It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Cops shooting dogs - An non US Citizens view

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: anton74

Good point, but does that mean our officers could not exercise more restraint and consideration. I am not saying there is never a moment that warrants shooting a dog. Did you read the earlier thread? This is what I am talking about. A situation that could have been avoided and then this officer makes wise ass cracks about killing the dog. These guys are too detached and need to employ a little empathy and think about how they would feel if the same thing happened to their dog. This is happening too much imo, that's all.
edit on 24-4-2014 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BeliefInReality

If the officers safety is in question, it is ALWAYS acceptable to protect himself, and shoot an animal. No LEO should have to take a bite.

I think I agreed with you back when cops felt as much as the public that a lot of things went wrong before it came to needing to shoot a dog. Trying to avoid the situation was reasonable, not wimpy, as it seems to be considered today.

Sure..if a cop is totally surprised in a way he shouldn't be for a dog coming on to attack, the dog isn't likely coming out of it alive. So be it. Darwin had some good points, and dogs don't sit higher than man. (Altho..some, including myself, put them close)

The real difference, IMO, is that once cops considered a dog confrontation to be a fail and bad outcome in itself. Now? It's just another obstacle to clear in a days work for the circumstances some are happening in.
edit on 24-4-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BeliefInReality

A LEO, who puts his life on the line day in and day out, has no obligation to go hands on, shoot to wound, or take a dog bite. That's fantasy land.

Yes, that is fantasy land, the bit about A LEO who puts his life on the line day in and day out. There are many professions that are much more dangerous than being a police officer. You are much less likely to make it home to your family after a day on the job if your a logger, fisherman, aircraft pilot, roofer, garbage collector, electrical power line installer/repair person, a person working in oil or gas extraction, a farmer, rancher or construction worker. It's also worth mentioning that most police officers that are killed on the job aren't killed by criminals or anything related to crime.

Source

So if you want an award, or sympathy, get in line behind the people in the list above.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: anton74

In 2012 almost 6,000 postal workers were bitten by dogs, how odd indeed.

No doubt we should give them all sidearms with minimal training, so they can be just like LEOs. Then they can be safe and go home to their families at the end of the shift. Because it was coming right for him.

eta: except to be just like LEOs, you'd have to add in a few postal workers shooting dogs in cages, shooting them in the back yards from outside, and shooting them as they run away.
edit on 24-4-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeliefInReality
If the officers safety is in question, it is ALWAYS acceptable to protect himself, and shoot an animal. No LEO should have to take a bite. When police are executing search/arrest warrants, they are doing so covertly. There is no way to "call animal control," and maintain stealth.

Btw stealth = safety for all those involved. LEOs taking down bad guys with overwhelming force prevents a gun fight, and, hopefully, allows the police to bring in the perp without shots fired.

Polce with this philosophy are their own worst enemy. They are also the enemy of a Constitutional Republic. Screw civil rights -- No-knock warrants, sneak-n-peak, murder, lies and false reports pretty much sums up what they have devolved into.

I will not shed a simgle tear when one of their victims hunts them down and does what comes naturally. What comes 'round, goes round.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: HanzHenryHave you ever faced an injured or hurt animal before? Pepperspray or tazers do not always work, and if the animal is hurt or injured, it goes from a bad situation to something far worse. The blame should not always be on the cops, but the owners. It is the owners who allow their dogs to run loose, choosing to ignore the laws. it is the owners who choose to not to keep the animals under control. And not every dog is the friendly house pet that you would think to see. Breaking up dog fights or fending one off, is not always as simple as pulling something that will have a chance of stopping the animal to something that will. And as sad as this stance is, the facts are that in most cases, from what I have seen, the animal was not under the control of the owner, but running free. And if it was under the control of the owner, where it was restrained properly and the cops did shoot it, then the cop is at fault. But those kinds of shootings are far and few between.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam
Contrary to popular belief, most postal carriers, or meter persons or other people like that will not go into a yard where there is a sign that is posted beware of dog. They do leave notes, or refuse to deliver things like packages. And here again, if the dog bites one of those persons, the animal is taken away and the owner gets a nice hefty fine, law suit, and in some cases a felony conviction, along with there is a good chance that the animal is put down.

So tell me, have you ever been attacked by a dog? Or bitten? Have you taken the time to visit the local pound to see the large number of dogs that are just thrown away, seen the state of these animals, or even been there or actually euthanized an animal? it is neither pretty or nice, it is harsh and rough on having to do it. Before you ask, yes I have had to put down dogs, some 10 thousand dogs in a years time, all cause they had bad owners. And from what I saw, these same people who though life was worthless, chances are they went out and got another animal, rather than take responsibility.

