It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye Boo'd In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

EXACTLY! I was wondering the same thing. I learned that fact when I was in elementary school. How did he even know or why did he presume these adults wouldn't know this? I thought everyone knew that and I've never heard that the bible argues against it.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

WTF does this have to do with religion?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Riffrafter

Actually he has become kinda of a pompous dick in the last few years. I'm not religous, but he goes out of his way to knock religion. You can teach science without knocking religion.

Apparently here he attacked the bible as he was taliing about this.

I liked hI'm as a kid but he's a douche now. I think I liked beakmans world better.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
My faith has Jack to do with the moon.Bill's right about that.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Why is this important now?

This happened in '06.....
edit on 2013114 by scolai because: Wrong Year.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Riffrafter

Actually he has become kinda of a pompous dick in the last few years. I'm not religous, but he goes out of his way to knock religion. You can teach science without knocking religion.

Apparently here he attacked the bible as he was taliing about this.

I liked hI'm as a kid but he's a douche now. I think I liked beakmans world better.

Wait a minute. Exactly how did he "attack" the bible or religion??? By saying the moon reflects the sunlight?? What should he have said, that it's god's nightlight so he won't get nightmares?? Seriously guys, are we denying ignorance here or wallowing in it???

I would guess that the "thumper" woman who stormed out with her three soon to be "thumper" kids probably had a dislike toward Bill and his Evil Science way of thinking long before this moment and was simply waiting for an excuse to put that opinion out on blast for the world to see. I'm sure she feels the glory now for standing up for her beliefs too as it allows her to mimic her savior and idol.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

ChesterJohn
Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no strict Biblical Dogma that says the moon emits its own light. As a matter of Biblical knowledge it teaches that the moon does reflect the sun ...

I assume you are referring to the following versus (?):

Isaiah 13:10

The stars of heaven and their constellations will not show their light. The rising sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light.

Isaiah 30:26

The moon will shine like the sun, and the sunlight will be seven times brighter, like the light of seven full days, when the Lord binds up the bruises of his people and heals the wounds he inflicted.

ChesterJohn
... why the glory of the moon is less than that of the glory of the sun and the Sun is referred to as a Him/his and the moon a her ...

Have you heard of the following Sun Goddesses (?):

Amaterasu
Arinna/Arinniti
Yhi
Arunta
Sulis
Aditi
Marici
Atthar/Torch

Some of the Goddesses listed above predate the written record of the Old Testament - in which few biblical scholars doubt it was written before 540 B.C.E. in its present form - by 700 years or more.

For example, we have the following written record:

Sun-Goddes of Arinna, my lady, you are the queen of all lands! In the land of Hatti you have assumed the name of Sun-Goddess of Arinna, but in respect to the land which you made of cedars, you have assumed the name Hebat.

Please Note: I am focusing on the access of written documentation that we have discovered.

ChesterJohn
... A wife always reflects the glory of her husband (well until of late with modern feminist movement which is at the root of what pretty much destroyed the US).

Wut?

Why should a wife always reflect the glory of her husband instead of both equally reflecting the glory of each other (if a person wants to state it this way)?

(I have taught my daughter to expect equality.)

Is it possible to provide some proof or a scientific study that modern feminism is the root of destroying the US?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

MichaelPMaccabee
Texas writes the textbooks, people.

They write the textbooks.

A state that writes?!!?

It's a miracle!!

Must be a huge pencil , #2

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
OLD NEWS & ignorant as hell

It's already been posted on ATS in this thread from April 2011:

Bill Nye Booed in Texas for Saying The Moon...

Who knows when this actually happened but it was at least before February of 2009....not exactly hot off the presses.

This article is obviously a pro-atheist propaganda piece.

And yay for you idiots who think you can put a label on an entire state just because a few morons didn't pass science class...that attitude is part of the reason this country can't unite to bring down the leaches sucking this country dry - honestly, it's pathetic.

If I really wanted to spend the energy to do it I could probably put a label on every single state in this country...but I won't...cause this guy already did:

edit on 5-11-2013 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

What a bunch of morons.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Cause there are people like us that would have to immigrate later. I still kinda like being called a Texan and remembering the history behind the name.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Don't let the door hit ya on the way out

TheExplorerKerman
reply to post by Nyiah

Cause there are people like us that would have to immigrate later. I still kinda like being called a Texan and remembering the history behind the name.

You like being called Texan cause being Texan is bad ass.... all ya'll stop trying to belittle Texas... best in the country no competition, and you konw it. No, not the smartest. But the best. Number 1. That is what it is all about. That is what is has always been. That is what will always be. Texas, number 1.
edit on 11-5-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Mugen

What door?? I thought everyone in Texas jumped off the roof on to their horse and rode off?!?!?!? Boy the times they are a changen....

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

mOjOm

Mugen

What door?? I thought everyone in Texas jumped off the roof on to their horse and rode off?!?!?!? Boy the times they are a changen....

Times change? We still do jump off roofs onto our horses and go to taco bell.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

I jump off roofs even when I don't have a horse...good times

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
To help people understand this situation, I will use one of my favourite George Carlin quotes...

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are more stupid than that!"

ETA: Seriously, how hard is it to look at a half moon and then the position of the Sun and work it out?
edit on 5/11/13 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Ya well if you think you have it all figured out then answer me this smart guy: With so much heat coming off the sun wouldn't it melt the entire moon since it's all made of cheese??? So you see, the moon must have it's own source of light since if it was reflecting the sun it would all melt and the earth would be just one big plate of nachos!!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

They probably are so closed minded that they think "This guys is an atheist and I hate atheists". So instead of listening to him they jut say " We believe in God" and don't even listen to him at all.. Like really listen.

He is not always right, but he is smart and cool and famous ( I grew up watching his show) but he is right about the moon,it does reflect the light. You can see the this effect replicated with all planets and with models on earth.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

But the bible doesn't say that the moon reflects light...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   

SasquatchHunter

buster2010

SasquatchHunter

That's exactly the opposite of what Bill Nye did bringing up religion at a school.

The article doesn't say how that quote was brought up. He could have been answering a question and that quote was the best way to explain it. Seeing the reaction of the people there he should have dumbed it down more.

This originally ocuured sometime before 2007 the examiner link that the OP posted on page2 actually has a link to an interview with the original reporter. Turns out it was a story sensationalised WHAT A SHOCK instead of a hunch of crazy Christians screaming it was one lady within in close proximity to Bill as in sitting next him getting up and saying in a normal voice "we believe in God" and possibly a few others leaving although that seems more like an afterthought.

Your right it doesn't say that was it a Q&A session maybe but I think I can extrapolate from him quoting Genesis word for word it was something he prepared.

My real question now is why the OP would post a link to the think atheist blogspot and not the more factual Examiner... Hmmmmmm.

Maybe you should learn how to click a link every now and then. The "factual Examiner" sourced straight back to the blog that was in the OP. Not to mention this happened back in 09 so the bible thumpers are still upset?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join