It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: 8.0 Earthquake strikes off Northern Coast of Chile; Tsunami Warning Issues

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Dang! It started out mild and then it got real! That was so violent. I wouldn't have stood under those swinging lights though.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Was just about to post that video, that looks d*mn scary.

Been trying to grab a CNN livestream of the net, so much they are only showing the weather on edition.cnn.com...

If anybody has a CNN livestream, BBC, or anything pls post it.

I hope people are safe.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Photo gallery chilean EVAC :

www.emol.com...

Live TV from Chile here :

www.latercera.com...
edit on 1-4-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

No it doesn't.
Rainbows
Jane

link   
I couldn't even imagine dealing with that situation at nighttime. You are sitting in your place, windows open, beautiful night and then a massive EQ goes off, followed by a crazy siren telling you to evacuate for possible tsunami coming in, and now you need to get away from the coast in nighttime while all the roads are jammed.... Unbelievable stuff

link   

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

At least 4 aftershocks reported by Chilean agency after major earthquake in Pacific - @SISMOGUC

According to Global Incident map, they range from 5.0 to 6.2 - big in their own right.

Tsunami watch expanded -

Tsunami watch expanded to include Nicaragua, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama and Columbia following earthquake off Chile - @NWS_PTWC

edit on 1-4-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by coolism

Thanks to member "heartache"
sky

news.sky.com...

edit on 4/1/2014 by Neysa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
When ever there is a swarm in one area a big quake seems to hit in another area, to bad there isn't a way to predict where.

I noticed that too. With the large magnitude 8+ quakes, when one happens, another couple will happen 120 degrees apart in longitude. It's almost as if the Earth were rebalancing the centrifugal load on its axis.

I'd guess it would be a combination of strain and combined with temperature. A warmer temperature of the mantle would make the rock softer and more flexible, while a colder temperature would make the rock brittle. I always had the theory that underground water could get involved too.

There's an theory that earthquakes happen close to an eclipse. And there is one in two weeks time:

www.latercera.com...
edit on 1-4-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

They've been told to walk...not take car

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

stormcell

Stormdancer777
When ever there is a swarm in one area a big quake seems to hit in another area, to bad there isn't a way to predict where.

With the large magnitude 8+ quakes, when one happens, another couple will happen 120 degrees apart in longitude. It's almost as if the Earth were rebalancing the centrifugal load on its axis.

I'd guess it would be a combination of strain and combined with temperature. A warmer temperature of the mantle would make the rock softer and more flexible, while a colder temperature would make the rock brittle. I always had the theory that underground water could get involved too.

ty, cell

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Makes total sense...if everyone is panicking it will cause a traffic jam...happened here in ATL during the snow. People walked several miles in the snow and ice while others were simply stranded in their cars, stuck in traffic for hours on end.

They will get further on foot most likely. But they better get to a higher elevation too.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Probably why Puterman has predicted one in Vanuatu after this one

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
[snip]

Wasn't trying to be crass... I'm amazed by the cafe patrons calmness, I generally am calm in crisis but I feel like if I got shook around like that I would absolutely panic.
edit on 1-4-2014 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Yes, besides the landslides blocking some of the outward bound roads......first tsunami has hit a small fishing village...no reports as such yet.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

Thanks, needed silverlight right away to watch it, ugh..
would be more useful for them to make them html5 video streams, native browser support on the fly. I was actually suprised that in this day and age , i couldn't directly find a direct stream.

If anybody is interested for time and weather in Chile right now: www.timeanddate.com...

It's also strange that the quake came after the Solar flare that hit this week, that caused radio blackout:
news.discovery.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

coolism
reply to post by Trueman

Was just about to post that video, that looks d*mn scary.

Been trying to grab a CNN livestream of the net, so much they are only showing the weather on edition.cnn.com...

If anybody has a CNN livestream, BBC, or anything pls post it.

I hope people are safe.

I was about to go sleep when I knew about it. I have many, many friends in that area. Now I just want to know if all them are safe. Frustrating.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join