Perhaps if the laws were a bit more strict on the owners, making it much more costly for failing to protect the dog and see to its needs and taking responsibility, there would not be incidences where dogs were either shot by the officer, put down at a shelter, or even tossed out like garbage.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

So tell me, have you ever been attacked by a dog? Or bitten? Have you taken the time to visit the local pound to see the large number of dogs that are just thrown away, seen the state of these animals, or even been there or actually euthanized an animal?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and I was a farm kid, not only have I euthanized my own animals when the situation called for it, I've killed and dressed many a critter. Although usually not large livestock, as they're a mess unless you've got proper equipment.

Before you ask, yes I have had to put down dogs, some 10 thousand dogs in a years time...

Wow, you must have gotten the cop of the year award. That's over-achievement with a capital O! Bravo Zulu! Hello, ma'am, I'm here from the local precinct, oh, is that a poodle? BAM BAM BAM sorry, we're getting donations for PAL...ma'am? Ma'am?

(yeah, yeah, I know, you were in Animal Control at one point. But the mental image of a totally over the top 10K dog shooter was overwhelming)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: anton74

originally posted by: Bedlam
a reply to: sdcigarpig

How odd that postal carriers go into peoples' yards every day without having to kill the dogs.

Or the meter guys. Or fire department. Or...well, you get the idea. Not every dog is a pit bull, although I get the idea that you guys see them that way. And of course, you always get away with shooting a dog, the way the law is written. So if the owner mouths you a bit - bam! Lesson taught, eh?

In 2012 almost 6,000 postal workers were bitten by dogs, how odd indeed.

Everyone knows the dog hates the mailman. (Stereotypically)
Should the mailman shoot the dog?
You assume a risk in whatever job you have. As a cop, you should assume that one day you might be put in harms way.
Cops nowadays it seems are so paranoid that anyone or anything that barks or yells or questions them is a threat. They are no longer here to protect and serve. They are here to protect themselves and alienate the rest.

Seriously, a dog doesn't care if you are a cop or the president. Dogs are territorial. Is barking (speaking) a reason to be shot?
If I walked into another persons yard and shot their dog because it barked at me, would you sympathize with me?

edit on 25-4-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

It is the owners who allow their dogs to run loose, choosing to ignore the laws. it is the owners who choose to not to keep the animals under control. And not every dog is the friendly house pet that you would think to see.

You just described how police departments let their cops run loose, choosing to ignore the laws. It is the police departments who choose not to keep their cops under control... not every cop is the friendly guy that you would think to see....

Look dude you are clueless, you don't even get the point of this thread.....

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: On the level

While its bad when its a good dog....

some dogs are trained killers, its not like you can tell a violent trained dog to "stop or i will shoot"

some times its necessary, usually not, but cops take risks and call shots.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: imitator

Agreed another brainwashed person that will defend the state until they are putting him in a camp for his own protection. The point of this thread isn't about police going to arrest gang bangers and having to shoot pit bulls that are launched at them. It's about the consistant decline in respect by the police for the homeowner and taxpayer. Shooting dogs is the first step to a Judge Dredd type of lawman. They are getting to the point that they have no accountability and are above the very laws they are supposed to uphold.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Bravo Zulu, Mate. Regards, Jayman

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Why as a farm kid, I am surprised, that you tend to fail to see the one important point, and that is if a dog bites a person, and the owner can not be found, the animal has to be put down and the head removed. That is the only way to make absolutely sure if the animal does or does not have rabies. And you as a farm kid would also know that the kindest and quickest way is a bullet to the brain.

Police will not take that chance with a dog that is running loose, they have neither the time or the will to capture and detain a dog that is running around and acting aggressive. So now you go back to the owner, who will cry and complain how unfair, yet the question is this: That if you own a dog, and that if the animal is out of your control, that is to say it is running around and not in say a fenced in yard or on a leash, and that the police will shoot it if they come across it, why do you still allow it to happen, then why let it?

Would it not be simpler to keep the animal under control in a fenced in yard or on a leash than take that chance? After all if you also consider the cost of the food, vet and toy bills, it can get to be pretty hefty amount for a dog.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Well according to this lodgic, a dog is not a #ing cop either, thus no charges should be levied for killing one attacking you.

but oh no, you get the same charges as if you killed an actual cop. they cry and snot and bawl just like WE do. they give an officers funeral ect. its all bull#.

you cant have a double standard. no all these pro cop (pro murder pro cruelty) posters are part of the problem and are the problem and the enemy.

