It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Positive Look at Cops.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by St0mP121

2 reasons. 1- This is about a cop that died in the line of duty and the funeral arrangements. 2- The other driver is fine:

According to Toronto Police, Zivcic was responding to a call when his vehicle collided with another in the late afternoon. The driver of the other vehicle suffered minor injuries, for which they were treated and released from hospital.

o.canada.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I'm not sure what this thread is supposed to be about.. it seems more like a cry for sympathy than anything.. but as long as there ARE bad cops and as long as they keep showing up in the media and on the internet then you will continue to have the "screw all cops" mentality.

I, myself, am not a fan of cops who abuse their power. BUT, I am a fan of cops who do the right thing and do their jobs correctly.
I mean, it sucks; a cop died in the line of duty, it happens everyday. People are dying everywhere in the world everyday from cops, drugs, military operations, radicals, cartels, car accidents, disease, other people, and pretty much everything else. Where's the sympathy for those people?

The easiest way I can put it is, if I can say "Cops are supposed to do their jobs." then there is obviously something wrong. Where do you start? With the police force right? Get all the bad cops out. Why would you start here? Why would try to change the opinion of people who know what the # is going on?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Students arent recruited for the same neanderthal traits cops are. Read the reports.

Pretty sure Frats are worse.

But I don't have a report bent on a reactive agenda's....

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Police have markedly higher rates of depression, divorce, alcoholism, drug use, stress, domestic violence than non-police.

So obviously something is wrong with how they're operating.

I tend to see that a little differently. Cops tend to have those issues at higher than average rates (which I wouldn't dispute) because of the nature of the work. By definition, their average day is seeing most of their contacts with the public, at their very worst. As often as not, victims learning the worst or dealing with violations of one sort of another against them. The other half is often dealing with the other side that makes a living out of producing the first half from otherwise normal and happy people.

Years and Years of living in the very worst society has happen, on a daily basis, certainly takes a toll. Perhaps that does need looked into and perhaps a reasonable idea would be moving full retirement level down from it's current level, so as many years are not required.

It's society, and the side of it they see, which changes the cop though. That's been my experience in watching it.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Since I keep hearing negative comments about "the thin blue line" I will explain what it means to me.

The black on top represents the good citizens which obviously makes up a great majority of the population.

The black on the bottom represents the bad citizens who wish to do harm be it financial, emotional or physical to the good citizens. Of course this is a small part of the population.

The blue represents me as a police officer being the barrier between the good and the bad. It represents me being there to protect the good from the bad.

Now I know I don't always catch the bad guy and I know I am not always there on time. But I am there as best as I can with the resources that I have and would risk my life to defend yours, even if I don't know you.

Now I am not saying there aren't officers that would cover for another officer doing bad. That is obvious. But I am not one of them.

I just wanted to show that "the thin blue line" represents something positive to me and just because you may view it as something negative, or some code to where bad police cover for each other doesn't mean it is true.

I am sure most officers feel the same way.
edit on 6-12-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You are correct.

A good read for any officer or anyone interested in the topic would be Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement by Kevin M. Gilmartin.

It is a quick read.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

ChuckNasty

thisguyrighthere
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Students arent recruited for the same neanderthal traits cops are. Read the reports.

Pretty sure Frats are worse.

But I don't have a report bent on a reactive agenda's....

See? This is dismissive and silly.

When was the last time you met a fratboy who had the authority to kill you? Or who had the authority to do anything to you?

Your comparison is dumb.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

Correct me if I'm wrong here (no disrespect intended) but in that description of your avatar, it seems to me you view "The black on top represents the good citizens" and "The black on the bottom represents the bad citizens" as the same thing? Both good and bad represented by the same color, black (not even going into the racial connotations of the color choices).

If so, this speaks volumes, and reinforces the feeling many here have that the good citizens and bad citizens are seen and therefore treated the same by you (or police officers in which you represent).

edit on 12/6/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
i know a nurse who uses, commonly, a screen name that is very similar to "nursingtoperfection". She has had her license suspended for how bad of a nurse she is. But she still swears that she was a 'good nurse'.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

I'll answer for him

NO ... UH .. HECK NO

His avatar is the VERY COMMON representation of "The Thin Blue Line"

The mystical line police hold between crime and complete chaos and goodness and order

SHEESH.. I have no idea how you made that stuff up..

