It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who "owns" the moon / Mars???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
hello ATSers...

i just had a quick question:

who "owns" the moon / Mars???

does america???

i think america does because we are the (only???) ones to send humans to the moon and the only ones to send probes to Mars...

so, is the moon / Mars american "terrirtory"???

thanks...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
That's what the United States want you to think. They just shot the flag from earth to the moon by rocket. No humans have been up there.

Also I don't think the United States would even try to claim mars as their own. They know better not to. Taking over an entire planet will make other countries mad. So then other countries will tell the Martians all about it and tell them to kablooie the United States.

Although taking mars all for themselves is nothing I would care about unless I get to move to mars.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
That's what the United States want you to think. They just shot the flag from earth to the moon by rocket. No humans have been up there.

Also I don't think the United States would even try to claim mars as their own. They know better not to. Taking over an entire planet will make other countries mad. So then other countries will tell the Martians all about it and tell them to kablooie the United States.

Although taking mars all for themselves is nothing I would care about unless I get to move to mars.

i would be pissed if america "claimed" an entire planet for themselves...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
So then other countries will tell the Martians all about it and tell them to kablooie the United States.

i hope you're kidding.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I wouldn't care at all. United States can claim it but they can't cover the entire planet with soldiers so any country can just go and steal the claim. But that would start a war. I think the United States might try and sell em. Maybe start a Homestead Act 2. You get 360 Acres this time and you can only claim if you have a rocket.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think any country that actually manages to build a viable and sustainable base can lay claim. But only if there aren't any native inhabitants that could oppose the issue.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I don't know who legally owns the moon, but the "Lunar Registry" has been flogging blocks of land for ages.

Who knows, being so cheap it might be a good investment for your great grandkids.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I own it, along with the brooklyn bridge and some prime real estate in Florida

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychoses
I don't know who legally owns the moon, but the "Lunar Registry" has been flogging blocks of land for ages.

Who knows, being so cheap it might be a good investment for your great grandkids.

yeah i saw this once before...

its crazy...

BTW is it legal???

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Maybe I should buy 60 acres just in case there's a nuclear war. Then I can rent out my land
. Although it seems legit...try reading the policies on the website and stuff might reveal something.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by CookieMonster000]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
No one owns it by international treaty. The same as no one "owns" Antartica or the Arctic.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
No one owns it by international treaty. The same as no one "owns" Antartica or the Arctic.

So why are they selling acres? I could buy one and then sue them for fraud. Would I get more money in return?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
No Government can claim any celestial body as their own because of a treaty signed in 1967. It explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet.

Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, Including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies

Bureau of Arms Control

Signed at Washington, London, Moscow, January 27, 1967
Entered into force October 10, 1967

Article II

Outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means.

www.state.gov...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
No Government can claim any celestial body as their own because of a treaty signed in 1967. It explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet.

Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, Including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies

Bureau of Arms Control

Signed at Washington, London, Moscow, January 27, 1967
Entered into force October 10, 1967

Article II

Outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means.

www.state.gov...

cool kinglizard BUT then is the selling of the moon legal (because of this treaty)???

thanks for the good info.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Most likely whoever gets out there and occupies and defends it.

The climate isn't real good, crops are hard to grow, radiation levels are high.
Not sure if there are any current logical reasons for moving there, but tourism might have some draw.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   

By CookieMonster000
So why are they selling acres?

Because gullible people will buy anything. The guy selling them uses the loophole that the treaty Kinglizard mentioned only prevents governments from owning it, not individuals. The treaty will simply be changed if we get anywhere near colonising the Moon. In fact I think a change to nullify these claims will be introduced next year.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
cool kinglizard BUT then is the selling of the moon legal (because of this treaty)???

Well that company that sells lunar property claims that because of this treaty they have the right to claim the moon as their land which gives them the right to sell it. This is debatable and I�m not sure if their claim holds water. You can read their claims here.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
No really owns the moon/mars. The countrie or company that is able to exploit the resouces (mineing/sercuity) on the moon/mars will own those places unless there is an affective form of government on the moon/mars.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Anybody remember when the Yems claimed Mars?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I forget which flag is planted in the surface of the moon? Anyone want to help me out?

I seem to have also forgotten where all the man made objects on Mars come from? Does anyone know which country?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join