It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City too corrupt for Florida is spared

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Source

The town dubbed " too Florida, even for Florida" by late night comedians is getting a reprieve.

Florida lawmakers decide to spare city caught in corruption scandal Hampton,population 477,faced losing ability to govern itself Audit found mismanagement,nepotism, other irregularities City officials resigned,set elections and vowed other reforms Hampton,Florida (CNN) -- This worn-down,one stoplight town found redemption Friday night in a Baptist church named Victory

as having been in a small town politics myself I can tell you these people will do anything to hold on to their little piece of the scam.
Some of these elected officials have pension and healthcare for life after 2 or 3 terms.
Good on them! Kick the bums out!
edit on 30-3-2014 by dashen because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2014 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

With a population of 477 I guess it's not surprising but it becomes more evident because it's such a small community. I would think if you had the flu half the population would know in a day or two..

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

So let me see if I understand:

1. Massive corruption ... bordering total.
2. The state threatens to make the town go away.
3. Everybody in the local town's employ voluntarily abdicates their positions.
4. The state lets their action slide.
5. The parties responsible for the corruption are not charged with anything.

Sound about right? Sounds like Florida.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The mayor is in jail on drug charges, the police department was fired outright. The state took away their speedtrap and somebody managed to fix their cooked books. Sounds like my town in upstate ny

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Indeed, and this is the natural order when it it comes to governance. How the macroscopic version of this (state and federal) is somehow thought to be immune to this tendency is the flawed logic we must dispel.

Great catch!

edit on 30-3-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

With all the political corruption lately, it just goes to show you people in power are just like a fox guarding the hen house. They have absolutely no oversight. If every city and town had a watch dog group made up of citizens whose sole responsibility was to audit and check for any illegal or corrupt dealings, elected officials would think twice before doing anything illegal.

Citizens who make up this watch dog group could be paid by having them have tax exempt property taxes. It could be made up of retired citizens. Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Amazing, they can continue.
So get some friends together, incorporate a city, set up what ever scams; speed traps, drugs, vice gambling and the state will say it's just fine...
Residual income for life, anyone want to send out emails and schedule seminars, oh wait, we already have political parties.
And civil servants ?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by dashen

So let me see if I understand:

1. Massive corruption ... bordering total.
2. The state threatens to make the town go away.
3. Everybody in the local town's employ voluntarily abdicates their positions.
4. The state lets their action slide.
5. The parties responsible for the corruption are not charged with anything.

Sound about right? Sounds like Florida.

You missed the one ingredient that makes a community uniquely "Florida". Where's the entry about the prison-industrial complex?

If this tiny rat-hole was not feasting at the detention-facility trough -- then it's just another garden-variety corruption pigsty.

new topics

top topics

join