It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
This is as ridiculous as affluenza.
All we are doing is making up excuses for what the youth does these days, our future is so screwed.

Unless you've lived in one of these areas you have no idea. My old neighborhood was once nice, quiet and full of older people. As they died off houses began being rented out and the inner city moved in. It wasn't long before break-ins, gunshots and muggings became a regular occurrence. Several windows on my house were shot out for no reason and my oldest son was nearly strangled to death by some new kids who had violent ideas of "play".

We no longer felt safe living there. We could no longer allow our kids to walk several blocks to school by themselves. Other kids started taking their lunch money, roughing them up and stealing their bikes and games. Our boys grades began dropping as did their spirits. You could see the change from carefree kids to worrying about someone beating them up or stealing from them anytime they left the house.

We were fortunate that we could afford to move, most families don't have that luxury of choice. Just a few years living in that environment left a permanent mental scar on our family. I can't imagine what not just growing up in such a place but also if you had a violent home life what it could do to you, how it could shape your attitude and outlook on life.

A recent thread on the failings of DC schools affirms the general idea of impoverished, high crime areas leading to PTSD in kids residing there. It's hard to worry about your future ahead when you don't know if you'll survive the week.
edit on 18-5-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-5-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Exactly!!

So now low test scores will be blamed on poverty or PTSD? haha(shakes head in disbelief)

How about all the poverty-stricken rural places who score high? There's also hardly no crime in rural places high on poverty.

edit on 18-5-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It's white wash because no one there is willing to fix the problem. Who are the bad guys is no secret. CA has strict gun laws. The police love to use deadly force. The current remedy is a round robin blame game. No one really wants it fixed.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: undo

Using this standard, the majority of the world probably has PTSD.

for certain, anywhere you have rampant poverty, religious extremism, war, and the ilk, you have people suffering with traumatic experiences that often coalesce as stress disorders. that level of stress hampers your ability to learn new things as well, and interferes with your ability to feel compassion for others or even for yourself. it manifests as self-loathing, which is then redirected at a perceived enemy, whether legitimately or not, is no longer even a consideration.

now let's consider that in light of things like agenda 21. what better formula is there to get people to kill each other off than to 1) impoverish wide swaths of the global populace, 2) create laws that make it nearly impossible to earn money outside of crime, 3) create laws to punish the crime and finally, 4) blame it on the citizens themselves by engendering racial conflict via various forms of popular media. rinse wash repeat.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Yes, the game is being rigged. Being nice and following the rules and protocols is not going to fix it. Just look backward and you see the future unfolding.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Has it not always been like this?

It sucks yes, but throughout human history there has always been poverty and crime.

I hate to say it but it will always be this way.

Ignorance has no boundaries but it seems to hit the poor harder.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01
Has it not always been like this?

Ignorance has no boundaries but it seems to hit the poor harder.

yes, because stress hampers the ability to learn new things which in turn, generates self-loathing. with no way to correct the situation, because you don't even realize you're being manipulated in this fashion, you re-direct the resulting aftermath, outwards. i'd like to say it's a survival mechanism but in reality, it's being artificially created and manipulated. the end game of which is to use us to kill each other off, and allow the wholesale looting of the remainder of the country's labor.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo

now let's consider that in light of things like agenda 21. what better formula is there to get people to kill each other off than to 1) impoverish wide swaths of the global populace, 2) create laws that make it nearly impossible to earn money outside of crime, 3) create laws to punish the crime and finally, 4) blame it on the citizens themselves by engendering racial conflict via various forms of popular media. rinse wash repeat.

It just seems like it would be so much easier and less violent to offer a cash incentive to those who would volunteer to get vasectomies and tubes tied. I'd love it if my taxes helped pay each person in a poverty-stricken community a $1,000 to get a reversible sterilization procedure.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

won't help a thing. in fact, people without offspring are more likely to be reckless with their own lives.
the only thing that will solve this issue is for 1) the leaders and financial institutions to start caring about the people as more than financial instruments to be wielded like weapons, 2) the people to start caring about each other and themselves again, 3) relinquishing the strangehold we tend to keep on the past, so that old sins are forgiven, forgotten and we've all moved on to better things than the blame game.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Population reduction definitely WILL help in the worst poverty-stricken areas. It may take a couple of generations to see the effect, but less people means less hunger, less violence, less crime.

Of course your other points are good ones, but much harder to achieve with so many still here needing assistance.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Population reduction definitely WILL help in the worst poverty-stricken areas. It may take a couple of generations to see the effect, but less people means less hunger, less violence, less crime.

