It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye Boo'd In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
www.thinkatheist.com...

Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun.

I know that not all Texans reflect this type of belief in strict Biblical dogma, but it's prevalent enough for me to leave my family farm, lease it out and move away from Texas.

It's not really the strict adherence to biblical precepts, but the prevalent arrogant religious attitudes that prompted my move.

When you first meet someone in Texas, one of their first questions is "What church do you go to" That question determines your social standing in their eyes. When I mention that I'm a proud member of the church of the sub genius; you can imagine the look of absolute revulsion on their faces.

www.subgenius.com...
edit on 4-11-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+66 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Forgive my ignorance, but where in the bible (or in any Christian teaching) does it say the moon emits it's own light?

Is this a religion matter, or a "stupid people" matter?

+30 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

These type of people are holding us all back as a specie..I honestly want the rapture to happen so they are taken away.
The stupidity of people and the ignorance of religion sickens me.

+47 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Well Bill Nye is just talking crazy. Everybody knows the Sun goes down at night so how can the Moon be reflecting sun light.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

It is both read the article someone shouted "We believe in God" when he was stating the facts.

+7 more 
link   
:mouth agape in disbelief:

I . . . I know there's exceptionally stupid people out there, dumb beyond comprehension, but this . . . Dear gawd, why won't we let them secede??

link   
reply to post by olaru12

Aww c'mon....

How can anyone boo Bill Nye the Science guy?!

My kids and I used to *love* watching his show together.

It really fueled their interests in all things science and helped them to figure out how the world worked.

And they boo'd him about the moon reflecting sunlight?

Sigh...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

The moon tells me a secret, my confidant : As full and bright as I am, this light is not my own, and a million light reflections...pass over me....It's source is bright and endless, She resuscitates the hopeless, without Her we are lifeless satellites drifting...

- Tool, Reflection

Even musicians know that the light of the Moon is only a reflection of what it steals from the Sun...It's amazing what kind of lessons the heavens can teach us when we learn to apply metaphors and analogies.

link   
reply to post by olaru12

Me things that is an over exaggeration of Texans in general.
Please remember Diversity is the rule of law today.
We can't all be metros. cutting slack works both ways...don't it?

link   
reply to post by olaru12

As a native Texan and lifelong resident of the state, I can tell that "You are so right!" We raise some real brainiacs down here in the lone star state.

I too thought about leaving the state but then I realized that at this rate, it won't be long before their heads explode and maybe we can turn this state blue again. Go Wendy Davis!

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Hey, don't mess with texas... Its not nice to pick on retards.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I don't think this is a phenomenon unique to Texas. Very scary when you sit down and really think about it.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Well, I'll be....there is a biblical verse for this topic.

Suppose it also says somewhere that God gave them many light bulbs in case a few go out.

Just because the moon reflects light from the Sun, does not mean God didn't create it. Why dont they understand that?

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I think the article is misleading. It doesnt seem like anyone rejected the fact that the moon reflects light more likely the way he presented this information by quoting the Bible and declaring it wrong.
There was really no reason for him to talk about The Bible at a science lecture. He was obviously looking for a reaction and he got one.

If you search Bill Nye on Google some of the suggestions
"Bill Nye is a douche
tool
jerk"
Hmmmm....
edit on 26pm26qupm302013-11-04T19:07:26-06:000707 by SasquatchHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Exactly, science and god go hand in hand but some people just don't have the education (Or they were educated by religious people) to understand this.
Keep religion out of schools and the world would be a better place.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

That's exactly the opposite of what Bill Nye did bringing up religion at a school.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
There is probably very fundamental church in town with a literal interpretation of the Bible.

Most Texan's aren't like that but they are christian. I am always uncomfortable having to tell someone who invites me to church that I don't go to church.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Texas writes the textbooks, people.

They write the textbooks.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Kinda makes you wonder what they think lunar eclipses are all about?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Its almost as if those in charge of education want to keep the populous dumb...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join