It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye Boo'd In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
From what I can find, it was because of his comments on Religion, not the moon. Although, this a great opportunity to make fun of people who don't share your own views.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
What I find more disgusting here is that the media and people are taking some dumb thing like this, and the ignorance of a few "religion sensitive" folks, and then using it to disparage a religion, when it it is only relevant to a few ignorant people.

Which one of these is more rediculous?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

You are talking about Texas writing the textbooks. You either didn't bother to read the article, or your reading comprehension is lacking.

A bunch of religious fanatics didn't show up to a science lecture Bibles in hand.
A scientist showed up to a science lecture and brought up religion. Try thinking for yourselves once in awhile people. Instead of thinking people at a college actually believe the moon is on fire!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

This sounds like some kind of Demonize Texas thing to me. I've heard about every bit of evangelical craziness there is, but I've never heard of anyone believing the moon produces its own light. And I've never been asked what church I go to by a Texan or anyone else. It's just a fallacy. If this is even an accurate story, it's an extreme case. Maybe some weird sect of Branch Davidianism.
edit on 11/4/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Praise be to Bob

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

I can understand your point, but I think most of us are concentrating on the people....not the religion.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

benrl

Its almost as if those in charge of education want to keep the populous dumb...

Now that's funny right there. Can you see why?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

Well, I do have to question why he brought this up in his presentation. Is it because of a question he was asked? Or did he just choose to present it that way?

If the latter. I'd say he asked for it, and got it. Nevertheless, he really didn't say anything insulting, or out of line. All he said was the "lesser light" was a reflector. He didn't contradict anything written in that verse per se. He just explained it scientifically. Those who got bent out of shape over it were most likely looking to be offended, anyway.

They're probably geocentrists, too.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
well this was getting to be on heck of an ole fashion witch burning until the last half dozen or so posters came in an ruined it by talking sense!

The knee-jerk prejudice and subsequent statements shown here by many of you all can not be any worse than what allegedly happened at the Waco event.

everyone talking crap on an unsubstaintiated story by the OP. tisk tisk

Bask in ignorance everyone!

It's fun to feel superior I suppose

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Damn... I guess folks hate us Texans.
/nod

We'll get out if you want us out.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

grubblesnert

everyone talking crap on an unsubstaintiated story by the OP. tisk tisk

Unsubstantiated?

www.examiner.com...
www.washingtonpost.com... .html
topekasnews.com...

tisk tisk indeed

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Dern you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You beat me to it........

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter
reply to post by boymonkey74

That's exactly the opposite of what Bill Nye did bringing up religion at a school.

The article doesn't say how that quote was brought up. He could have been answering a question and that quote was the best way to explain it. Seeing the reaction of the people there he should have dumbed it down more.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Beakman's World was always better!!

BW Gravity
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwG0nLwQcDA
www.youtube.com...

edit on 4-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: video change to one more relevant

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

c'mon, we all know that the moon doesn't emit its own light. it's so bright because of those damn twilight vampires living on its surface, reflecting the sunlight. right?
RIGHT?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Riffrafter
reply to post by olaru12

Aww c'mon....

How can anyone boo Bill Nye the Science guy?!

My kids and I used to *love* watching his show together.

It really fueled their interests in all things science and helped them to figure out how the world worked.

And they boo'd him about the moon reflecting sunlight?

Sigh...

No one booed him for saying the moon reflects the sunlight...

They booed him for taking a totally unprovoked and uncalled for shot at Christianity.

Those people were there for a science lecture, not a - "This is why I think you're stupid" lecture.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

olaru12
www.thinkatheist.com...

Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun.

I know that not all Texans reflect this type of belief in strict Biblical dogma, but it's prevalent enough for me to leave my family farm, lease it out and move away from Texas.

It's not really the strict adherence to biblical precepts, but the prevalent arrogant religious attitudes that prompted my move.

When you first meet someone in Texas, one of their first questions is "What church do you go to" That question determines your social standing in their eyes. When I mention that I'm a proud member of the church of the sub genius; you can imagine the look of absolute revulsion on their faces.

www.subgenius.com...
edit on 4-11-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no strict Biblical Dogma that says the moon emits its own light. As a matter of Biblical knowledge it teaches that the moon does reflect the sun. that is why the glory of the moon is less than that of the glory of the sun and the Sun is referred to as a Him/his and the moon a her. A wife always reflects the glory of her husband (well until of late with modern feminist movement which is at the root of what pretty much destroyed the US).

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

buster2010

SasquatchHunter
reply to post by boymonkey74

That's exactly the opposite of what Bill Nye did bringing up religion at a school.

The article doesn't say how that quote was brought up. He could have been answering a question and that quote was the best way to explain it. Seeing the reaction of the people there he should have dumbed it down more.

This originally ocuured sometime before 2007 the examiner link that the OP posted on page2 actually has a link to an interview with the original reporter. Turns out it was a story sensationalised WHAT A SHOCK instead of a hunch of crazy Christians screaming it was one lady within in close proximity to Bill as in sitting next him getting up and saying in a normal voice "we believe in God" and possibly a few others leaving although that seems more like an afterthought.

Your right it doesn't say that was it a Q&A session maybe but I think I can extrapolate from him quoting Genesis word for word it was something he prepared.

My real question now is why the OP would post a link to the think atheist blogspot and not the more factual Examiner... Hmmmmmm.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

benrl

Its almost as if those in charge of education want to keep the populous dumb...

Well now that would be downright scandalous

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
This is such atheistic propaganda it makes me sick! Everyday I am becoming more and more repulsed by the brainwashed commenters here at ATS. So anti-Christian and just plain dumb. If you all really believe this story for what it is than you only prove my point. This is a sad piece of trash indoctrination by your blind atheist shepherds. EAT IT UP GOATS.!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join