It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things are shaking up here in LA county

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MrLimpet

My mom (in NYC) called me around 8:30am Pacific time... to tell me my late brother's dog passed away 'minutes after midnight'

Minutes after midnight their time, would be minutes after 9:00pm my time here in LA.. which means my late brother's dog passed away MINUTES before the quake hit here. Whatta coincidence!

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
My 2 cents...

I live in Redondo Beach, directly on the beach, which is not far from La Habra/Brea, but far enough that I didn’t feel the full impact. It was enough, though, to rattle the nerves a little. When you’ve lived here long enough, you learn to expect a shake from time to time, so unless it’s a pretty good one you pretty much just take it in stride.

That being said, you still can’t help but wonder if maybe it was just a foreshock, and that a really big one is on the way. Southern California is way overdue for a BIG one. It could happen at any time. So, if you live here you have to kind of mentally prepare yourself for when it hits. I’ve been through a number of good shakers, and it really can be frightening when it’s happening. It’s like you’re completely out of control of what’s happening and totally at the mercy of nature. It’s no fun.

Something about this quake struck me. USGS reported it as a blind thrust fault type. Possibly associated with the Puente Hills thrust fault. Earthquakes along this fault could produce shakes in the 6.5 - 7.0 range magnitude. This fault runs directly under downtown LA. I’ve read before that this fault could pose a grave danger to areas in and around the downtown area. Even more so than a rupture along the San Andreas.

Even so, I still choose to live in the LA South Bay. I’ve been through tornadoes, earthquakes and one hurricane, and I’ll take earthquakes any day. The way I look at it, you can run but you can’t hide. It seems no matter where you live there’s always something. Life’s just a crap shoot.

Let the good times roll...

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Rezlooper

BASSPLYR
reply to post by abecedarian

That's what I'm getting at. This doesn't seem like a " normal" quake.

That's cause you guys in Cali ain't used to frack quakes....welcome to the world of FRACKING!

They're in for quite a welcome to the downsides, if this is related. Whoever approved fracking within seismic zones ought to be in prison. Simple as that. I hate fracking, period. Some places for it should be obvious beyond any need to explain for...BAD idea.

I really wonder what it's going to take for people to realize just how bad this business of Fracking is. I mean, literally hundreds of quakes in Oklahoma every month so far this year, and they act like they have no idea what's going on. Well, scientists have come out and said it's pretty much a no brainer what's causing it, but then there's the oil and gas industry still claiming there's no way the quakes are related. And now like you said, they are doing them near these fault lines. What it's going to take...a major catastrophe?

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Sorry, I was not aware of any other information like the info you posted.

Hopefully everyone stays safe

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
hey. I'm here from oz, I hope you guys over there are okay.

this probably won't be a popular post and not trying to scare anyone, but I have read that stuff about Joe Brandt's dream, and it
worries me...

I usually don't like prophecy threads etc, (and I rarely post on this forum anymore), but who knows?

what worries me is the one he saw he said felt like 'nothing'...it didn't feel like the 'big one' had finally come....
the other thing that worries me, is he says he saw women in short skirts, and tiny bubble sized half cars... (this seems to place the time it occurs current with our generation maybe - what with the small cars perhaps? if what he saw was real, and who knows, maybe it wasn't.)
Also he said it was early springtime....

I'm not trying to scare anyone, and I'm not saying this would ever happen,
but I would move if I could, somewhere less earthquake prone - for a while?.

all these quakes you guys are getting could be the prelude to something.... hopefully not, but I wouldn't be living there right now if I could help it, and I'd have an exit plan, so that I could move quickly to high ground, without going on the major freeways.

Also, please... watch the animals. If the birds go, if it's too QUIET (in the dream he mentioned it was way too quiet. no birds); if there's a sulphur smell (he mentions that also. I know there's already been smells like that around LA in recent times.), then these aren't good signs...the animals will know long before we do. cats also know. if they go or start acting really strange, you should also go, as fast as you can.

Better to feel stupid later if nothing happens than to get caught in a big quake. Better to be safe than sorry, esp if you have kids.

(if I didn't care about you guys I wouldn't post this, but before I get flamed, just remember, this IS a conspiracy theory site after all. Referring to the other poster who got attacked for talking about a prophecy on this thread. And who knows maybe something I post could save someone's life, then it would be worth it. )

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Well, scientists have come out and said it's pretty much a no brainer what's causing it, but then there's the oil and gas industry still claiming there's no way the quakes are related. And now like you said, they are doing them near these fault lines. What it's going to take...a major catastrophe?

I'm following a couple cases for updates in Arkansas and elsewhere, where not everyone has settled in suits related to frack-quakes. It's working it's way into getting it's day in court in a definitive case. We wouldn't still be having this debate if one had come in that definitive way yet, but it's working that way, IMO.

(crosses paws) ... they are moving closer to the NMZ, too. (shiver)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
With a 4.1 occurring, that brings the mag differential to only 1.0. That's borderline, and imo raises the possibilities that the 5.1 and now 4.1 could be foreshocks- although I've read the scientists don't really think so. They'd swear after dying in a 7+ that there is only a 5% chance that any individual quake is a foreshock. That may be true, but this has now changed.

