It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye Boo'd In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   

buster2010

SasquatchHunter

buster2010

SasquatchHunter
reply to post by boymonkey74

That's exactly the opposite of what Bill Nye did bringing up religion at a school.

The article doesn't say how that quote was brought up. He could have been answering a question and that quote was the best way to explain it. Seeing the reaction of the people there he should have dumbed it down more.

This originally ocuured sometime before 2007 the examiner link that the OP posted on page2 actually has a link to an interview with the original reporter. Turns out it was a story sensationalised WHAT A SHOCK instead of a hunch of crazy Christians screaming it was one lady within in close proximity to Bill as in sitting next him getting up and saying in a normal voice "we believe in God" and possibly a few others leaving although that seems more like an afterthought.

Your right it doesn't say that was it a Q&A session maybe but I think I can extrapolate from him quoting Genesis word for word it was something he prepared.

My real question now is why the OP would post a link to the think atheist blogspot and not the more factual Examiner... Hmmmmmm.

Maybe you should learn how to click a link every now and then. The "factual Examiner" sourced straight back to the blog that was in the OP. Not to mention this happened back in 09 so the bible thumpers are still upset?

Do you have a learning disability? The very first paragraph of the Examiner link.EXAMINER

Good thing he didn't tell them about the Earth around the Sun thing.
I wasn't aware of this. Bill Nye "The Science Guy" was booed in Waco, Texas in 2006 for suggesting the Moon did not generate its own light, but reflected light from the sun. (Update: You can find more here. Interview with the reporter HERE CLICK ME BUSTER.)

When the story first appeared, it took off, but it wasn't until 2007 that it really exploded on Democratic Underground and BSalert.com under the headline "Bill Nye Boo'd in Texas for Saying the Moon Reflects the Sun", generating 216,000 views at BS alone.

The event happened before 2007.

"There was some mischaracterization of what happened," Woods says. It seemed like the story was always construed in such a way to make his hometown look like backwoods idiots. "The one that always floors me is they say, oh, he was booed. No, he wasn’t booed. I've gone back through the story, and nowhere does it say he was booed."

So not only is the OP title misleading ITS COMPLETELY WRONG.
INTERVIEW WITH ORIGINAL REPORTER WHO FIRST WROTE THE STORY
edit on 06am06q000000am302013-11-05T06:32:06-06:000606 by SasquatchHunter because: (no reason given)

edit on 08am08q000000am302013-11-05T06:35:08-06:000606 by SasquatchHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

When you first meet someone in Texas, one of their first questions is "What church do you go to" That question determines your social standing in their eyes. When I mention that I'm a proud member of the church of the sub genius; you can imagine the look of absolute revulsion on their faces.

I became a follower many moons ago. Interesting point, I was introduced to Bob by a girl who grew up in east Texas. The world works at fixing itself.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

I think Bill Nye was referring to this

Genesis 1:16 King James Bible
And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

God made two great lights and then pfft the rest of the universe into existence in what looks like a bit of an after thought

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

Hey did you happen to notice the blue words where it says the moon generates it's own light? That is the link that the story the op based this thread on. A course in English comprehension wouldn't hurt. Because you need help in reading dates also because the article this thread was based on was written in 09 just like the article you wasted your time trying to point out. It says this happened before 07 but there isn't even any proof that it even took place just a story in a blog. Next thing you know the knuckle draggers will be saying Obama put him up to it in his war against Christians.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

theantediluvian
reply to post by olaru12

Kinda makes you wonder what they think lunar eclipses are all about?

it is god winking

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Why are you making things up?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

If you would rather believe that a bunch of people who went a College campus to attend a science lecture freaked out because they found out THE MOON ISNT ON FIRE because that's the way an atheist blogger portrayed the story rather than believe the journalist who interviewed the original journalist and fact checked the original newspaper story that's up to you.
That makes you just as fanatical and ignorant as the religious fanatics.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Gonna steal that
because it is true.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

XionZap
reply to post by olaru12

Why are you making things up?

I think god does that.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by sheepslayer247

It is both read the article someone shouted "We believe in God" when he was stating the facts.

I read the article and (although the site is a tad bit biased), the article does state that he starts out with making fun of the Bible...one verse in particular...before discussing the moon.

Does one think it possible that the audience became angry because they felt Bill was insulting/demeaning them, rather than they believe the moon emits light?

I've been to many a scientific conference and I've never known a presenter to need to insult someone's religion to get a scientific point across.

Is it possible that Bill was just being a condescending jackass to his audience and that is why they booed him?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Baylor University is a cult.

But it will make you look impressive on a resume and get you an extra $20k $nake money starting off in a job (JOB)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by luciddream

Gonna steal that
because it is true.

you don't really believe that do you?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Sure do..no religion = world peace, I believe in God but religion is just made to make money, 2nd book of the bible and it is telling you to give money to God.
I also think it is abuse to brainwash kids into following any religion, the kids can decide it when they are old enough.
Iam just glad it is dying off.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I can hardly believe I am "again" quoting Ron White, but ...

"You can't cure stupid"!
edit on 5-11-2013 by teamcommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

People would still fight, there would still be wars, that's the fact.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

Yes of course there will be wars. except that there will not be any wars because of religions. aka many people will have similar mindset.

Religion is a big divider.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
How can anyone be shocked this happened?

Last month a group of girls was going to Britain to fight witches.

Also...Flat-Earthers.

People are just as dumb now as they were in the middle ages, they just have twitter/facebook now. Meaning all their ridiculous musings are more readily/easily available.
edit on 5-11-2013 by MmmPie because: spelling

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

luciddream

Stormdancer777

Yes of course there will be wars. except that there will not be any wars because of religions. aka many people will have similar mindset.

So the wars would be peaceful?

Interesting.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

luciddream

Stormdancer777

you nut

lol

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join