It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Important Question for ALL atheists...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

IF INDEED, YOU DO SUCCEED, in your quest to prove that GOD DOES NOT EXIST, how do you plan to convince, the unconvinced, that YOU REALLY WERE LOOKING IN THE RIGHT PLACE??? Or, have you thought that far ahead? What if you fail to convince them, WHAT THEN... ???

I am on no such "quest." Worst trolling ever.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
reply to post by Useurbrain

Um. erm.
Are you talking to me?

... because, well, I thought I made it pretty clear that I'm an Atheist and that it wouldn't matter to me even if someone were to produce a thousand gods.

I wouldn't care, except from curiosity, and would be happy to throw one on a table and dissect it.

I'd even go a little further.
Do gods taste like chicken?

The Christian one tastes like wafers and wine. Or at least his son does

Not bad if you're hungover tho, hang around mass

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

BenReclused
PS:
And, please stop trying to convince me that I'm not, what I am.

But if we could prove that you are not what you are, would you believe it?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   

MrInquisitive
You seem to be under the impression that atheists, agnostics and such spend some appreciable fraction of their time looking for evidence of the non-existence of "god", and that they also spend their time attempting to convince persons of faith that there is no "god".

We do, don't we?

I also, in my spare time, like to prove that 1 + 1 = 3, and when I find evidence of this I will be able to prove maths entirely wrong.

I am still trying to make my own maths, so this is a worthy endeavour.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sn0rch

I didn't know we had to prove anything. I thought that in order to prove a negative you had to first be illogical.

I haven't asked anyone to prove anything, therefore, you response was illogical.

But thanks, anyway...

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Mmm...proving something does not exist is only impossible as long as you don't know what it is.

Have you decided what God is?

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

BenReclused

Mmm...proving something does not exist is only impossible as long as you don't know what it is.

Have you decided what God is?

See ya buddy,
Milt

That's what I'm trying to find out.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

IF INDEED, YOU DO SUCCEED, in your quest to prove that GOD DOES NOT EXIST

Atheist of some kind here....

I/We have no such quest, nor would I ever embark on one. I am perfectly happy to let you or any theist believe his own God, that he was brought up with in his local society.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

IF INDEED, YOU DO SUCCEED, in your quest to prove that GOD DOES NOT EXIST, how do you plan to convince, the unconvinced,

I have no reason to convince or convert the unconvinced. The people need to realize things on their own. Conversion does not work, maybe on the weak minded.

that YOU REALLY WERE LOOKING IN THE RIGHT PLACE??? Or, have you thought that far ahead?

Im not sure i understand that question, it seems like a branch of excuse after confirming god does not exist(in this scenario).
kinda like "God might not exist in earth, but have you looked in Mars."

What if you fail to convince them, WHAT THEN... ???

Do nothing, it up to them. Lay out the logical facts and leave.

Though, hidden in the shadows, and rarely heard, THERE'S a CONSPIRACY a FOOT, to shut theists up (Nope! I reckon, I'm not a poet... Hell... I KNOW IT...), and I fear, for the theists
I

There is no agenda, its pretty much unravel of a fairy drenched society. Where this being in embedded into everything we do, government, buildings, schools, and so on... too much faith in something that does not have any shred of evidence. That is what scares me.

'm sure glad that you guys like agnostics. If it weren't for that, I might be in trouble...

For an agnostic you do lean a lot to the theist side. There are no true agnostic, never that 50% in the middle types.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I don't believe it's proper to lump atheists and agnostics together.

Actually, I'm trying to separate them. I've had a number of atheists insist that they were, in addition to being atheists, also agnostic.

During my failed attempt to demonstrate the difference, instead of thinking about what I was saying, the only response, that I received, was extreme hostility.

Unfortunately, none of them seem to be able to grasp that the, ONLY, difference between us, and them, IS:
Agnostics don't concern themselves with unworthy beliefs, such as, "God doesn't exist". To an agnostic, that is, indeed, what atheists do.

In reality, atheism, and agnosticism, are contradictory terms.

As an agnostic, I feel it's best to live my life the best I can and if God is waiting for me on the other side....I accept him. If not.......it will not matter one bit.

Yep! You, and I, are kindred spirits.

Thanks for your response.

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Unfortunately, none of them seem to be able to grasp that...

Maybe its YOU with the false sense of view and specific labels, and not everyone else?