Cops are at war with the american people and their families and pets. we are being targeted, labeled as terrorist, threats, problems. Cops are trained to see us the same way we all were told to view muslims. that we are all terrorist and only here to kill them.

cops have become the biggest pussies ive ever seen. complete chicken#.

and dont give me that "good cop" bull#. if they stand by and ignore the issue, get their "story"straight they are just as GUILTY!!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Funny, the most recent one was on a farm, on its property.

so dogs should always be on a leash?? My county has no leash law. what about places like that where they ARE following the law.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: On the level
There is a method to this madness. In fact to use the dog breed of pit-bull as an analogy:

By the shooting of family pet dogs inside the owner's own house or yard, these cops who serve their corporation are training all victims of this act of terrorism to become exactly like vicious pit-bulls. It is a kind of training for the populace - fear the master but at the same time develop a suppressed resentment and aggression. If a pit-bull is trained successfully, it will be loyal to its master because it is reliant on the master for its basic survival, but yet see the enemy of its master as its enemy. "Operation shock and awe" is part of this training as training is basically mind-control and successful mind-control depends on manipulation of traumatic event(s).

Yes, the family pet is loved and considered to be part of the family, and its murder and consequent powerlessness of its owners to prevent it or seek later redress on the issue, creates trauma for them, especially the children who witness it (and the powerlessness of their parents who they considered their guardians in a literal sense).

This suppressed aggression in the population then can be used and directed against the enemy of the masters - whatever enemy they choose to point to and say "Sic him!"

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snakedoctorjw

Funny, the most recent one was on a farm, on its property.

so dogs should always be on a leash?? My county has no leash law. what about places like that where they ARE following the law.

Oh, on that one? The cop shot the dog in the back of the head, at close range. The dog was a bit bigger than a poodle.

The cop was fired immediately because the populace told the sheriff his days as sheriff were about to conclude, he decided that recall trumped the blue line and booted the guy. He now faces possible felony animal abuse and breaking and entering charges. I tossed a few hundred towards the dog owner for his funding campaign to see the deputy dealt with in a proper fashion and to lobby for a law that has some serious teeth in for dog shooting LEOs. Not that it'll happen, but it's a start.
edit on 25-4-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Why as a farm kid, I am surprised, that you tend to fail to see the one important point, and that is if a dog bites a person, and the owner can not be found, the animal has to be put down and the head removed. That is the only way to make absolutely sure if the animal does or does not have rabies. And you as a farm kid would also know that the kindest and quickest way is a bullet to the brain.

And I am surprised by this odd non-sequitur. It can be kind to euthanize an animal that way, but only when they are in terminal pain and no other option presents. Otherwise, it's a cop-out (odd, that) and a self-serving bit of fluff to cover cruelty. There's really no point in shooting fleeing dogs, non-aggressive dogs, dogs that are wanting to play or greet, dogs in pens, back yards, shut in rooms when you come to the house and so on. Yet that happens every day with LEOs. And usually, unless you get caught doing it on video that you don't get a chance to destroy, nothing will happen at all. If it does come to the point LEOs are going to be forced into court for this, you settle and the tax payers get to pay for your stupidity and arrogant cruelty.

...and that the police will shoot it if they come across it, why do you still allow it to happen, then why let it?

There's no place you can put the dog that a cop won't shoot it. Or contrive a situation in which he feels he can get away with shooting it. Like opening the fence, or letting the dog out of the car.

I'm all for shooting aggressive dogs, though, what's your opinion on police dogs? Would it be ok if I shoot one that attacks the wrong person? No?

edit on 25-4-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
You are not reading the full posting, only want you want to. As I have stated before, if the animal is under the control of the owner, properly restrained in say a fenced in yard, or on a leash, where the owner has full control over the animal, if the police shoots it, then the police is in the wrong. If the animal is running loose on the street or where it is not under control of the owner, then the police are in the right.

You can not have it both ways, cause eventually, if animals are allowed to run free, there will be problems. I guess that all of the kind hearted people would prefer to have a pack of dogs running rampant in the streets, then the cry will be why don't the authorities do something? Or would you prefer a more legal aspect, like say San Francisco that makes laws that restricts a persons right to get a dog as a pet?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join