Black on bottom/Black on Top
LMAO LMAO LMAO

WOW

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Fantastic reply there neformore

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

semperfortis
reply to post by intrepid

Well I'm a big bad cop

While some of my time was taken up by public beating, money laundering and accepting bribes..

MOST of my time was spent doing..

1. Slowly patrolling neighborhoods looking at your homes to make sure all is well
2. Changing tires
3. Treating and holding injured and dead people until loved ones and EMS arrives
4. Finding lost children
5. Changing light bulbs
6. Slowing speeders down before they kill someone I have to hold again
7. Running toward a gun fight
8. Running toward a fist fight
9. Running into a riot
10. Telling families their loved ones have died

Yeah yeah I know.. I get paid for it and it is my job..

But you are WRONG.. Yep.. W..R..O..N..G...

It is NOT a job, it is a life calling

Until NONE of your time is taken up with public beatings, money laundering and bribe accepting, IMHO it doesn't matter how much of your time was taken up with the rest.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cherryontop

Another that has no concept of SARCASM

LMAO

LMAO

LMAO

READ A BOOK PEOPLE

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

semperfortis

LMAO

LMAO

LMAO

READ A BOOK PEOPLE

This is why us plebes don't bother discussing, in a civil manner, these issues with police officers. We are met with laughter, derision, and sarcasm.

It is that exact same attitude that we are talking about. That gets carried over into the daily tasks you do. I believe that you believe you are "a good cop". But really look at the way you meet disagreement here, in another arena where you carry some authority.

You may not see it...but many of us do. Thus, it may be pointless to try to point out why folks have a problem with LEO's, as you likely will not see that, either.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

How would you expect me, or anyone to react when someone.. You or anyone, would actually believe that I would admit to the actions I included in sarcasm??????

If we are to have an adult conversation, it is best to eliminate or at least identify those who can not engage in adult banter...

At the least we need to know who can not grasp sarcasm?

So more deflecting blame

HECK I BET IT WAS SOME ABUSIVE COP THAT HAS CAUSED THIS HERE!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

semperfortis

LMAO

LMAO

LMAO

READ A BOOK PEOPLE

I "read" your sarcasm in that. I chose to address the issue rather than crack jokes about it.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Sir, with all due respect, there is no need to shout or lose your temper here. We are all adults, and should conduct ourselves in that manner....regardless of our "station" here.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

semperfortis

I'll answer for him

NO ... UH .. HECK NO

His avatar is the VERY COMMON representation of "The Thin Blue Line"

The mystical line police hold between crime and complete chaos and goodness and order

SHEESH.. I have no idea how you made that stuff up..

Black on bottom/Black on Top
LMAO LMAO LMAO

WOW

Why the shouting here? I made a very obvious observation, yet you respond in all-caps (the equivalent to shouting me down). It is you, sir, that is showing and exemplifying the exact attitude the population at large see and one of the reasons they ALL are viewed as such....big bullies, looking to silence all dissenters with force.

Hey, I simply asked a question about the avatar color selection, and how it appeared to me to represent something more than was on the surface. I think that, perhaps, it hit a raw nerve in you?

ETA: And if that is a common representation for that profession, then perhaps it explains a lot of the animosity your profession receives here? I suggest you look in the mirror, very closely, you may not like what you see.

edit on 12/6/2013 by Krakatoa because: Added addendum thought.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I'm sorry

I'm not a child

Using all caps means NOTHING to me

If you take it as shouting, that is on you

I NEVER SHOUT

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
WOW

Items the haters can not get

Listed

1. Sarcasm
2. ALL CAPS
3. ANYTHING relating to FACTS
4. Numerical proof they are wrong

MORE and MORE

Hard to hold a conversation when all the haters have are lies, emotions and innuendo

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join