It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

King Vlad to invade Estonia next?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Moscow signals concern for Russians in Estonia

GENEVA (Reuters) - Russia signaled concern on Wednesday at Estonia's treatment of its large ethnic Russian minority, comparing language policy in the Baltic state with what it said was a call in Ukraine to prevent the use of Russian.

Russia has defended its annexation of Ukraine's Crimea peninsula by arguing it has the right to protect Russian-speakers outside its borders, so the reference to linguistic tensions in another former Soviet republic comes at a highly sensitive moment.

Russia fully supported the protection of the rights of linguistic minorities, a Moscow diplomat told the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva, according to a summary of the session issued by the U.N.'s information department. "Language should not be used to segregate and isolate groups," the diplomat was reported as saying. Russia was "concerned by steps taken in this regard in Estonia as well as in Ukraine," the Moscow envoy was said to have added.

The text of the Russian remarks, echoing long-standing complaints over Estonia's insistence that the large Russian minority in the east of the country should be able to speak Estonian, was not immediately available.

But amid the growing Crimea crisis, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania - which like Ukraine were all parts of the old Soviet Union - have expressed growing apprehension over Moscow's intentions.

U.S. Vice President Joe Biden is currently in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius as part of a trip to reassure the three countries, all European Union and NATO members, of Washington's support.

Ukraine told the rights council that U.N. experts had found no credible evidence of mistreatment of its Russian minority as alleged by Moscow -- one of whose pro-Kremlin newspapers said this week there was "bloodshed almost like in Syria" in the east of the country.

The new government in Kiev, a Ukrainian envoy declared, was reinvigorating its promotion and protection of the rights of minorities "to the highest international standards".

The envoy asked what measures could be taken to protect Ukrainian, Crimean Tatar and other minority groups in Crimea "whose rights are being violated under the Russian occupation."

Responding, the Russian delegate said there were no violations of minority rights in Crimea and minorities were not being persecuted. The new Russian-backed government there had guaranteed protection of the Tatars.
The current events taking place between Russia and the rest of the world have striking similarities to World War 2. Vladimir Putin clearly wants to carry on his land grabbing as well as invading countries on the basis of shabby pretext. Good luck Estonia! Who's next after Estonia? Latvia?
edit on 19-3-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Sheesh and just when I thought Moldova was next -

Moldova fears separatists want to join Russia

It's anyone's guess. I don't think people understand that this is not just about Crimea. Things could quite possibly get out of hand if the rest of the world keeps playing patty cake.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
We Must Bring DEMOCRACY to Estonia to free the deprived Russian people !!!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

I would take Russian democracy anytime over American...Oh, wait, too late. Americans already bombed us. Oh well.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Looks like common sense and hyperbole and attempts to evilify Russia even more.

Russia made it very clear they are not going to move further.

Estonia is both a member of the EU AND NATO.

Who and why do you think members of the EU and NATO are making these silly anouncements, because they are told to by the EU and NATO, to help legitimise their case against Russia.

Grow some common sense people.

Please, people need to reel their hyperbole and dramatising in.

edit on 19-3-2014 by bubab because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

maddy21

Maybe those deprived Russians should take their happy asses back to Russia .

edit on 19-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You do know. Russia has no monarchy right? So why do you claim there is a King of Russia?

en.wikipedia.org...

I don't see Putin's name on the list of Monarchs of Russia.

Please stop spreading fud.

If you want a topic to be taken seriously, stick to facts please otherwise people will just slap you silly with facts, which you will immediately cry foul.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

SLAYER69

maddy21

Maybe those deprived Russians should take their happy asses back to Russia .

I wish those Yanks would take their democratic asses back to America and leave MY country.

Works both ways.

America has more "presence" around the world than any other country on Earth.

Pot meet the kettle.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I might be easy to be confused with the piece .I notice they give no links to there statements .They seem to be trying to squeeze some sort of a narrative that fits the last round of propaganda the west has been spilling for the past week .Even the headline on this thread is suggestive to what we have witnessed so far and doesn't really match the reality ....Oh well carry on ...time will play out one way or another and will have it's outcomes ....

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorT

I live in Estonia and to be honest, this newspiece makes me a bit worried about future. Although it has to be considered that Estonia is a member of EU as well as NATO, which makes it an incredibly risky target, so I highly doubt something similar to Ukraine is going to happen.

I do not say the Russian population is small one, there are a lot here since the country was occupied by Russians after WWII and as part of the Soviet integration process (russianisation) many were "shipped in". Roughly 25% out of whom majority is populating in the Eastern part or certain districts in the capital - large apartment building in the outskirts of the city built during the occupation period.

Linguistically Estonian is very different from Russian one, being very similar to Finnish. Schools (russian ones) as well as universities provide education in Russian. In schools (russian-ones) until the high-school (then certain subjects are in Estonian, although the local Russian student union wants it to go from mid-school. In universities, core subjects are also available in Russian. Generally Estonian-Russian youth are very open to learning the local language as well, as after all this is the official language. Most companies expect their employees to be bi-lingual, whether Estonians or Russians.

