It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapid melt of Antarctic Ice happened 8000yrs ago

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
You obviously don't know how global temperature works. I'm no expert, but let's just say one part of the world being hot in the past doesn't mean that the Earth's average temperature was higher. In addition, we are in a cooling period of the Earth right now, and because it's a lot hotter than other cooling periods, it shows that the Earth's rising temperature is very likely man-made. Also, explain why there is such a sharp increase in temperature the past 100 years, coincided with the Industrial Revolution? Did the Earth just suddenly shift to another Warming Age?

However, one should also not rule out another civilization existing back then. If you look the population growth
rate in history, it appears that it goes up by a factor of 50 after 2000 years or so. Unfortunately, all of the wars in the Dark Ages kind of muddled things a bit(though I would say it's no coincidence, just imagine if the Earth's population had been greater by a factor of 2 or even 4, or about 50-100 years earlier, now. In other words, the Internet had to happen, fast, or the game starts over), but if you look at the Earth's population from 1990 till 2050, without any wars or things like the Black Death, it seems to double. We DO have exactly a margin of 50-100 years to change things(now the UFOs can always revive us if we failed, but you don't want to start over like that.)

If you were to look at the world population history(though I think it's not as accurate when you go past 2000 BC) and rate, no matter how you look at it, i.e at intervals of 500 or 2000, it SHOULD go back to 1 at 6000-12000 B.C(the last Ice Age). Certainly, it doesn't go back to hundred of thousands of years, or even millions(it depends on what they count as humans in the past.)

In fact, give any species 10,000 years and they pretty much populate the Earth. Give all species million of years, without any extinction events, and well, you would have mountains of fossils, in the trillion.

You can also look at the projection of the African nations in the future, it seems that without any outside influence(like one child policy or just "awareness" of being overpopulated, including reading abovetopsecret or youtube videos), without any wars, then the population DOES double every 50 year, even with diseases. Now obviously, rape is also a factor, but one has to figure that this must have happened a lot back then also, if you suppose that we used to be cavemen.

Now let's assume a few things: cavemen back then were equally horny as we are now. their lifespan was at least 40 years, where most are able to reach reproductive age and able to reproduce most kids, there were no contraceptives back then, which means a kid would have been born every time they had sex, there were no wars before 10,000 B.C.
They didn't have a sense of how many kids are enough. This tells me that the population growth must have been a lot higher. 1000000 is way too few, after million of years.

So, the point here is that perhaps something DID happen 6000-12000 years ago. It's possible that the Ice Age(or something that caused the ice to melt) and the Flood are the same thing, perhaps the Ice Age was miscalculated a bit, or the Age of the Flood is off a bit(some say the Earth is 10000 years old?) It's possible that 1 million people were revived after the Flood. According to Rand Paul, modern humans appeared in their present form 10,000 ago(in fact, there's evidence that the blond hair blue eyes genes appeared just 5000 years ago), even though he pretty much said it in blind faith, I think he's right.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: np6888

You obviously don't know how global temperature works. I'm no expert, but let's just say one part of the world being hot in the past doesn't mean that the Earth's average temperature was higher.

For what it's worth? You're absolutely right on that. I'm not a scientist and my degree is being pursued in Geographic Information Systems, not field work to chisel the rocks, core the ice or freeze my petutie off, sleeping on the ice sheet. It's why I quote from academic journals and trade papers specific to those who do pursue this for a living.

However, one should also not rule out another civilization existing back then.

I don't rule it out, but science does. This time fell into the Neolithic Revolution. It describes the period evidence indicates man moved from hunter/gatherer to settlements and building for the whole, not the one. An exciting time to learn about, as I have to some degree, but nothing suggesting artificial sources for the conditions across the globe at the time. Nature did what nature does, by all evidence available that I have found.

edit on 26-4-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
what makes me laff:
is the cow fart global warming theory
now back in the day ( well, a little further back then the OP ) it would have to have been dinosaur farts
and if dinos were like birds as some fossils has been found: dinos with feathers,
and dinos ate rocks like birds do...and did dinosaur farts

well, you witness the invention of DUCK!
talk about x-stink-t

ps:
mods im hoping for a pass for comedic reliefs sake on this one
but will take what i get

edit on Sunam4b20144America/Chicago21 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Sunam4b20144America/Chicago36 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: np6888

it shows that the Earth's rising temperature is very likely man-made.

www.climatedepot.com...
oooops

edit on Sunam4b20144America/Chicago59 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Danbones

Your right with that. The fact Global Warming has had a prolonged pause, as they call it, is a phenomenon remarked upon by Universities, NASA and others. Articles abound on that too, in some directories of material.