There is Agnostic, Atheist, and there are people in the middle.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

That's what I'm trying to find out.

To an old agnostic, such as myself, that would be taken as an inference that God might exist, and NOT an inference that he does exist. It seems to me, that atheism is skipping that step.

What do you THINK?

See ya buddy, (And, another star for you.)
Milt

PS:
Oh please, Lord, don't let me be misunderstood...

edit on 658America/Chicago3RAmerica/Chicago2014-03-05T08:47:50-06:00Wednesday00000050America/Chicago by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

BenReclused
in your quest to prove that GOD DOES NOT EXIST, how do you plan to convince, the unconvinced, that YOU REALLY WERE LOOKING IN THE RIGHT PLACE??? Or, have you thought that far ahead? What if you fail to convince them, WHAT THEN... ???

I'm agnostic and have no quest to prove that God doesn't exists. My quest is to seek the truth and there is not enough information to prove anything in regards to the creation of everything,life,etc. However , I enjoy speculating on the matter but at the end of the day I know the real answer is "I have no idea" and my idea is as good as the other persons.

An Atheist takes a leap of faith that God doesn't exist while a Theist takes a leap of faith that God does exist. Atheist attempt to use logic based on our reality and understanding of the world while the other goes by stories or feelings, but at the end it comes down to faith for the two.

edit on 07331America/ChicagoWed, 05 Mar 2014 09:07:30 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

To an old agnostic, such as myself, that would be taken as an inference that God might exist, and NOT an inference that he does exist. It seems to me, that atheism is skipping that step.

I'd be working with hypotheticals. "If we take this to be true, then this test will yield that result." Then you test it. Scientific method, man.

edit on 5-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Uh, hi Milt! I'm John... I'm agnostic and I don't seek to disprove the existence of God, for I do not feel the existence of God threatens me in any immediate way.

What people choose to believe is their choice, and as someone who doesn't believe, I respect their choice. For all I know, they could be wrong, or they could be right. I know Dawkins is doing everything he can to destroy christians, but I just don't see his motives, except perhaps a personal vendetta and/or prejudice. Dawkins' prejudices do not apply to all of us atheists/agnostics, many of us are quite respectful of others who do not share our opinion.

Nice thread, S&F.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, you can believe in pink unicorns if you wish, I don't care. when those that believe in pink unicorns, start to pass laws, publicly judge, and stigmatize others based on pink unicorn teachings, that's when they need to be bitch-slapped back into reality.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Actually you inferred it by addressing all atheists stating we have a quest to disprove god. So I replied in kind showing we all do not. You probably will not absorb this but Gnostic Atheists would be the ones most likely do something like that. If they do.

I suppose, that I can understand your anxiety, but, if I didn't want to answer a question, I would have... well... you know... IGNORED IT! That works, real well, for me.

Thank you, very much, for your kind consideration...

See ya buddy,
Milt
edit on 694America/Chicago3RAmerica/Chicago2014-03-05T09:40:00-06:00Wednesdayu00America/Chicago by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

BenReclused
IF INDEED, YOU DO SUCCEED, in your quest to prove that GOD DOES NOT EXIST, how do you plan to convince, the unconvinced, that YOU REALLY WERE LOOKING IN THE RIGHT PLACE???

THEISM is a belief in something. ATHEISM is a lack of that belief.

I have no interest in convincing anyone to give up their belief. Nor do I have an interest in proving that something doesn't exist. I believe what I believe, others believe what they believe. If it's not 100% in line, that's OK with me.

THERE'S a CONSPIRACY a FOOT, to shut theists up

No, there's a movement to resist religious law in our secular society. When theists use laws to enforce their beliefs in government, they may feel the resulting backlash is an attempt to shut them up, but it's just people standing up for their freedom.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic
it's just people standing up for their freedom.

And religious people are not people nor should they stand up for their freedom too?

Up here in Quebec there is widespread complaints, for our minister confused "freedom of speech" with "prejudice against all religious symbols" such as the cross.

That's what happens when christiano-phobia meets politics.

I don't think religious extremism should be allowed to spread propaganda. But I think everyday christians should still have their freedom.

edit on 5-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

I hope I can mention this: There is a book out there called something as.... A Lawyer presents a case for the Afterlife by V Zammit. He does a good job of presenting why we continue to exist after death in a NON religious way.... To say or think we are truly alone just doesn't jibe with our internal selves....
Thanks
J

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join