It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: 8.0 Earthquake strikes off Northern Coast of Chile; Tsunami Warning Issues

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Pretty good summary here.

PzFeed Top News
@PzFeed
Massive Earthquake in Chile:
- 2 dead
- 3 injured
- Mass blackouts
- 300 Prisoners escaped
- 3 large fires
- Tsunami warning continues

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

dfens
I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure 8M is huge. I'm looking forward to hear TrueAmerican and westcoast weigh in on this. This is not cool.

8.0 is very big. That's considered a "giant" quake. This quake, that they are now calling an 8.2, is very large, obviously. However, that's not really a mega thrust quake. Those are 8.8 and higher.

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

dfens
I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure 8M is huge. I'm looking forward to hear TrueAmerican and westcoast weigh in on this. This is not cool.

Yes. 8.0 is HUGE. That was about the strength of the Alaskan quake of 64.

For a comparison, the Loma Prieta quake that did all that damage in the Bay Area in 89' was a 7.0.

Actually, that 1964 Alaskan quake was around 9.2, if I remember right. It also lasted about 4 and a half minutes. The amount of energy release was vastly greater in that earthquake. Not even remotely close.
edit on 1-4-2014 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
That video of the shaking is crazy...having lived through major typhoons and earthquakes, I have to say there's this indescribable sense of terror when the world around you is convulsing. I'm awed and frightened by the power of say a powerful storm, but earthquakes render a person into this complete state of helplessness.

I seriously hope the damage and lives lost will be as minimal as possible...but we are due for a few really big ones.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Excellent coverage link across the board.

Thank you very much!

Des

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Just heard!!

8.2...and tsunami effect for Chile, Panama, Equador, and Columbia.

2 dead so far

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

TNMockingbird
reply to post by Bigburgh

Dumb question I am sure but, does anyone remember the height of the "waves" then? Is this similar...smaller? I will look but, thought this would be quicker...

Waves from 30-40 feet high hit Indonesia and Thailand in the 2004 quake/tsunami. The ones reported in this one seem to be about 6 feet. However, it is too early to know if Larger waves have hit elsewhere. We shall have to wait and see.

Even though 6 feet is small compared to 2004, it can still do considerable damage on the immediate coast, and inland for a bit.

Wow, 30-40 feet? Really? That is ridiculous! Thank you Skadi for the information! I was wondering about relative wave heights.

Red Cloak

dfens

8.0 is very big. That's considered a "giant" quake. This quake, that they are now calling an 8.2, is very large, obviously. However, that's not really a mega thrust quake. Those are 8.8 and higher.

Thanks for that information as well. Good to know the terminology.
edit on 01pmTue, 01 Apr 2014 22:41:55 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I just watched a movie about a mega quake happening in Chile where the prison opened up and the inmates ran like a gang. I hope it doesn't go down like that because we don't really need to debilitate our fellow humans. We should all help in times of disaster.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

BennyOj
Video pulled from twitter' evacuation sirens going off in the background

scary indeed.
edit on 11/01/2011 by BennyOj because: (no reason given)

hmm not sure how to link the video. Sorry

fixed it!!

Wow, that was probably the scariest movie clip I've seen. It reminds me of one of those real-camera flicks. The pan over to the television and the sirens... crazy.
edit on 01pmTue, 01 Apr 2014 22:46:23 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
According to CNN, TSUNAMI warnings have been cancelled...........

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

Thank God.

Drowning is probably one of the most panic inducing ways to go. I've been close and it is terrifying.

I'm glad that there is no tsunami and hopefully it isn't as bad as advertised.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dfens

My biggest fear is dying by drowning.....just hope an after shocks isnt bad enough to trigger another tsunami......best of luck to those in the area...hearts & thoughts go out to those suffering.....

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Whew - glad no tsunami. When I saw people being so calm (many looking at their cell phones) I wanted to be able to say "at least climb some stairs". I do think its important to stay calm but you also need to be moving when something like that is potentially on its way.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by stormcell

Actually, two eclipses in April. So, possibly, we could be seeing more if there is a link.

Perhaps concluding the second half of Putermans' prediction.

edit on 1-4-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
That was very shallow for 8.0 quake, only 33 km deep. Scary thing is that it was felt over 1500 km away from epicenter! And there was 6.2 aftershock and so many around 5.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
While it might not be a mega thrust event, I hope everyone who scoffed at True American the past couple of weeks is able to swallow their pride and give credit where credit is due. Like with the big Santa Cruz quake, he saw a foreshock pattern in Chile, and called it.

I'm just waking up, so I'm going to go busy myself with reading news articles and Earthquake-Reports (middle of the night, I should be going back to bed, but...big event & all)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Oh my god. I've had bad anxiety all day like something was wrong or something bad was going to happen. I get home from school at 10pm and see the news... My mom and sister are on vacation in Hawaii! I couldn't afford to go. Well now I'm officially worried

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Honestly...how can you feel anxiety from an event thousands of miles away from you. It doesn't make any sense. And not to be mean or anything, but the video with the sirens in the background is not scary at all. Especially after you have an idea that the video was posted three times in this thread with everyone saying how scary it is.

To the actual quake, lucky it was that far out in the Ocean because it could of been far worse.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

And?

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Or do you fail to see the pattern that gets repeated over and over and over.

DRILL FOR AN "ACT OF GOD"

"ACT OF GOD" HAPPENS

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The devastation being predicted in Hollywood movies as of late, are hinting toward a massive earthquake striking the SF/LA area. They are currently test running earthquakes off land before they take their toy and set it off in a crowded city. The results will be disastrous. Chaos will ensue. Anarchy will spread. Illuminati will have total control.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Asherz189

Don't worry, they will be fine.
www.hawaiinewsnow.com...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join