It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh... It's not your country... so lets have a bash at them shall we...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Indigent
Sir Americans are raised in a culture that always implies they are the best they are #1,

Strawman.

- No one is running around yelling ' USA! USA!'.
- The criticisms of the situation in Russia is valid.
- All the other host countries could handle it ... Russia can't.
That's just the truth of the matter.

This isn't a matter of 'cultural differences'. It's a matter of people paying big $$ for hotels that aren't there. It's a matter of people paying big $$ and, if they are lucky enough to get a room, the room is in shambles. (Unless you are going to try to validate that by claiming that Russian 'culture' = shambles) And now it could be a matter of Russian authorities having cameras in the hotel bathrooms.

This is the Olympics. Everyone puts their best forward. If this is Russia's best ... then that's pretty bad. Other countries ... poor countries ... countries with 'cultures' that are less advanced, managed to make it work.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm giving my personal opinion not proving or disproving anything, i fail to see how i said a fallacy

I would guess you are American and dint like any form of critic, as i tried to say in my post, its all good

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Indigent
I would guess you are American and dint like any form of critic,

I do plenty of criticizing of my own country. Justified criticism isn't a problem for me.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Who gives a crap about CNN crew at Sochi. As a matter of fact they've deserved it.
You obviously don't see an agenda from the US MSM from the day one, which you've been constantly spamming these board with.
First they threw a gay card... didn't work
Second it was a terrorist card... didn't work
Third when they've left out of options it's the freakin' door knobs and curtains.
Give me a freakin' break...
I'll watch openings today, and you can keep thinking about that freakin' door knobs...

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Was it not mentioned that we talk about a country OUT of the walls of the USA... AND FOR SOME REASON people start whining about the USA again???

Hey folks... In my OP I did not mention the USA... but as usual certain posters just HAVE to side track don't they???

Sickening.

Not all of us members here are from the USA.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Hey if you dont like someone like me talkin about US and feel it was an attempt to derail your thread you could always ask a mod to remove a post

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

What's sickening is that hotels in Vietnam are in better condition that the ones in Sochi.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by Rodinus

Hey if you dont like someone like me talkin about US and feel it was an attempt to derail your thread you could always ask a mod to remove a post

My apologies, I am not going to ask a Mod to remove your post because you talked about your own country (that would be completely close minded of me)... I was just expressing my opinion...not looking for a conflict with you...

But it would be respectful to try and keep to the main topic in hand would it not?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

ChuckNasty
reply to post by Rodinus

What's sickening is that hotels in Vietnam are in better condition that the ones in Sochi.

Can you please explain why this is sickening?

Did you even take time to look or read the 2nd link I provided?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Great rant, it hit some points that people should really take into account and the state of other countries and just because it may seem backward, most of those people will offer you things they really can't afford in the name of hospitality. for example, the people in rural Afghanistan. most of these people don't have running water or electricity, their homes are made of mud and generally have one set of clothes but when they have guests they will offer you chai tea and candies(both of these things aren't cheap in that country) and in many cases offer to feed you with food they can't afford to give.now all that said, I know you all have seen me poke fun but understand that im an equal opportunity guy and poke fun at EVERYONE give the chance.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Rodinus

ChuckNasty
reply to post by Rodinus

Can you please explain why this is sickening?

Did you even take time to look or read the 2nd link I provided?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

The budget for a hotel in Vietnam is probably 1/100000000000E than that of a Sochi hotel. That is what is sickening.

Sochi is a pisspoor excuse of a city.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Have you ever been to Russia, have you ever been to Sochi? (Or is your opinion only based on what you have learned from here and the media?)

Have you ever heard of cultural differences Chuck?

Did you read the second link? you did not answer me about that one... I would appreciate your pertinent reaction.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 7/2/14 by Rodinus because: My apologies, typed too fast.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Funny, because I saw CNN report that the reporters are bored sitting around waiting for the Olympics to start, so they are blowing things out of proportion. And that the athletes said that Olympic village is simply lovely.

But Shaun White had to drop out and some others because the snowboarding tracks are simply too dangerous. I have no idea how a snowboard track can be too dangerous.

I could care less about the Olympics. It gets on my nerves quite frankly. But I am rooting for sochi. I hear it is very lovely there and they basically had to build everything out of nothing. Which kinda makes me wonder why they chose that place to begin with if you had to start from scratch.

From the few pictures I have seen, Olympic stadium in Sochi looks stunning. What a lovely piece of modern architecture.

Russia's plans is to keep Sochi as an athletic center for future Olympians to come and train. I just find it so fascinating that basically a town that didn't exist before, has been entirely created in a few short years and has been basically plopped down like Sim City, to go on the map. I wonder if it will work out.