Of course your other points are good ones, but much harder to achieve with so many still here needing assistance.

at one point, i did a study on female infanticide. the study covered various forms of this type of genocide over the millenia. china had traditionally considered their male children to be akin to a social security insurance guarantee, as the culture expected the male offspring to take care of their parents in their old age. female children, on the other hand, were considered maggots in the rice, as they used up family resources and went on to marry into a different family, in which they would help their husband's parents instead. so female children were often murdered at birth. this resulted eventually in a population almost completely devoid of females, causing an entire generation of male children to grow to adulthood without a family and offspring to anchor them to reality or self-preservation. they formed roaming gangs, which in turn, formed roaming armies, which in turn, overthrew the chinese empire.

now that story may sound good as a final result -- beat the emperor and all that -- but how many people had to die (including all those female children) for this to happen? (their one child policy is resulting in pretty much the same thing, today).

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I live in the hood right now. Where I sit and type I have heard the gun shots that have killed 3 people in the last two years. I have heard the gun shots that have wounded 4 people in the last two years. My next door neighbor has had his house burglarized 4 times in the last year. There has been at least 10 cases of police armored trucks (the locals call them jump out boys) the police in full armor jump from these trucks and beat the crap out of whoever they have targeted for arrest. These targeted arrests do not end with convictions because of the excessive force used, usually end up with charges dropped and lawsuits filed. The violence isn't just the civilians but goes hand in hand with the local and state authorities.

You that wish to judge those in the hood need to spend some time here, otherwise you have no idea what people go threw on a daily basis. I'm from a big city where this kind of crime is common, but here its very rural but it has the same crime issues as larger cities. There is very high unemployment here as business continue to close up shop. There are multiple million dollar churches on every other street corner yet next to no charity here, no salvation army and generally all is hopeless here.

I don't blame the people, I blame globalization, if this town had to rely on there food and clothing being produced locally alot of this crime issue would resolve itself.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Well, first of all, I'm not talking about killing babies (although I am pro-choice). I'm talking about reversible sterilization, which prevents babies being born in the first place (male or female). This means that when the current generation of poor dies out, there will be fewer poor people to replace them (poverty tends to be generational).

Secondly, I'm not talking about doing this for the whole nation - only in the worst poverty-stricken areas.

And thirdly, we're not talking about China - that's apples and oranges.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

So you wanna target the poor for this? I find your views sick.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Why? I'm not talking about forcing anything. I'm talking about a voluntary reversible procedure. It would be in their best interest to not reproduce until such time that we could find ways to improve their situation. Less people, less suffering. How is that sick?

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Secondly, I'm not talking about doing this for the whole nation - only in the worst poverty-stricken areas.

and if the poverty isn't resolved for another 100 years, there won't be any of them left, because they will never feel comfortable having offspring, as they won't have a way to realistically support them without government intervention and that certainly hasn't been working out very well. i understand what you mean as far as it helping impoverishment, but the resulting blowback potentials -- it's like a quiet, slow moving genocide.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
This is as ridiculous as affluenza.
All we are doing is making up excuses for what the youth does these days, our future is so screwed.

The real shame and sadness I feel is that there are many expressing what you're expressing, and it shows they have a few more grades to go . Some people know human psychology and don't need to personally fall in ever river to imagine drowning, while others do.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I believe it. It does take it's toll for sure. I was born and raised in the country, but in my highschool years, I was tossed out of every school in my district. I ended up in two schools made for gangbangers, and I adapted to that life. After I graduated, I moved to white plains, in a gang heavy area, to be closer to my peers and the people supplying drugs. I lived in a warzone, even once had a crackhead push his way into my apartment with a huge kitchen knife to try and rob me and shot him down. Two shots with birdshot, didn't have to shoot the third shot, which was a deer slug, the first two shots had him down and screaming like a wounded animal. I still have nighmares to this day of that.

I lived in "the city" for less than 3 years, and it affected me greatly. I seen people shot and stabbed for a few bucks. I was lucky I had a family and a family business to go back to, when I was about ready to end it all. I know many that didn't have what I had, and I pour out a little liquor in their memories. I know plenty that didn't have what I had, and are now in prison, living out the rest of their days like animals. I know plenty that didn't have what I had, and ended their own lives when they knew the jig was up, they faced more than life in prison for drug charges etc. The whole stupidity of my situation, I put myself there. I had the advantage of having parents that meant well, parents that gave a crap, and I almost pissed that away. I have and had, what so many lack in the hoods, and it breaks my heart.

edit on Mon, 19 May 2014 00:05:03 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon, 19 May 2014 00:15:57 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
This is what you have when a state is run by democrats.

Governor Jerry Brown was the Mayor of Oakland (1999–2007) and did nothing for Oakland.
At 76 we are hoping he will croak soon.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
From the cloths and gold chains, shoes and cars these people are driving, why not move out of the ghetto?
Also if they are so scared of their "hood" than why are they out wandering the streets, especially at night? Excuses need to stop.
Firepiston

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join