It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Also, I do not "control" my son. He learned at an early age what is nutritious and how to bring those things to the table. He wants to eat a pizza, he can. He has everything here to make it, or he can go buy it.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

they could be planting gardens on school grounds and teaching the lessons right there ... but, that's our tax dollars at work, isn't it?

That's what they do here, and are starting to do in other city like communities.
There are lots of stories of people taking back their health

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

The schools cannot address, the parents don't, so the tax payer is left with the bill
well, you could choose to NOT be a taxpayer just as easily

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Haha well, yes I am sure there are ways.
But then you cannot complain about the schools, roads, the fire department, etc LOL. And try owning a house without paying taxes.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by flipflop

oh, oh, can i volunteer to write THOSE letters ????

those who teach, teach what they know and that says alot.
(not directed to 'professional' teachers solely, hint, hint)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Biigs

and see, these are 'fighting' words right here.

id consider a very poor diet a form of abuse so why should too much of bad food be any different?
because your interpretation of a 'poor diet' might just be a healthy choice for that particular child.

you would never see my daughter eat bread or anything made from yeast.
your image of what is a 'form of abuse' would have been an extremely unhealthy interference in her life.

she is allergic to 'yeast' ... so, items that you and the school find 'nutritious' would have KILLed her.
and, THAT's a huge red flag in my book.

Bread is terrible for you.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie
reply to post by Honor93

Haha well, yes I am sure there are ways.
But then you cannot complain about the schools, roads, the fire department, etc LOL. And try owning a house without paying taxes.
very poor deflection, dear, very poor indeed.

those taxes are in a separate class of taxation ... school didn't do you much good either, eh ?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by LightOrange

We used to live in a country where you were free to eat what you wanted... get fat if you wanted... whatever.

You can't do that any more.... some busybody has to crawl up your arse and bite you.

We used to live in a country where you were free to feed your children poison.

Now when you do is "The State" "crawls up your arse" and sends you a letter. When removed from the envelope, the letter -- obviously -- jumps out, holds you at gunpoint, and raids your fridge of all of your unhealthy foods.

Dem commies, I tell ya.

Please get a grip.

Get a grip?
The State is the entity that is not only approving 'Frankenfoods', but giving Monsanto a 'Get out of jail free card'!!!
You would be better to wake up, than telling me to get a grip!

You were just begging for stars with this completely off-topic response.

Complete straw man.

Now I REALLY think you need to get a grip.

Stay on topic or start your own. Monsanto and GMOs and whathaveyous have nothing to do with this thread whatsoever.
edit on 6-9-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

That may be, but every time you buy anything, you are paying taxes. It doesn't matter, you ARE paying taxes. own a house? You are paying the school. Go to toll booths? You are paving the roads.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

Bread is terrible for you
i guess that depends on the bread.
it's worked well for me and for many years of low finances, bread was a staple food in our house (before my daughter of course)

i can remember my bro's fav of pbutter & banana sandwich
i ate 6 or more pieces of 'ketchup' bread after a good workout at the arena.

and this goes back to ... no 2 bodies are the SAME, ever.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Do you know what the brain actually burns?

Glucose.

And you cant have to much of that can you? /Sarcasm

The human body converts other foods into glucose for the brain to use. People on zero carb diets don't have their brain shut down, the body has the ability to convert protein into glucose.

Unless your diabetic - Which is caused by high sugar diets.

The thread is about schools sending letters to parents concerning the body weight of their child. You connected the foods that are eaten and exercise with the proper operation of the brain.

And why did i do that? Because poor diets and lack of exercise can make it difficult for children to get into the right mood for learning. Simple really.

Hawking doesn't get any physical exercise to speak of, so physical exercise is not necessary to brain function.

And again, Hawking isnt living off of a diet of Mcdonalds so i fail to see your point. Hawking is also an adult, not a child. Big difference as his brain is already developed while a child's is not.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

school didn't do you much good either, eh ?
Says the one that I educated yesterday about EBT? LOL

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

Monsanto and GMOs and whathaveyous have nothing to do with this thread whatsoever
Really ???
just who do you think provides these "nutritious" school lunches ??
you know, those same lunches the kids don't like and won't eat anyway.
so, since they won't eat the food provided, how are they 'feeding' their brains, at school ??

ya know, way back when, we smoked on campus, had soda machines on campus and we had classroom gardens ... and ya know what else ?? no where near as many 'fatties'.

"choices" and learning how to make good ones is the crux of this issue.
school has failed at that endeavor for more years than i'd care to count.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Honor93

That may be, but every time you buy anything, you are paying taxes. It doesn't matter, you ARE paying taxes. own a house? You are paying the school. Go to toll booths? You are paving the roads.
and just what does that have to do with 'education' or 'educators' not teaching how to make good CHOICES ???

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Never mind. That was Homer. Not Honor.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

What? Taxes in the school, that feed children? Where children spend 8 hours per day? Are you serious?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Interesting question, if you live here in the South (GA) more than half of the population are overweight by national guideline standards.

So here in my neck of the woods is not "fat letters" send to children that do not meet the national guidelines on healthy weight because the parents are also overweight.

Then who is to blame for the weight epidemic in the nation, the people, or the available food choices that are provided by our also supposedly regulated food supplies in the nation.

I think, sending letters is very insulting.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

since when does 'school' teach EBT ????

oh yeah, that's the real goal, isn't it ?

besides, someone who doesn't use EBT wouldn't necessarily know what it covers, would i ?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Honor93

What? Taxes in the school, that feed children? Where children spend 8 hours per day? Are you serious?
huh ?
not following your train of thought at all, in this post.
care to expand ?

"property taxes" benefit schools and school lunch programs.
no, i don't pay property taxes.

income taxes support Obamacare and this unreasonable intrusion into our lives.
and no, i won't be paying those either.

the 'choice' is yours.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

since when does 'school' teach EBT ????

oh yeah, that's the real goal, isn't it ?

besides, someone who doesn't use EBT wouldn't necessarily know what it covers, would i ?

Wow! Well EBT covers seeds. Seeds that grow food. There are a LOT of SNAP gardens. If a person is on EBT, doesn't it make sense to grow their own if they can? It only takes so many seeds before you have your own stock. Plus, what about making a little money maker by selling the excess, and getting off of EBT all together. Did you know about these programs? SNAP gardens are taught in cities like Detroit.
edit on 6-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join