There was 3.6 foreshock to the 5.1, and all looked normal till today. The quakes were maintaining their distance in magnitude. That 4.1 though imo changes the situation- and it's on the other side of the EFZ. Notice as well another small quake virtually right on the EFZ.

I'd be careful out there. Let's hope it dies down, but it might not. Trigger trigger, something bigger.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

TrueAmerican
5.1 and now 4.1 could be foreshocks

www.usatoday.com...

More than 100 aftershocks rattle Calif. after strong quake

I don't know if I'll sleep soundly tonight knowing that 100+ aftershocks already occured or if the quake SWARM isn't even over yet let alone the afershocks

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by netbound

Guess what just occurred to me? We just barely passed the 20 year mark since Northridge!

January 17, 1994, 6.7 😱 23 years before that in 1971, was the San Fernando Quake which was a 6.6. Check out these dates...Here's a quick list of California Quakes:

Cali Quake List - Wiki
edit on 3/30/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
oh and i'm in a market for a bigger abode here in LA, so it would be a cool in the way if prices drop alitle for me right now as spring picks up,

since i'm looking at beverly hills vicinity.. maybe pacific palisades area cuz i get the front row seat ocean view of any future tsunami

somehow i feel us socalifornians just dont care - that we're sitting on disaster waiting to happen - enuf to actually move out. life isn't that long anyways even in best case scenario.. meh, whats 30yo vs 50 vs 70 etc?!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Did anyone just feel that new quake at 1:51am EST? The KCAL's seismograph went crazy high for a few moments.. largest spike on the roll so far.. and dark.

(Update: was a 3.3) wow.. 106 total quakes.. most tiny, but this means large mass movement... hope it calms down..
edit on 3/30/2014 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

gardener
oh and i'm in a market for a bigger abode here in LA, so it would be a cool in the way if prices drop alitle for me right now as spring picks up,

since i'm looking at beverly hills vicinity.. maybe pacific palisades area cuz i get the front row seat ocean view of any future tsunami

somehow i feel us socalifornians just dont care - that we're sitting on disaster waiting to happen - enuf to actually move out. life isn't that long anyways even in best case scenario.. meh, whats 30yo vs 50 vs 70 etc?!

Very true! Just looking at stats, you're more likely to die in a car crash than a quake.. even in SoCal.. so enjoy life, the weather, and the VIEW!
Just be prepared a bit, and relax. If death comes, its gonna get ya some how anyway..

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Some articles in the Los Angeles Times:
www.latimes.com...

An eq prototype early-warning system worked:
www.latimes.com...

One in there about a Hollywood Fault too!
graphics.latimes.com...
The eastern end of the fault almost goes to Forest Lawn Memorial Park! Eeeew!!!

WOQ
edit on 30-3-2014 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

@#$%&! computer gremlins!
edit on 30-3-2014 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Has anyone drawn a graph of depths and locations? It would be interesting to see where most eqs in this series are and which way it is moving. I used to do this kind of thing but my database has collapsed so I cannot do it now. Someone else must do this kind of thing surely?

Also look at the recent history Sunset Peak area is here

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

I live on the east coast, so when we get a 2.3, we talk about it for days! I have never felt anything like a 5.4, especially one so shallow.

I certainly hope it doesn't lead to more quakes, and definitely hope it doesn't lead to any volcanic activity. There's a lot of volcanoes out there on the west coast and inland a bit. If things get too shaky out there, I hope you have a place to go, and the resources to go, for a few days.

Stay safe! My thoughts are with all of you west coast ATS'ers.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

further to my post above, thought I better link to the Joe Brandt prophecy I was talking about in case people haven't heard of it before. For your info: link to youtube video about dream

again, not trying to scare anyone, and if you're in the middle of a quake it's probably best not to view the video until afterwards when you're feeling more relaxed etc...

(basically posting because I would want to know about it if I lived in cali and hadn't heard it before.)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
There is still so much shaking...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Some crazy stuff is going on in Cali but seems to be affecting my neck of the woods too. Have any of you checked out the rumblings going on in Yellowstone the past few hours! It is going crazy! I hope this ride doesn't get any worse!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by restlessinMT

I hadn't looked yet, but I was just wondering that myself. If California is shaking all over and in a burst ..that may be very good, actually. Stress relieved and geology finding new balance. ....but what about the surrounding regions where shifting isn't releasing anything but could be building? This is one to watch and see if it peters out.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

qmantoo
Has anyone drawn a graph of depths and locations? It would be interesting to see where most eqs in this series are and which way it is moving. I used to do this kind of thing but my database has collapsed so I cannot do it now. Someone else must do this kind of thing surely?

Also look at the recent history Sunset Peak area is here

Hey qmantoo!
Yeah, I drew a graph of depths and locations... A real work of art. But, as usual, my dog ate it.
What kind of database do you use? (In other words - what do you mean by "collapsed"?)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join