It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 369
<< 366  367  368    370  371  372 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Rep of Lxembourg -

thanks UNHCR

Not all members have same assessment in Ukraine.

have often witnessed here a dialoged of the deaf with war on the ground raging. Speaking about the report - based on eyewitness accounts, given objective picture.

REport / briefing paint a dark picture of Crimea. Consequences to citizens damaging (Crimean tartars) had to leave Crimea fear of violent crackdowns.

Russian Ambassador is back in meeting -

Elections in Crimea were held under conditions that remove all legitimacy.
Freedom of media undermined / forced disappearing

Agree with colleagues to give UNHCR access to Crimea.

States they now have confirmation from mar 19th briefing. There have been no systemic widespread attack on ethnic Russians. The unfounded rumors of those attacks are continued to be used to stir up dissent in south / east Ukraine.

Luxembourg endorses freedom of media discussion talked about yesterday to stop propaganda.

condemns actions carried out since 6th April by armed individuals in south east of Ukraine. Actions are not spontaneous, and are coordinated. Targeted deployment of pro Russian individuals in the demonstrations. not challenge right to demonstrate freely, but pro Russian elements have led to violent incidents and led to public buildings being seized.

Calls on Russia to control those groups.

encourages Ukrainian government to proceed with caution.

Luxembourg still believe political solution can be found.

Endorses UN / OSCE monitoring mission.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Rep of Chile -

Thanks the UNHCR for briefing on Ukraine.

Endorse appeals made by UNHCR.

Must adopt immediate measures to build trust between government and population including minorities.

urgent to guarantee respect for rule of law, democracy , rights of minorities.

Find it disturbing to see worsening HR situation in E Ukraine, including freedom to meet / expression. attacks on media, political organizations.

Urge all parties to find solution with dialogue.

Speaking about meeting tomorrow in Geneva. Hopes it works. Thanks the OSCE / UN for establishing facts, reducing tensions.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Council President speaking (rep of Nigeria)

Thanks the UNHCR report.

Highlighting UN efforts made in regards to Ukraine.

UN provides professional / independent expertise. Report outlines technical / legal needs. HR issues led to Ukraine crisis needs to be addressed within the resolution of crisis. Authorities must engage all groups in country to asure them concerns will be addressed.

E. Ukraine - Flagrant adds insult to injury - exacerbates situation / HR / security.

Established fact HR violations occur in conflict. Requires a speedy need to resolve crisis.

All parties need to cease beating war drums and assist in lowering tensions.

All people around table expressed hopes about meeting tomorrow in hope a resolution is found.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
REp Ukfraine-

Thanks people for the meeting -

RE: HR is Ukraine - grateful for the presentation of the UNHCR report.

Meeting held only because of Russian military aggression.

Ukraine welcomed publication of report on HR in Ukraine.

Will take recommendations on HR / Urges Russia to as well.

Notes UN genera assembly - Crimea not recognized.

Language rights - Discussing report on HR - language minority in Russian / Ukraine from a report in 2009.

Comparing media outlets in Russia that offer Ukrainian language - Lopsided figure towards Russian media using only Russian language.

266 Jewish groups in Ukraine addressed to Putin - talking about violence towards minorities - takes Putin to task .

Rep condemns all forms of violent against any political members (ref attack on politicians).

The politician who was attacked was attacked by unknown individuals and was rescued by members of the right sector. Reported in media in Ukraine. Russian TV channels only provided parts of the interview.

Speaking about HR conditions. -
Arrests / torture / media freedom / protection of journalists.

Interference in east parts of Ukraine.

still speaking - have something I need to resolve.. sorry have to stop

edit on 16-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Ukrainian national guard soldiers fired shots in the air when a crowd of pro-Russian separatists attacked their base in the east of the country on Wednesday, the interior ministry said.

A crowd of armed protesters arrived at the base and demanded that the national guard troops back their revolt against the country's new pro-Western government, the ministry said.

When the crowd refused to disperse and tried to enter the base, the national guard troops shot into the air. The ministry did not say whether anyone was injured in the attack.

[Reuters]
by Graeme Baker 4:09 PM↑0

Aljazeera

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Sorry back - Russian rep speaking to address issuer raised at meeting.

My opinion of his response - all he is missing is taking his shoe off and banging it on the table.

This reminds me of the exchange between the US and USSR during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

English EuroMaidan ‏@EuroMaidanEN · 43s
Ukraine has arrested 23 Russian spies, according to the security service head Nalyvaichenko and defence secretary... fb.me...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Xcathdra

English EuroMaidan ‏@EuroMaidanEN · 43s
Ukraine has arrested 23 Russian spies, according to the security service head Nalyvaichenko and defence secretary... fb.me...

Nice one Ukraine... 1000's more to go.
A good few of them are on ATS ..

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
At end of meeting Russian Ambassador and Ukraine Ambassador spoke their peace.

Meeting adjourned.

A very interesting exchange...

for those who want to watch it in its entirety the UN TV service usually moves them into archives. That way people can get the meeting without my frantic typing.

Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR · 1m
Dynamo #Kyiv & Shakhtar #Donetsk fans sent a message to #Putin during today's match: “made" #Ukraine trident -EMPR pic.twitter.com/oG2KUUZY0S

edit on 16-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Wookiep
reply to post by Xcathdra

He walked out huh? I guess Russia isn't interested in a resolution.

