It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "NO" votes for independce in 1776. Can you guess which ones still wanted to be under the crown

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Please stop saying "The English".
You should be saying " The British ".

You will also be aware that after The 13 Colonies gained independence, tens of thousands of the colonists wanted to be no part of this new country and moved to Canada to remain under The Crown.
edit on 27-12-2013 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

IkNOwSTuff
reply to post by SLAYER69

Ill admit Ive had a beer or 2 this evening but I got the impression the OP was implying that those who voted against were somehow wrong.

Short term it was the right move but RIGHT NOW do any Americans really think they have it better than the other "colonies" that chose to stay under the oppressive yoke of the crown?

As for the instigator comment........ OK you got me, I do occasionally S**t stir for fun

I appreciate your honesty.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Why do we need to remember this when we visit these states? None of those people are alive anymore. Hey why not boycott all the southern states that seceded from the country resulting in the war between the state's? For the same reason. None of those people are alive any more. Ancient history. I really don't get the point of this thread.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

alldaylong

Please stop saying "The English".
You should be saying " The British ".

You will also be aware that after The 13 Colonies gained independence, tens of thousands of the colonists wanted to be no part of this new country and moved to Canada to remain under The Crown.
edit on 27-12-2013 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

What they wanted to do had less to do with the reasons they moved to Canada and more about what they were "strongly encouraged" to do.

The Loyalists are men whose names have been largely erased from history on this side of the Atlantic as they were seen as traitors to the cause. In the late Eighteenth century, Loyalists were driven from their homes, their estates burned, and many were tarred and feathered. This practice was not supported by many of the Founding Fathers, because they believed that such behavior would hurt their case.

www.constitutionfacts.com...

So instead of allowing it to harm the cause it was simply written out of the narrative, like so much of our history.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

That is true. Why the distinction between English and British. I thought they were considered the same thing.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Damn you Slayer!!!!

Now I feel bad LOL

Apologies to all I have offended in this thread and others by taking my frustrations with the US Gov out on its citizens who are most likely as frustrated if not more so than I am with the state of affairs over there.

Vast majority of you yankees are OK in my book

P.s dont think this admission of my ignorance will stop me from sticking it to whoever makes the next pro US thread on this site

edit on 27/12/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The French and the Spanish won the war of independence. Without those 2 nations to support the minorities views, independence would have happened much later in history, if at all.

In the U.K we were told that it was all about the taxes on tea and that this pissed off enough people that they dressed up as native Americans and tipped an awful lot of tea into the Boston harbour. That's about as much as we covered in history, after all, we were the losers.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Sure if that's what you want.

If you drive a car,I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax the seat.
If you gat too cold I'll tax the heat.
If you take a walk I'll tax your feet.
Cuz I'm the Taxman

I think the Beatles said it best.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

rickymouse
reply to post by alldaylong

That is true. Why the distinction between English and British. I thought they were considered the same thing.

Well, I think the Scots, Welsh and Irish would have issues with being classed English.

link   
You went to all that trouble for independence then sold it to the banks.

link   

Cobaltic1978
The French and the Spanish won the war of independence. Without those 2 nations to support the minorities views, independence would have happened much later in history, if at all.

In the U.K we were told that it was all about the taxes on tea and that this pissed off enough people that they dressed up as native Americans and tipped an awful lot of tea into the Boston harbour. That's about as much as we covered in history, after all, we were the losers.

The tea issue was just a distraction.

The US was founded by "The Elite" with the soul purpose of benefiting "The Elite"

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by beezzer

Cuz I'm the Taxman

The Beatles were 'Murican.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

The tea issue was just a distraction.

The US was founded by "The Elite" with the soul purpose of benefiting "The Elite"

Yes, I have done a bit more research since my school days

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The Beatles were muricanised, but as British as the Duke of Edinburgh. No, no not him because he's Greek. As British as the Governor of The Bank of England. No, no not him because he's Canadian. I give up!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

beezzer

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by beezzer

Cuz I'm the Taxman

LMFAO

Best 1 line come back ever

Either that or the beer has affected me more than I thought Haha
edit on 27/12/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Horus12
You went to all that trouble for independence then sold it to the banks.

This...

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

You weren't taught that the desire was universal. We were all taught about both sides. We were taught the roll the French had in the situation.
The patriots were hardened to the harsh conditions of the colonies and had ecked out a living from the land. These were tough men who had learned how to survive. They were proud men who didn't want to see what they had worked so hard for stolen away or to support a country who's only roll at that time was taxation. The crown had all but ceased any real support to the colonies .
The British were mostly aristocrats who were not used to the harsh conditions and as Geroge Carlin so aptly said..."Wore red and marched in a straight line. Kind of like lining up for a firing squad. While our guys wore brown and hid behind trees."
Something they had learned from the native Americans.
Sure some were afraid that the young country would not survive. We were after all clear across the ocean from the very civilized European nations and if we needed anything it was a month or more away from arriving. They were not sure of our ability to survive without the help of the King.
But with the help of Louis XVI who was more than eager to stick it to Great Britian who at that time was still trying to expand onto the continent the proud and brave patriots won the day. And here we are today one of the greatest nations on earth. From that little group of ragtag farmers .

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Yeah then what was all that about the British invasion of the sixties.
The Beatles were from England my friend. Liverpool if I'm not mistaken. They got their real start in the club's of Hamburg Germany where they became famous throughout Europe before coming to the states in 1963.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

reply to post by Cobaltic1978

You both are thinking of Yoko Ono.

(Who was actually French)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join