It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hood Disease: Inner City Oakland Youth Suffering From Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv
What kind of procedure are you talking about? I hope you aren't talking about vasectomies or tubal litigation.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: undo
Lets be very clear here: your thread was about the black community having ptsd.

This article says something quite different.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots
Yeah it aint just black people. You can see it in a lot of poor communities, from the trailer parks, to the barios(might have butchered spelling), to the reservations, to the ghettos.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
Lets be very clear here: your thread was about the black community having ptsd.

This article says something quite different.

it was about the black community in impoverished neighborhoods, having ptsd. i can make one for poor whites, hispanics, and so on, as well, but that thread was the result of watching the video i linked in the first post.

this one

edit on 19-5-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Yeah it aint just black people. You can see it in a lot of poor communities, from the trailer parks, to the barios(might have butchered spelling), to the reservations, to the ghettos.

the fact other poor people have similar issues, doesn't mean poor blacks aren't also having issues with ptsd. anywhere you have violence and poverty, you have the potential for ptsd. i mean even people who aren't poor can show ptsd symptoms from being in war zones. i'm pretty sure police are also suffering with it to some degree, depending on how much violence and death they encounter in their jobs.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo

the fact other poor people have similar issues, doesn't mean poor blacks aren't also having issues with ptsd. anywhere you have violence and poverty, you have the potential for ptsd. i mean even people who aren't poor can show ptsd symptoms from being in war zones. i'm pretty sure police are also suffering with it to some degree, depending on how much violence and death they encounter in their jobs.
I don't want to take this thread off topic, so I will simply say: that is my point.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I don't want to take this thread off topic, so I will simply say: that is my point.

and my point is, if we ignore that, we are ignoring legitimate medical issues, which are causing suffering for large swaths of the black community

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

don't agree with him, he keeps trying to accuse me of racism for actually caring about black people.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I lived in a predominantly black area, I have seen it first hand. I was just pointing out it wasn't a racial issue, not denying that the issue happens to black people. Never being able to relax fully, and always having to keep a lookout for trouble is damaging as hell to the psyche. One of the main reasons 99.9% of news on the idiotbox is the bad news I think. Also one of the main reasons for keeping us in a perpetual state of wars. War on drugs, war on terror etc etc.

Being unable to relax, to have to be on high alert 24/7/365 is damaging as hell. It totally screws with everything. You can't ever come up with any new ideas if you can't just tune out the world and let your mind wander for example.

edit on Mon, 19 May 2014 22:25:19 -0500 by TKDRL because: double negative blah

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I lived in a predominantly black area, I have seen it first hand. I was just pointing out it wasn't a racial issue, not denying that the issue doesn't happen to black people. Never being able to relax fully, and always having to keep a lookout for trouble is damaging as hell to the psyche. One of the main reasons 99.9% of news on the idiotbox is the bad news I think. Also one of the main reasons for keeping us in a perpetual state of wars. War on drugs, war on terror etc etc.

Being unable to relax, to have to be on high alert 24/7/365 is damaging as hell. It totally screws with everything. You can't ever come up with any new ideas if you can't just tune out the world and let your mind wander for example.
Quoted for truth.

This, Undo, is my point. It is not a racial issue in any way. It is a poverty issue.

Once it starts being made into a racial issue, the point is lost.

And, for the record, I am not accusing you of being a racist. I am trying to help you understand that looking down on a specific race of people, even if it is becaus3e you 'want to help them', is racist thinking.
edit on 19-5-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

ty. i knew it wasn't my imagination that this was a likely reason for what was happening. i witnessed ptsd first hand.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

i'm not looking down on anyone. i've been dirt poor, had emotional issues from being in a coma, had a husband with ptsd, so i have a rationale and a foundation, for what i'm saying. the black community thinks the white community doesn't like them. this is not true. they need to hear it from us, first hand, and that's what my thread was about.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

the black community thinks the white community doesn't like them. this is not true. they need to hear it from us

And with that, Im done, as this will only go down a path that gets us both in trouble with the mods.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

It just seems like it would be so much easier and less violent to offer a cash incentive to those who would volunteer to get vasectomies and tubes tied. I'd love it if my taxes helped pay each person in a poverty-stricken community a $1,000 to get a reversible sterilization procedure.

I missed this post earlier. This post makes me want to scream! I am literally physically ill over this. True, vasectomies are slightly easier to reverse with around a 50% success rate if done with in the first few years, the cost to have it reversed is around $6,000 for a small chance that it might be reversed. After 7 years, forget about it.

Tubal litigation reversal procedures have an extremely low success rate. They can cost upwards of $10,000. Often multiple surgeries are needed running upwards of $30,000 upfront. No insurance covers the reversal, although most women with tubal litigation have Post Tubal Litigation Syndrome. Something that the medical community is trying to cover up. If the truth about this came out, the shear amount of lawsuits that would come out of this would overwhelm the medical community.

Tubal litigation reversals, if the woman even gets pregnant at all is most likely going to be a ectopic pregnancy.

As a woman dealing with this, I want to scream and cry. I want to warn every woman on this planet to look up Post Tubal Litigation Syndrome, before you even consider getting it done. I beg every woman considering this procedure to never ever get it done. It will ruin your life.
edit on 19-5-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Not to take it totally offtopic here, but the white people I have met seem to be afraid of the same thing. They feel like they have a target on their back for nothing more than being born white. None of the white people I know well have owned slaves, or oppressed anyone. Most of the white people I know well are in the same boat as me, blue collars, hardworking people. I have met and even liked a few rich white people, but they were all self made, coming from about as poor as me. I have met silver spoon fed generations rich white people, and they generally treated me like dirt.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

the black community thinks the white community doesn't like them. this is not true. they need to hear it from us

And with that, Im done, as this will only go down a path that gets us both in trouble with the mods.

well how else do you propose we get the message out? currently, there's a great deal of anomosity building up between communities, and i'm trying to stop that from happening. there's also alot of people in the black community who are suffering from living in a poverty stricken war zone, year round. what am i supposed to do, pretend like it's not happening? i don't get what you're trying to say, other than trying to make every attempt at peace making and compassion, look evil

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Wouldn't this simply be called poverty?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: WhenDovesCry

police and soldiers have it too, depending of course, on their experiences on the job.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Oakland is a rough place and I don't doubt PTSD as a posable issue. But as a former resident of Oakland Has anybody considered the high rate of substance abuse and its effects on the childeren of users . Being born with developemental issues due to a pregenant mother's use and then growing up in a toxic environment cant help a child's developement a reply to: undo

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Also EMT and nurses that I know. All kinds of people, underpaid, under appreciated and dealing with the blowback. I am not a huge cop supporter these days, due to my own mistreatment at their hands. A huge reason I live where I do now is that there is no police force at all.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join