Btw, thanks for keeping up with the updates on the meeting. I can't watch it cause I'm on hold with the IRS. I hate this time of year...

Sorry if I missed questions from others.. Wanted to try and keep up with the reps and their statements.

RE: UN peacekeepers - It was not discussed. The various members talked about the UNHCR mission in Ukraine / Crimea. Their investigators tried to confirm claims being made by both sides. The result does not help Russia in any manner. Almost all claims they made were unfounded.

What was expressed was for a transparent election process in Ukraine for the Presidential elections and called on UN observers (not peacekeepers). Essentially what partially occurred in Crimea - foreign nations / UN / NGO / groups sending representative to watch for issues that would affect locals from voting.

An interesting response from the Russian Ambassador re Crimea though 0 essentially told everyone in the rook to ignore the info as it will not be addressed in a meeting dealing with Ukraine.

Every nation that spoke was either non committal - China - or supported Ukraine - all other members but Russia and China.

The 2009 HR report the Ukrainian ambassador used was a comparison between Russia and Ukraine and talked about which nation "catered" to foreign language residents. Russia was on the failing end of that report as well.

The Russian Ambassador tried to take Ukraine to task over media restrictions. I have no idea why he thinks the statements he made in that area would be taken as valid. To be honest I am amazed the reps present didn't outright laugh as he was stating what he did.

Russian Ambassador threatened the meeting in Geneva stating it could be called off should things in Ukraine escalate.

The threat by Russia to use force on Ukraine if they used force on the protestors was brought up and slammed. Inciting violence and then telling Ukraine they cant use violence to stop it.

Whatever Russia is thinking its was evident, at least to me, no one is buying their story.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

NATOSource ‏@NATOSource · 21m
SACEUR @PMBreedlove called Russian CHOD Gerasimov to explain that NATO deployments were entirely defensive but had not been able 2 reach him

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
To clarify -

The Russian rep did walk out but came back in a few reps later. not sure if it was a bio break or needed to discuss something with Moscow.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

RT ‏@RT_com · 1m
BREAKING: One dead, 12 injured as anti-govt protesters rallied near Ukrainian military base in Mariupol on.rt.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Just when it looked like things were about to stabilize they seem to have grown much worse. I see only one man that can turn this around and avoid a blood bath and that is Putin. He doesn't seem to have any desire to de-escalate the situation and reign in Russian separatists in Eastern Ukraine. He must be mad if he thinks he can carve up more of the Ukraine without a war. This whole thing stinks. The west and their support of the right sektor stinks, and the east and putin's power grab stinks.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

Very... Well... Said... in my personal opinion.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
while west is playing dumb and ignoring what is really happening in Ukraine, thanks God we have internet and video clips showing the reality. In this clip you can see that National Guard or army leftovers (who knows who are these people) is having trouble passing through almost everywhere in east and south part of Ukraine.
People blocking roads, protesting, stopping convoys.
My friends this is Peoples Psy Ops. No wonder army personnel is changing sides.
Apart from right wing extremists who came there disguised as army personnel who else would go against people?
Must be extremely hard to keep being motivated in situations like this.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

I do not know how long west is going to push for this failed policy in Ukraine but they must be quite desperate
for some reason trying to prove us that black is not black but rather white, red or blue.
edit on 16-4-2014 by cosmonova because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
These Peoples Psy Ops are working great.
Look at this frustrated soldier threatening to throw hand granade at people.

www.youtube.com...

despearate measures to scare people with fighter jets, but people are just ignoring

www.youtube.com...

what a failure

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Based on the comments of their (Russian) Foreign Minister and their UN Ambassador they seem to either

A - don't care about the bloodshed
or
B - Don't seem to register the bloodshed.

Even their position in the UN meetings has been one of almost detachment from reality. The Rep from Luxembourg, when talking about deaf nations, was referring to Russia. When Russia speaks people are at a loss for words. Its like having 15 people watching the movie Ferris Buellers Fay Off and at the end of the movie having one person give a description of the movie Red Dawn.

We always hear how nations can agree in principle however in this case the Russian position, as they describe it, is not even on the same planet. I am not sure if its "intended" or if they are really that "out of touch" with what's going on.

What I can say is either possibility is down right frightening.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

cosmonova
while west is playing dumb and ignoring what is really happening in Ukraine, thanks God we have internet and video clips showing the reality. In this clip you can see that National Guard or army leftovers (who knows who are these people) is having trouble passing through almost everywhere in east and south part of Ukraine.
People blocking roads, protesting, stopping convoys.
My friends this is Peoples Psy Ops. No wonder army personnel is changing sides.
Apart from right wing extremists who came there disguised as army personnel who else would go against people?
Must be extremely hard to keep being motivated in situations like this.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

I do not know how long west is going to push for this failed policy in Ukraine but they must be quite desperate
for some reason trying to prove us that black is not black but rather white, red or blue.

Yeah no ones buying it anymore see UN transcripts or the release of the records showing Russia is creating the situation again posted earlier. This conflict is being created bt Russia so they can annex Ukraine. Those people out there protesting are doing so because Russian lies and manipulation.

Read this its not from RT so you probably didnt see it.
www.nytimes.com...
edit on 4/16/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

cosmonova

If you don't know who these people are then you really don't know what's happening in Ukraine.
If you don't know who these people are then there is a chance they are not National Guard units.

Military Travel is always problematic when the enemy hides among the civilians.

top topics

<< 366  367  368    370  371  372 >>

join