It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nicaragua: Experts downplay volcanic threat, warn of more quakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Nicaraguan authorities say “there’s no scientific evidence” of a pending eruption of Momotombo and Apoyeque volcanos despite recent earthquake activity along nearby fault lines.

In a report released this afternoon by Nicaragua’s Disaster Response Agency (SINAPRED), a team of national and foreign experts say the current seismic activity “could lead to future scenarios of volcanic activity” north of Managua, but there’s no evidence of an immediate eruption.

Scientists say there’s no variation to the water quality in the volcanic craters and nearby wells, no emission of sulfur dioxide, and no change to the structure of volcanos — all good signs.

However, the report says, the dramatic increase in seismic activity over the past week is similar to the “hundreds of earthquakes” that proceeded the 1999 eruption of Cerro Negro Volcano in León.

nicaraguadispatch.com...

The SINAPRED report says the seismic activity between Momotombo and Apoyeque appears to be diminishing, but authorities are not ruling out the possibility of additional aftershocks with magnitudes between 5 and 6 on the Richter Scale

Scientists also notes the recent “deformation” to the coastline of Lake Managua, which caused the water to recede in the lake. They say they’re investigating the matter, but think it’s “secondary to the high amount of seismic activity in the region.” The report says the overall water temperatures in the lake are considered normal, and said earlier claims of rising temperatures could be due to natural hot springs found in different parts of the lake.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
INETER: earthquakes moving from west to east

--April 17--

More than 400 quakes registered in the past 8 hours

(posted April 17, 12:00pm) — Nicaragua remains on high alert as Managua continues to shake and rattle.

In the past eight hours, the Nicaraguan Institute of Territorial Studies (INETER) has registered 19 additional earthquakes (ranging in magnitude between 1.7-2.5), 418 smaller tremors and thousands of aftershocks — all with epicenters between Momotombo and Apoyeque volcanos, on the northern side of Managua.

INETER reports the earthquake activity appears to be migrating from west to east. The government agency is increasing its monitoring capabilities with the addition of 10 new GPS systms in the affected region, INETER reports.

Just posting this for those that keep track of EQ...

edit on 20-4-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
There has been a lot of quakes in the past ten days. Some pretty strong ones. Thankfully no major damage from them.

I watch quakes and correlate the suns activity to them. Almost every time there is a strong flair, a quake follows within 2-4 days.

Its interesting to me that something so far away effects our weather here on earth.

I don't know about all you you fine members on ATS but i consider quakes to be weather, and the sun controls our weather.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta
That thinking seems to be right on, EQ as weather.
I wonder about the cause? Is the Sun & cosmos alone the driving force or does our earth have a equal power.
If you are not already following Suspicious0bserversCollective I think you will find some good info there.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: donlashway

Thanks for the link. Checking it out.

I can only surmise that from out limited scientific perspective, we can not truly see the causal relationship between the Sun and Earth. Same goes for bigger bodies like the solar system, galaxy and universe.

I believe once we reach a quantum computing environment, we will be able to render the universe inside a computer and
truly begin to delve into the secrets locked away in the vastness of empty space.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: donlashway
a reply to: shaneslaughta
That thinking seems to be right on, EQ as weather.
I wonder about the cause? Is the Sun & cosmos alone the driving force or does our earth have a equal power.
If you are not already following Suspicious0bserversCollective I think you will find some good info there.

I would like to recall some of my science, when the sun releases a flare, it messes with the polarity of the material here on earth.

Everything has a positive and negative polarity. like a magnet. And when the flare makes it to earth, it's kinda like trying to push two magnets with the same polarity of the magnets together they will repel each other.

Might be a reason, but it's and educated guess on my part.

Cuz I am an edumacated idiot.........

edit on 20-4-2014 by thepolish1 because: had to add to a thought

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Sorry went off topic.
Have been watching the EQ activity there.
Thing that concerns me the most is the number of people living in the area.
Around the lakes looks so vulnerable...
a reply to: snarky412

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: donlashway
Sorry went off topic.
Have been watching the EQ activity there.
Thing that concerns me the most is the number of people living in the area.
Around the lakes looks so vulnerable...
a reply to: snarky412

No worry and thanks for the link

new topics

top topics

join