Although saying as if local russians are discriminated is pure bulls*it.

edit on 19-3-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Whats wrong with Bringing Democracy to Estonia ? or did you Automatically think B-52 bombers when i said Democracy ?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Yeah, Russia is going to take on NATO, that will end well, you honestly think Putin is STUPID? Last time Russia tried to invade Finland they got their asses handed to them.

Putin is not going to attack NATO or the EU, he will stop NATO moving towards him yes, that is why Ukraine is in the mess it is, NATO Expansion.

My country is not in NATO, we don't give a frack about NATO, we are neutral, we are in Europe, we don't fear Russia.

What and who we DO fear, is America, their rendition flights and the risk they bring to our neutrality.

America does NOT respect our neutrality, they flew rendition CIA flights in our airspace and landed. America has NO respect for laws. That is a fact. If they did, they would have not used our airspace for illegal activities. Honestly Yanks don't give a frack about us here, except when it suits THEM and honestly, I don't give a frack about them, as long as they stay the HELL away from my country.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Thank you ..It's good to here from people on the ground .The BS part of the artical could be a fabrication of the MSM propaganda .I looked for links in the source but didn't find any .....tks peace

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Estonia is democratic... Far more than Russia.

Of course, things are not perfect, but it has to be considered that the country had to start from zero after the collapse of USSR in 1991. Compared to other post-Soviet republic the nation is doing very well (one of the best if not the best) and has become into of the most technologically advanced nations in the world.

Generally life here is not bad, far better than it would be in Russia.
edit on 19-3-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Cabin
reply to post by maddy21

Estonia is democratic... Far more than Russia.

Of course, things are not perfect, but it has to be considered that the country had to start from zero after the collapse of USSR in 1991. Compared to other post-Soviet republic the nation is doing very well (one of the best if not the best) and has become into of the most technologically advanced nations in the world.

And what did you do with the money the EU and NATO sent you when you joined?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

What would you make of the phone conversation that was put on the web over the sniper incident in Ukraine ? Can you add anything from your local news sources you can share with us here ? tks peace

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by Cabin

What would you make of the phone conversation that was put on the web over the sniper incident in Ukraine ? Can you add anything from your local news sources you can share with us here ? tks peace

www.kidon.com...

Run that through google translate.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bubab

I can certainly understand your hatred of America, but the U.S. is nothing more than a tentacle of the British Empire. They conquered us through the banking and financial systems long ago, and now we're being used as the NWO's police force. Most Americans, even though they are totally clueless about what's going on, don't want to be fighting around the world, which is why you saw the American people stop the NWO from using the U.S. military in Syria after the chemical weapons false flag. People need to wake up and realize this isn't a U.S. government, it has been hijacked by the globalists.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

bubab
reply to post by Cabin

Yeah, Russia is going to take on NATO, that will end well, you honestly think Putin is STUPID? Last time Russia tried to invade Finland they got their asses handed to them.

Putin is not going to attack NATO or the EU, he will stop NATO moving towards him yes, that is why Ukraine is in the mess it is, NATO Expansion.

My country is not in NATO, we don't give a frack about NATO, we are neutral, we are in Europe, we don't fear Russia.

What and who we DO fear, is America, their rendition flights and the risk they bring to our neutrality.

America does NOT respect our neutrality, they flew rendition CIA flights in our airspace and landed. America has NO respect for laws. That is a fact. If they did, they would have not used our airspace for illegal activities. Honestly Yanks don't give a frack about us here, except when it suits THEM and honestly, I don't give a frack about them, as long as they stay the HELL away from my country.

Granted Russia will target non NATO nations to start with. Places like Ukraine and Finland who though they could be sort of pro NATO but, not join hoping that would protect them are learning that being a quarter in is not the same as an attack on one is and attack on all. With what has happened in Crimea I would not be suprised to see NATO fast track some waiting members, Bosnia, Montenegro, Georgia, and Macedonia. And along with that I would suprised to Finland and Sweden also become full members before Russia decides to grab a few things from them.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

MrSpad

bubab
reply to post by Cabin

Granted Russia will target non NATO nations to start with. Places like Ukraine and Finland who though they could be sort of pro NATO but, not join hoping that would protect them are learning that being a quarter in is not the same as an attack on one is and attack on all. With what has happened in Crimea I would not be suprised to see NATO fast track some waiting members, Bosnia, Montenegro, Georgia, and Macedonia. And along with that I would suprised to Finland and Sweden also become full members before Russia decides to grab a few things from them.

Hello, we don't fear him here, you may wish to live your life of hyperbole and drama but we live in reality here and we are NOT in NATO and IN the EU, why on earth would we fear Russia?

We fear America more. No joke.

You see this is exactly the problem, NATO expansionism.

We will never join NATO, the second we do, our asses are kissed goodbye along with our neutrality status.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join