna do more research.

EDIT: I just thought of somthing. Can a treaty be signed but not ratified?

[edit on 30-11-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
According to the court of law, the guy that runs Lunar Registry actually owns the moon. Or is the legal representative to sell the land on the moon. He did this through a law in the United Nations charter. I remember seeing a long interview with him a while back and he explained how he did it and what courts he went through with the lawsuits etc.

So if you ask me, he owns the moon.....I am saving for a nice spot on Venus to work on my tan in the winter. I hear the land on URANUS is cheap....but smelly.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
We don’t own a shi-t, earth moon everything its only a matter of being there and controlling, its rather the opposite everything owns us...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
As long as that mentality is around ie Who Owns it, we'll never advance.

If history has taught us anything ownership of lands invokes territory wars.

Its ours to share, just like the earth - ideally.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Property ownership is really a figment of the imagination, bound up in laws not truly tested except in corrupt courts.

Logic dictates that Earth owns its moon but Sol owns Earth and Mars.

Who owns Sol?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Property ownership is really a figment of the imagination, bound up in laws not truly tested except in corrupt courts.

Logic dictates that Earth owns its moon but Sol owns Earth and Mars.

Who owns Sol?

who the hell is Sol???

the sun???

God???

???

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xon
I doent think that the us owns the moon or mars. No one does! But I am not sure but I think Europa has sent something to mars. But they did not get respons back after landing. As I said I am not sure! And I have heard that someone did sell (I doent know what it is on english but) Lot's like a house lot...
if you understand. But this was not legal so the man that did this was aressted. But I mean that No one owns the moon or Mars

You mean Europe (not Europa) - In which case has been talked about, called Beagle, it probably smacked into the Martian ground.

Untill actual colonization somewhere, You cant own it. (IE: sending a probe to Mars or Americans to the moon, does not make you the owner. However in the future if there are future bases on the moon, and they are planned to be there indeffiniatly then I would say that, Yes, we would own the moon. and by we, I dont mean Americans, I mean the human race.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Simcity4Rushour,

Actually you are too late, I claimed the Universe and all its contents, not previously claimed in writting, back in 1986.

It's probably not worth the paper it was originally printed on, but it is a publicly recorded document.

Who said i wasn't crazy?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join