It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army Vet cuts down Mexican Flag flying over American Flag

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

No, my ancestor arrived in the new world as colonists, not immigrants. There was no US for anyone to immigrate to at that time. They were Dutch, not British.

There is a significant difference.

Oh yeah, did you know that most of those Buddhist monks were mercenaries, soldiers of fortune. Pay more attention the next time you watch "Hidden Dragon Crouching Tiger."
edit on 9-3-2014 by poet1b because: add last line.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

poet1b
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Words you actually said/posted.

This country was built on the backs of slaves and cheap immigrant labor

Perhaps your own bigotry is so ingrained that you can't see it.

I don't see any credit there for the original pioneers and the people who actually founded the US.

Perhaps. Or:

The people who founded the US are the original citizens of the country, the USA. Before that point there was no USA. Everyone who was here at that time and chose to be loyal to the US, could be a part of the country. They were not immigrants, they were the founders.

Is founding something the same as building it?

Slavery had been practiced in British North America from early colonial days, and was recognized in the Thirteen Colonies at the time of the United States' Declaration of Independence in 1776.

And then:

It seems all too many people do not want to give credit to the people who founded the US, and want to give it all to the immigrants, who only came here after the pioneers created this nation.

Credit where credit is due Poet - 1b

I never said the founders didn't do nothin', now did I?

But, what I did say is true

:-)

edit on 3/9/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: a little bit of OCDness

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

poet1b

No, my ancestor arrived in the new world as colonists, not immigrants. There was no US for anyone to immigrate to at that time. They were Dutch, not British.

There is a difference yes.
It was the British Colonies that where the foundation of The US.
Remember those 13 stripes on your flag

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

alldaylong asked why six of our states are called New England - you asked for a source - then dissed the source

I just posted a 2nd source - nothing has been lost on any of us

Relax - you're the only person on this board (possibly) who can still get 4 stars (probably more by now) for being wrong

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Credit where credit is due Poet - 1b

I never said the founders didn't do nothin', now did I?

But, what I did say is true

Yes, you claimed that the US was built by immigrants and slaves, which is not true.

Just because the US imported slaves, and some people in the US owned slaves, doesn't mean that the country was built by immigrants and slaves. Most people never owned slaves, and in the northern colonies slaves were mainly used for working in the houses in the cities for the wealthy.

Not once have you given any recognition to the people who founded the US, always all the credit to the immigrants and or the slaves.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

poet1b
Not once have you given any recognition to the people who founded the US, always all the credit to the immigrants and or the slaves.

I dunno

They leave out a large % of us Americans who are both of Native and Europeans Descent

I'm tan not brown though so maybe that's the stumbling block for some.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

poet1b

Oh yeah, did you know that most of those Buddhist monks were mercenaries, soldiers of fortune. Pay more attention the next time you watch "Hidden Dragon Crouching Tiger."

You immigrated to another country, just because it was not the USA then, does not mean that you didn't immigrate to the country known as America. If I found an island with inhabitants on it, then killed the inhabitants and made it my own country, I would not consider myself a native of that land.

Of course, most of China has been Buddhist since feudal times, there were many Buddhist warriors... What's your point? Buddhist philosophy still teaches Oneness, we are one, no one is higher than any other living thing. Why do warrior Buddhists disprove that?

Also they are Mahayana Buddhist, my order has no blood on it's hands and has never had a warrior in our ranks (unless they were once soldiers).

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Wow, you really are nursing a resent for a war over 200 years ago.

Still not willing to admit that the US won its dependence, and went on to become the richest country in the world.

Admit that the colonies forged a nation where everyone wants to immigrate.

im·mi·grate
ˈimiˌgrāt/Submit
verb
come to live permanently in a foreign country.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I do love New England Clam Chowder though

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

You seem to want some kind of special points awarded to the founders, who were not special

What I have said - several times (not that you care to notice) is that this country was built by all of us - from the beginning, up to now - and is still a work in progress

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

poet1b

Still not willing to admit that the US won its dependence, and went on to become the richest country in the world.

Admit that the colonies forged a nation where everyone wants to immigrate.

Where did you get that from? Why do we care about something an empire that died over 100 years a go did or didn't win? The Empire sucked.

How do we not admit you won? It's quite obvious you are still the united states of america?

Trust me when I say we get more immigrants lol

poet1b
im·mi·grate
ˈimiˌgrāt/Submit
verb
come to live permanently in a foreign country.

Thank you for proving my point that you are an immigrant. Your Dutch family moved to a foriegn country then lived there permanently.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

SLAYER69

I do love New England Clam Chowder though

Finally -

Me too

link   

My ancestors joined a colony, they did not immigrate to a country.

Eventually they helped found a country.

There is a very significant difference.

link   
reply to post by poet1b

Here

Try this one on them...

pil·grim noun \ˈpil-grəm\

Pilgrim : one of the people who traveled by boat from England and created the first permanent settlement in New England at Plymouth in 1620

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

poet1b

Am i? What is your foundation for that belief.

As for the rest of your post it lost me completely.

Let me ask you two questions.

1) If the 13 colonies had not been founded, do you believe there would be a US today?

2) What language do you speak? The clue to the foundation of The US is in the name of the language.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I would like to just see some recognition given to the people who founded the US.

Something which you seem to not be willing to recognize.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

And I think there are a lot more of us than they want to consider.

For me the tale tale sign is very little body hair. A lot of almond eyes where I grew up.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

poet1b

I would like to just see some recognition given to the people who founded the US.

Something which you seem to not be willing to recognize.

Oh, I recognize it - I've been recognizing it for the past few posts

You just want me to extra-recognize it - and I won't

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

If immigrants of old came to this country looking for a new identity please explain why pretty much every major city in the country has at least a Little Italy and a Chinatown.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

An Englishman who may interest you:-

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join