It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: 8.0 Earthquake strikes off Northern Coast of Chile; Tsunami Warning Issues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
BBC have some footage of quake.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Just four years after the massive 8.8 quake and tsunami that caused more than 500 deaths and huge damage to the Chilean economy: en.wikipedia.org...

The country has a long history of dreadful seismic events.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
David Ingles ‏@DavidInglesTV 1m
BREAKING: CHILE EMERGENCY SERVICE CONFIRMS TSUNAMI REACHEST COAST. #earthquake #chile

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Will immediately try to contact my friend (S) right in the Chile-Peru border. Will feed thread if need.

EDIT :

From "El Comercio" (Peru) :

A powerful earthquake of 8 degrees on the Richter scale shook northern Chile, and large parts of southern Peru and Bolivia. The National Emergency Office (Onemi) requested the South American country's population preemptively evacuate the coastal edge of the Arica and Parinacota and Tarapacá pa to possible arrival of a tsunami.

The quake struck at 8:46 pm (Peruvian time 6:46) and was centered at sea, 85 km southwest of Whose. The depth was estimated at 44 km. U.S. USGS placed the magnitude at 8 degrees.

Tsunami Alert covers costs ranging from Chile to Costa Rica.

Waves of 1.8 meters in height and have reached the shores of Pisagua, according to the National Tsunami Warning System (SNAM).

The agency added that the wave of the tsunami could reach around 21:03 Iquique to Arica at 21:12, at 21:14 Tocopilla and Antofagasta at 21:15.

I know the area very well, Tsunami would be devastating.

elcomercio.pe...
edit on 1-4-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigburgh

Dumb question I am sure but, does anyone remember the height of the "waves" then? Is this similar...smaller? I will look but, thought this would be quicker...

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It's astounding to me that CNN is still running with the Malaysian Airlines thing primarily and only cutting in for coverage of the Chile quake. WTH!?
The sheer number of people definitely impacted by this quake has got to trump a missing plane they know nothing about...

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

TNMockingbird

Dumb question I am sure but, does anyone remember the height of the "waves" then? Is this similar...smaller? I will look but, thought this would be quicker...

Yes the wave reaching from Singapore quake was 6-9 feet with 1/2 or more miles of water behind it.
May not be tall. But its what it's bringing behind IT!
edit on 1-4-2014 by Bigburgh because: wave hieght

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Chile authorities have said everyone on coastal areas are to move to safer ground. No fatalities reported as yet thank goodness.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure 8M is huge. I'm looking forward to hear TrueAmerican and westcoast weigh in on this. This is not cool.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I was just gonna post that.
Yes, TrueAmerican has been watching the quakes from that area and predicting that all of the quakes so far were precursors to this quake. Or even a bigger one.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

TNMockingbird

Waves from 30-40 feet high hit Indonesia and Thailand in the 2004 quake/tsunami. The ones reported in this one seem to be about 6 feet. However, it is too early to know if Larger waves have hit elsewhere. We shall have to wait and see.

Even though 6 feet is small compared to 2004, it can still do considerable damage on the immediate coast, and inland for a bit.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

dfens
I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure 8M is huge. I'm looking forward to hear TrueAmerican and westcoast weigh in on this. This is not cool.

Yes. 8.0 is HUGE. That was about the strength of the Alaskan quake of 64.

For a comparison, the Loma Prieta quake that did all that damage in the Bay Area in 89' was a 7.0.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Fisherr
This is not good..
I hope people stay safe..

Could this have anything to do with the sun x-class solar flare?

I was just thinking about that

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
CNN reports 8.2 in strength 62 miles off the coast, northern Chile, Peru affected
edit on 1-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This is just terrible. In sky news (the only news channel I have available to me at the moment) they were saying the wave height is about 6' +/-.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Dare I ask, how much more can Mother Nature deliver?

Geesh...unbelievable 😢

link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Puterman nailed it here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Rainbows
Jane

link   

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

TNMockingbird

Waves from 30-40 feet high hit Indonesia and Thailand in the 2004 quake/tsunami. The ones reported in this one seem to be about 6 feet. However, it is too early to know if Larger waves have hit elsewhere. We shall have to wait and see.

Even though 6 feet is small compared to 2004, it can still do considerable damage on the immediate coast, and inland for a bit.

30- 40 foot high wave...really...didn't appear like that on all the personal vacation videos. And wiki states 7-9...with 1/2 mile and in some cases more of water force behind it.
Hmm....wow...my bad

Thanks for clarifying that.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Tsunami does not seem like an exact science. 6-9 feet might be all it takes to inundate the coastal areas. I just hope this isn't a precursor towards instability in the earths crust elsewhere. We still honestly don't know how the earth reacts. Like I said, 8M, under the new scale, is one of the most powerful EQs the world has experienced. Hopefully some pressure is relieved and the damage is at a minimum.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

dfens

Yes. 8.0 is HUGE. That was about the strength of the Alaskan quake of 64.

For a comparison, the Loma Prieta quake that did all that damage in the Bay Area in 89' was a 7.0.

The only saving grace they may have is the fact that it was 62 miles off the coastline.

I sure hope nothing more comes of this.

I'm just sad...just sad...smh in disbelief.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join