As for your post about people finding hotel rooms dirty with cigarettes under the bed. Hotel staff don't make a lot of money in the states either, minimum wage which might as well be 2 bucks an hour. They manage to clean the hotel rooms. If you own a vacuum, you can sweep under the bed.

When a city is picked for the Olympics, they have to prove that they can improve and provide an adequate infrastructure to support such a massive event.

So since this is the most expensive Olympics ever, I really see no excuse why the water should be brown, and why the infrastructure is not working, so if that is the reports from Sochi, that is actually a very valid point.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Cleanliness is not a cultural difference. Cleanliness is a standard. And our species progressed when we discovered that washing our hands and eliminating our waste meant healthier people.

The world is a small place. Russia is not some hidden tribe in the amazon that has never seen Europeans before, they are very well aware of basic hygiene standards.

You think Putin has never stayed at a real, 5 star hotel? I am pretty sure he knows what they are, and so do his associates.

You are forgetting one important thing, no one forced them to contend for the Olympics.

If I went to visit a third world country, of course I wouldn't expect them to have the same standards. No one is saying they should. But a country that feels they are secure enough to host the Olympics, who beat out hundreds of other cities who would of loved to have the honor, is expected to be up to standards.

edit on 7-2-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

My wife who is Russian told me that Sochi is an out of the way place and the cost of building all the structures to accommodate all the people involved with the winter olympics would be insanely expensive and there is no wonder why all the problems since there really isn't many people around that area to efficiently build it all.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut
reply to post by Rodinus

My wife who is Russian told me that Sochi is an out of the way place and the cost of building all the structures to accommodate all the people involved with the winter olympics would be insanely expensive and there is no wonder why all the problems since there really isn't many people around that area to efficiently build it all.

I hear Sochi is a vacation spot. I hear it is beautiful there. Is it an area like Lake Tahoe where only a few of the rich and famous get to live there?

Now this is the part I find very interesting, because this whole thing seemed like a big risk. Now most big cities contend for the Olympics because they want the long term investment. Before people say that they don't accrue from the Olympics, no, not immediately. But it puts the town on the map.

How many have heard of Sochi before this?

People forever talk about previous Olympics, so the advertising doesn't die as soon as they are over.

So to put so much money into a place that isn't very big, not very accessible, and is remote, seems like a big risk to take. As opposed to Beijing where it is a transportation hub anyways.

If it fails, there is not a beautiful stadium sitting in the middle of nowhere. Unless their intentions come true of it being an athletic mecca.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

i don't know about vacationing. She only said that there really wasn't anything there

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Rodinus

Have you ever been to Russia, have you ever been to Sochi? (Or is your opinion only based on what you have learned from here and the media?)
Seen twitter pics of the hotel. I would never want to stay there.

Yes.. Grew up understanding different cultures..

Did you read the second link? you did not answer me about that one... I would appreciate your pertinent reaction.
I read your post. I read the 2nd link. What of it? Was it supposed to blow my mind? Stuff in the 2nd link looked like common sense, but I'm the one who never heard of cultural differences..

Kindest respects

Rodinus

And for the record, I would love to visit Russia....just not some war torn border town that has brown water. Speaking of border towns, even TJ has clear water.

Sochi is a joke. Hope the mayor doesn't blamed for it.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

ChuckNasty

Rodinus

I read your post. I read the 2nd link. What of it? Was it supposed to blow my mind? Stuff in the 2nd link looked like common sense, but I'm the one who never heard of cultural differences..

Kindest respects

Rodinus

And for the record, I would love to visit Russia....just not some war torn border town that has brown water. Speaking of border towns, even TJ has clear water.

I understand your point of view and your quick unfounded answers.

Fair enough... I shall not continue this conversation any further with you... just seen your mood on your avatar...

DRUNK...

What is the point in discussing a topic with someone who is not prepared to REALLY get involved and at least try and have a serious though out discussion.

Have a good day/evening/morning

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Rodinus

ChuckNasty

Rodinus

Kindest respects

Rodinus

I understand your point of view and your quick unfounded answers.

Fair enough... I shall not continue this conversation any further with you... just seen your mood on your avatar...

DRUNK...

What is the point in discussing a topic with someone who is not prepared to REALLY get involved and at least try and have a serious though out discussion.

Have a good day/evening/morning

Kindest respects

Rodinus

I feel ya. Discussing a topic with someone who can't see anything other than their own small view is frustrating.

If you want only people to agree with you....that is just sad.

Good game

Sochi is the anus of Russia.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join