It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Important Question for ALL atheists...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 4-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Triple post, zomg!
edit on 4-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
-le' sigh

Anyhow, So yeah, an atheist isn't trying to find proof of no god...actually, the typical agnostic/atheist (if they can bother) is looking FOR proof of deities...just none found so far. Whenever they ask a theist for proof so to help their search, the typical theist blows up into irrational demands that we have to believe without proof and etc etc etc...then they call an atheist arrogant and demanding they cant prove there is no deities.
Bit absurd, highly insane, and most of the world reacts exactly like that.

So whats your question? Why do theists believe with no proof?
got me...personal experience perhaps? they literally met a deity? Short of that, I don't see the point in believing in stuff with no evidence or overwhelming personal experience that can not be explained by anything else

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I have been told that establishing a rational basis for relying on a deity negates the efficacy of said deity.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It seems that worshipers of faith have a hard time believing that people can live "normal" lives without worshiping a deity.

Over the years I have learned that there is nothing one can say or do to get the followers of faith to look at the religions with an open mind.

I have no intention of trying to "make" anybody believe anything.

I am fine with my belief, are you?

My question to you is,

Why does it bother you so much?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

ketsuko

If I could provide you proof of God, would you believe it?

I wouldn't care from a 'religious' perspective.

It would just be a personality imbued with "magical" ability, possibly attributable to technologies currently beyond our ken.

I'd certainly be curious from a scientific perspective, and would absolutely twitch and tingle to dissect a god, to render it down to all its sundry components, to see what makes a god tick, and perhaps by doing so give opportunity to everyone else to have the same or similar abilities.

Yes, I'd dissect a god quicker than you could say "amen".

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by SaturnFX

I have been told that establishing a rational basis for relying on a deity negates the efficacy of said deity.

I have been told God choose who will win American Idol.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

The "Prove there is no God"? First, tell me who's God you are referring to...there are many God of many religions. And by asking that question, who are you trying to convince...me or yourself? I am an Atheist, and both proud and very confident in the choice. That choice is made because in my views, not one thing anyone has ever done has even remotely proven there is a God, any God. I can see how it is very easy to be a believer. If you have a question, and can't answer it...it's God's will. Simple as that. And there are many, many question man and science can not answer at this time. And as for a conspiracy...about what? I'm not a believer in them either, pretty much for the same reasons. If there is a conspiracy, I'd say it is from the religious leaders trying to keep the masses ignorant. Especially in third world nations. Try to get an Atheist to strap a bomb to his chest and blow themselves up...haha

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Useurbrain

Um. erm.
Are you talking to me?

... because, well, I thought I made it pretty clear that I'm an Atheist and that it wouldn't matter to me even if someone were to produce a thousand gods.

I wouldn't care, except from curiosity, and would be happy to throw one on a table and dissect it.

I'd even go a little further.
Do gods taste like chicken?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

Sorry...new to the site and should have clicked in Reply to the OP, not yours...my bad...think we agree.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Present the case and trust that your peers include honest and rational individuals. What else can you do?

I noticed something different... And, I like it...

Present the case and trust that your peers include honest and rational individuals.

Every atheist, that I've personally known, has at one time, or another, approached me about the subject of God. ("Present the case") Now think about that...

That's a self validating statement: If they wouldn't have brought the subject up, I would have never known that they were atheists.

Apply that to yourself, and ask: How could Milt have known that I was an atheist, if I hadn't said anything. ("Present the case"?)

Apply that to me, and ask: Is Milt really a theist, or is he really an agnostic. After all, I'm pretty damn sure that he's not an atheist. (Have I ever told you that God is real? Or, tried to get you to change your mind, in that regard?)

What you see above, IS THE WAY THAT I HAVE ALWAYS PROCESSED THOUGHTS. AND, that is not something that I learned out of a book, nor is it anything special, or even about God.

It only involves two possibilities: AM I SURE? or AM I NOT SURE?
That, my friend is all, that agnosticism is about. Now let's apply that to my thoughts concerning God:
Does God exist? My answer: Hell, I don't know. I haven't got a freaking clue. (I am unsure.)

Does God not exist? My answer: Hell, I don't know. I haven't got a freaking clue. (I am unsure.)

My conclusion: Hell, I don't seem to know anymore about God than anyone else does. Heck, I don't think I'll worry about it, and let the other guys hash it out.

And, THAT is, indeed, "the new way of looking at everything" that I was trying to get you you guys to see... and make your own minds up...

I'm sorry, but I've got to get bed, and I know that the above, may not look like it's going anywhere, but it will when I get back to this computer.

Just think about it... and make your own mind up... and don't worry about it... It ain't no thang...

See ya buddy, I gave you a star, and I wish that could give you more...

Later dude,
Milt

PS:
And, please stop trying to convince me that I'm not, what I am.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

liejunkie01
It seems that worshipers of faith have a hard time believing that people can live "normal" lives without worshiping a deity.

Over the years I have learned that there is nothing one can say or do to get the followers of faith to look at the religions with an open mind.

