It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record 20% of Households on Food Stamps in 2013

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy

Thats not a position of progress thats a deflection of personal responsability.

They need to make the choice for themselves.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

yes. but they can't while they are in that mental, social, environmntal and political quagmire and they see politic5ans, clergy and bankers and business people not taking responsibility themselves. what lessons are they being taught?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Ok, i get it. They are victims of culture and enviornment. I understand people are in poor mental states and sometimes what they need is an example or someone to look up to.

How can we rightously judge the worst of us when we are all just as suseptable to the same behavior?

It seems to me that a lot of people use success as a tool to judge others with. Maybe thats the only real difference between the beggar and billionaire?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

The lesson is simple. They're not our leaders.

The reason to improve yourself is simple. To grow.

People need to hit rock-bottom, and be incentivized with options that benefit them.

That doesn't always happen, and some junkies die out. Sucks. I've got a good friend who turned hardcore sociopathic from meth.

No amount of support will help. It only enables her. You know what'll help her? Hitting absolute rock bottom.

That's why I ditched her. Yes, I ditched her. Years of support, and all it got me was grief and misery. All it did for her was indirectly enable her.

I gave her a false image to attach onto. One that made her feel decent, and that she had good people in her life. It was enabling.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

No amount of support will help. It only enables her. You know what'll help her? Hitting absolute rock bottom.

I agree its got to be the person who decides for themselves when its time for a change.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Eliminating wealth isnt the idea. However if your wealthy you inherintly have a larger proportion of responsability to utilize your resources to enable a more sustainable community.

It doesnt mean you have to give it away but it does mean that you should feel a sense of responsability towards creating ways to cirrculate that money back into the economy in a way that helps build the community around you.

I'm really curious about this worldview. Why do you believe that someone who is wealthy by someone else's subjective standard should feel anything but a desire to enjoy the fruits of whatever labor got them there?

I do see a very different thing with the very few and the obscenely rich. That, being the 1% and who aren't just joking to say they can buy small nations. They have net worth literally running in excess of many nations GDP combined. THAT level...is a very very small club and they insure it remains that way, IMO. You want to see "The Powers That Be"? Who is top 25-50 in world personal net worth...There you go for a fair part of those at the table when the future is talked about and real deciding is done, IMO.

Outside those literal couple dozen to few dozen human beings, (Soros..Bloomberg...Koch...Buffet..and some very interesting ones to look at very public lists of them) I think wealth is an earned thing or, it's kept by working to maintain it ...which is also earned. "trust fund babies" as I've heard it called, are the exception that every 'general rule' has, but generally speaking...millionaires earned it or learned it.

One way or another....charity is an option I love hearing them take but I feel they have no obligation to it.

If Millionaires have an obligation, then I should have felt a similar scale of it when I made 40-50k in trucking...and nope. I felt a very real need to play hard, just as I worked hard...and I may do a lot more when I've completed my Masters track and am making a few times what trucking paid. It isn't a 'gimmie'....these years of schooling at the level required, earns it..hence, not an obligation to 'contribute back', although it's in my personal nature anyway and likely how I'll be.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Im talking about the obscenely wealthy not the average millionaire.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

On that, we'd agree then...

It's hard to tell, as many don't draw that distinction.

edit on 21-1-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Eliminating wealth isnt the idea. However if your wealthy you inherintly have a larger proportion of responsability to utilize your resources to enable a more sustainable community.

It doesnt mean you have to give it away but it does mean that you should feel a sense of responsability towards creating ways to cirrculate that money back into the economy in a way that helps build the community around you.

I agree very much with this idea.

Whatever your status, whatever your abilities and available resources, we each of us have the capacity and potential to give something back to help CREATE a better world. Because, let's face it, a better world won't create itself. If you need more proof of that, just look around at what happens when we passively sit back and allow these criminals in power to essentially have their way with our world.

The reason humanity is in such bad shape is because too many good people sat back and did nothing to improve the status of their communities, their states, their countries, the world at large. It's easy to get distracted and caught up in the minutia and mindless entertainment given to us by TPTB. It's simpler to subsist in ignorance and apathy rather than confront the uncomfortable truths and vicious realties of the world around us.

But things are reaching a breaking point. Humanity cannot continue down this suicidal path, which means that we can't afford to be apathetic towards the fate of our world any longer. Every day we should each be trying to give something back to the world and its people--even if it's nothing more than a positive attitude, an uplifting comment, or simply a smile.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by xuenchen

They are going to do nothing, xuenchen.

This is the new normal.

so?....your solution?....cut them all off?....you better get your checkbook out, because you will be paying for a lot more law enforcement and prisons...when people get desperate enough, they realize they have nothing left to lose, and they turn to their barbaric nature. books on human history give you that blueprint.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join