Which is all the more worrying, IMO, since the ice melt down there IS happening. That's not theory as they are measuring the ice, ranges and bedrock with everything from Radar to Lidar. (The high res stuff is incredible in software to work with it). So something is rotten in the state of den...errr..Antarctica. I hope the smell isn't sulphur. That would be a hell of a place for a BIG one to pop.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000
not to be disagreeable

here in the north
Speaking as someone on the edge of winter, who live outs side a lot and who often travels on the ice in seasons that verge on freezing and thaw, and has to know to stay safe on the ice, I can easily tell through observation:

Cloudy periods, high humidity, and low pressure, and prevailing wind direction, cause warmer temps, and hasten ice melt, and while not applicable inland so much, but totally applicable on the water, water currents of any kind, and variations in salinity, will also add to that first set of universal freeze thaw maxims.
Also snow cover and quality is effected by the above and in turn effects melt rates..so does the particulate content/heat absorption ratio in the snow

it's life or death to know this, so judgmental error is not an option, and must be done in absence of weather media too.
I can tell you its a subtle but very intricate balance of forces and filters...
edit on Sunam4b20144America/Chicago00 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: benrl

The sad fact is, people will continue to do something, until the negative effects are too late.

Yes. We are slaves to our biology, unfortunately. We cannot alter our behaviour; sometimes, as with contraception, we can alter the consequences, but climate change is too big and complex to be tackled that way.

Like all species, we will continue to multiply and exploit our environment until it is exhausted, then we will die out. And there will always be the selfish idiots who will deny that we are doing it, because they want to feather their own nests and to hell with other people's grandchildren.

The Earth will survive, and so will life on it, though many species endemic to this era will die with us. That is the best anyone can expect.

edit on 27/4/14 by Astyanax because: of selfish idiots.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
re my comment regarding currents and melting ice...
and i wasn't even thinking of temperature differential, just the effect of movement of water on ice quality
though even on local ice current brings up deep water that is above freezing

Warm Water Under Antarctic Glacier Spurs Rapid Melting...
A two-month-long expedition to one of the most remote sites on the planet — the sprawling Pine Island Glacier in Antarctica — has revealed that currents of warm water beneath the glacier are melting the ice at a staggering rate of about 2.4 inches (6 centimeters) per day.

An international team of researchers journeyed to the southernmost continent to study the Pine Island Glacier, which is the longest and fastest-changing glacier on the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. This region, in the far reaches of Antarctica, has been of particular interest to scientists because it is among the most rapidly melting ice masses in the world, thinning as it flows to the Amundsen Sea at a rate of about 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) each year.

Since warm seawater flows beneath the ice shelf (the part of the glacier that floats on the ocean), scientists have known that the Pine Island Glacier was melting from below. Now, using sensors deployed across the 31-mile-long (50-km-long) glacier, the researchers have gauged the rate of glacial melt beneath the solid ice. [Album: Stunning Photos of Antarctic Ice]
www.livescience.com...

even here ice freezes from the top down and then melts from the bottom up
barring snow fall, snow machine tracks made early in the season can still be there in the spring
even though the ice went from a foot thick to 5 feet thick and then back to the first foot again in the spring melt
one has to be very careful following older tracks in the spring

edit on Sunam4b20144America/Chicago49 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

also i just remembered as long as its sea ice melting there is a density equasion which means no sea level rise
that would have to come from a net loss of land ice world wide
www.eo.ucar.edu...
edit on Sunam4b20144America/Chicago07 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

It has been suggested that this recent acceleration could have been triggered by warm ocean waters at the end of PIG, where it has a floating section (ice shelf) approximately 50 km (31 mi) long. It has also been shown that PIG underwent rapid thinning during the Holocene, and that this process may continue for centuries after it is initiated.

en.wikipedia.org...

granted if the ice melt continues onto the land based section of the Pig then we just might get some duckfeet
edit on Sunam4b20144America/Chicago13 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Sunam4b20144America/Chicago51 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

....How does anybody know this climate change isn't natural regardless of how it's happening ?

Doesn't matter, imho. Fact is, climate change happens - and in the past it decimated civilizations. Maybe this time around we could act to protect society instead of positioning to pillage the scraps and enslave the survivors.

'Ya think?

edit on 27/4/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow
or we could wait until we have civilization worth protecting

just sayin

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Yes climate change happened before. Who didnt know this?

Anyway it is not about if it happened before but at what speed it happened.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Yes, we already know the climate has changed in the past... the real question is WHAT CAUSED IT?

There are multiple things that can cause climate change... One cause is the Sun changing, and another cause is an increase in greenhouse gases. There are other causes that can take place as well.

So what does this topic prove or disprove? Absolutely nothing.
edit on 30-4-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I believe that ocean currents move around just like the jet streams but in a much slower cycles.

This would show up as warming in the Arctic and Antarctic as dips in the currents move closer and farther from ice caps.

globalwarmingisreal.com...

This could also cause changes in the weather and climate around the world with or without CO2

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join