I have no intention of trying to "make" anybody believe anything.

I am fine with my belief, are you?

My question to you is,

Why does it bother you so much?

Well not all "followers of faith", I'm one of them, yet don't worship anybody. I see it easy to look at all religions with an open mind....also, I could give a flying **** what any man believes....

But ya, I have much faith, and it has served me well.
Jesus doesn't want me to worship him, it's about the message.

(not at all attacking you, "liejunkie01" personally, just your post motivated me to contribute for the sake of debate)
edit on 5-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: Edit

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

As an atheist I see no need to try and convince believers of anything. I'm a live and let live kind of guy. You are free to believe whatever you like....as am I. Just show me the same respect and we're all good.

That's cool! You're my kind of guy! And, I don't have a problem with your beliefs, or, anyone else's, until they try to shove them down my throat.

Did you have any thoughts on the question, that I asked, or the conspiracy that I mentioned?

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I wasn't aware I was trying to disprove existence of a god.
I've not concerned myself on the matter. It seems an odd thing to try and do considering it means I fear I could be wrong. But I dont.

not so ironically the people of religious faith seem overly fearful of being disproven. that is called doubt.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

IF INDEED, YOU DO SUCCEED, in your quest to prove that GOD DOES NOT EXIST, how do you plan to convince, the unconvinced,

Well I won't be baited into the bulk of your post but...

In the event you're genuinely curious. While I don't believe we can prove the non-existence of supernatural forces at the moment, I do believe we can prove most religious gods don't exist.

Here is a thread to read over and I would encourage you to contribute to:

Turns Out, Science and Religion Get Along Just Fine

I think that thread pretty well establishes the Abrahamic god is completely unfounded.

As for convincing? That's up to the individuals ability to be honest in their evaluation of evidence.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Now lets be fair I've seen atheists be provoked, and I too have been provoked on occasion. This works both ways obviously and so to have all other religious people's been picked on here.

Don't try to convert us were perfectly fine. Because well it's our life and it's our time and it's our place and it's our choice. These are our views. We won't stop and we wont quit and we won't settle for what we get, we'll keep on standing and keep on fighting no backing down our minds are made up and our bags are packed so we will walk alone on these windy roads.

And for the religious of you: May you're love never end, however were not perfect but nor are you or you're religion above us.

But as for the question of the thread I could care less. God exists or he doesn't, does it really even matter anymore after all we've been through as a race. We made it this far only to have the whole question of where'd we come from tear us apart no matter how far we progress. Does the question even matter anymore with the technologies and things were only just beginning to understand about our universe even matter any more?

So the two sides can continue bickering or you can start to look at how we can make the world better than it was before. Just stop and think whether or not this will help you or anyone else.
In the meantime come grab a chair near me and watch the world progress everyday.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
You seem to be under the impression that atheists, agnostics and such spend some appreciable fraction of their time looking for evidence of the non-existence of "god", and that they also spend their time attempting to convince persons of faith that there is no "god". I use the term "god" in quotes because I have no idea of what "god" you mean. But to answer your question, if I came upon or was provided compelling evidence that "god" didn't exist, then I would possibly provide this information to believers; however, I would have no expectation that even providing incontrovertible evidence of the non-existence of "god" would convince a true believer. And frankly I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it either. What does worry me is when religious types try to foist their beliefs on others through public or private schooling, and through governmental policy.

Now here's a question for you: do you believe in Odin, Zeus, the Invisible Flying Spagetti Monster or any of the other thousands of gods that humans have worshipped? If not, then you're an atheist for the most part too, with sole exception of one particular god. How come you're so sure that these other gods don't exist, but that yours does? Obviously I am asking this question on the assumption that you believe in some god or another; if that is not the case, then of course disregard my question.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

As a non believer, I have no intention to force my non belief on anyone. Believe what you like, just don't expect special treatment for those beliefs and have respect for those who choose to not believe.

The burden of proof will always lay with the believer in these debates.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I have no " quest " to prove god does not exist .

it is theists who are desperate to prove to others that their definition of god is the correct one

I shall type slowly - so it sinks in , I am an atheist , this means :

I have no beliefs in any gods

I do not need any religious doctrine or dogma to tell me how to live my life

I reject the notion of a " soul " afterlife as unevidenced supersticion - thus do not need to take no action to avert the threat " you will go to hell if you don't ............. "

I don't need a scripture or the alledged command of " god " to form my morals

I don't need a " god " to explain the CURRENT gaps in scientific understanding of the cosmos ,

nor do I need such aledged god to explain what we do know

that is it .

people tell me constantly that " I need to believe " , but cannot give any credible evidence why .

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
This isn't really a question, is it?

Here's my take anyway. God or gods don't exist for me, and I strongly suspect not for anyone else either. However, there is nothing for me to prove here and no one to prove it to. I'm not insecure in my belief or faith. It's just a state of what is. for me. I'm not compelled to defend or proselytize, not am I compelled to attack, ridicule, or disrespect others' beliefs.

edit on 3/5/2014 by ~Lucidity because: somthing

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join