It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden allows NATO AWACS overflight their airspace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Are things escalating ?
Rare decision is made in Sweden to allow AWAC planes to use their air space. There has been a lot conversations in Sweden to join NATO since Ukraine situation.
AWACS (Airborne Warning and Control Systems) airplanes are also a battle command planes. Situation in Ukraine seems to worry swedish people a lot so what ATS thinks are they just jumpy or are things really escalating now. Why NATO needs to fly over swedish air space ?

Time AWACS are allowed to use swedish air space is from may 8 to may 31.

According Svenska Dagbladet the reason is increased military activity in neighboring countries.

Svenska Dagbladet

edit on 30-4-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

A Google Translated version of the website: Link

I don't know if it's escalating or not. I'll pay attention to this, thanks for sharing.

*Edit*
I'm in Norway, and over the past couple of days I've been hearing a lot of big, low flying planes. It's very rare to hear them fly over where I'm at. The first thing I thought about was the situation in Ukraine for some reason. (Maybe I should dust off that old tinfoil hat?)
edit on 30-4-2014 by Auricom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
My wife is Swedish, they are a Beautiful people. I wish they don't do this and get involved.Russia was/is no threat to them unless they join N.A.T.O. Only then it would involve them.Please stay out of N.A.T.O.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Auricom--->I'm in Norway, and over the past couple of days I've been hearing a lot of big, low flying planes. It's very rare to hear them fly over where I'm at.

The only millitary traffic last 6-7 days have been up North, cargo planes at Bodo and Evenes, and increased activity 339 squadron between Bardufoss and Andenes. (Dunno where you are located)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Auricom

We live even closer to Russia having a border with Russia Norway and Sweden ( what a tricky puzzle right lol ). There has been a conversations of joining NATO too and issue will be on the table next fall. Tho in here people seem not so scared that Ukraine situation would escalate in Scandinavia.
Can´t say i had heard unusual airplane sounds mainly cos i hear military planes almost daily anyway as there is a military airbase just few kilometers away where i live and hornets have been the birds in the sky as long as i have lived here.

Anyway, in my opinion Sweden to took such an action with NATO now is some what wreckless because it only causes tension in Scandinavia and close to Russian borders. If something happens i don´t think Sweden is in direct threat anyway.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The Russian pratice bombing runs on Sweden in November added to Russia's actions in Ukraine of course make Sweden nervous. While no NATO nation has come under threat from Russia as of yet, Georgia and Ukraine have have both suffered direct Russian intervention and Moldova has been under pressure. For Sweden and Finland the trend has become clear, Russia has avoided messing with NATO states and has focused on non NATO states. And both Sweden and Finland have territory Russia also claims.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Doesn't seem like escalation to me, they're not offensive weapons platforms, they're surveillance aircraft... had NATO fighters patrolled the Russian boarders then... escalation yes

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

Anyway, in my opinion Sweden to took such an action with NATO now is some what wreckless because it only causes tension in Scandinavia and close to Russian borders. If something happens i don´t think Sweden is in direct threat anyway.

Wreckless how?

Because of Russian bullying and aggression, nobody should fear Russia and that's what NATO is for

Sweden is a special partner in NATO and has offered and supported NATO mission since the 1990s, it is also along with Eastern block country's a member of the EU, Russia has no say or business in telling any of its neighbours what to do or dictating where there political allegiance may lie...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Ivar_Karlsen

That can't be right, I don't like giving out exact details but I'm in Østfold (and sometimes Oslo). I've heard several large planes recently fly overhead.

On my way to bed, so more tomorrow. G'night everyone.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Well it is right. (I've checked)

The only traffic over Østfold is civilian cargo and passenger planes.
There are no NOTAM's issued regarding military traffic either.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Ivar_Karlsen

I heard two large planes, I didn't have the opportunity to check. (I did peek out the window but didn't see anything.) No civilian airplanes fly that low here. My windows were shaking.

top topics

join