It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Transfiguration of Miley Cyrus

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Looks like next harvest will be even better...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

While I appreciate the thought you put into your thesis, there's a general problem with your logic. So Miley Cyrus was a Disney youth; like Britney Spears before her, Christina Aguilera and others, she began her career as a teenie bopper conforming to the moral behaviors expected for a girl of that age, and, upon reaching adulthood, let loose her sexual side. Now, you seem to be arguing that Disney is behind all this. Seeing Disney has only produced a handfull of pop-stars, they're obviously not engineering this cultural shift: the pop stars they do produce merely follow whats already popular. Ok, so lets say Disney with a host of other media corporations is deliberately widening the cultural envelope, allowing what had been "repressed" to become expressed. How is one to understand this?

In your opinion, this is a...

willful and purposeful design of malfeasance

So, are you saying these people are Satanists? Or, rather, from your perspective, it is "malfeasance", whereas from their perspective, it may just be a difference in philosophy?

This is part of the problem we have between conservatives and liberals: we attribute false intentions to the other. Liberals are "trying to corrupt" our youth, implying that they are trying to cause harm, instead of meaning to enhance the natural joys of living by challenging cultural premises which aren't that morally obvious i.e. the need to bridle sexuality.

At the same time, I can find sympathy with your view; I think there is a "thin line" between the allowances we see today, and outright decadence. And it's very easy to cross over to the other side.

The guise of innocence worn by these teen idols in the genesis of their careers is actually a Trojan Horse by which parents swing wide the gates and allow complete entry into the homes and hearts of innocence found in the living and bedrooms of their susceptible and easily influenced children.

Yeah, that's simply not true. Kids who grew up watching Hanna Montana would be drawn into the mainstream culture regardless of Miley Cyrus. The allure already exists; there are thousands of other vectors which could entangle the minds of youths. It's not necessary to assume that Miley Cyrus is somehow a stratagem of Disney to corrupt youth. Simply turn on the radio station, put it to MTV, or watch the plethora of possible TV shows, from gossip girls, to pretty little liars, to who knows what else.

that resonates in their lives as a sort of “super-school” experience, where everyone marvels after the “it” girl and follows her comings and goings as if scripture.

There is something nefarious about this. I find it ironic that while we work so hard to end bullying in schools, we have TV shows like 'pretty little liars' and movies ad nauseum, that depict and damn near glorify the awesomeness of being popular.

So, we caught in the thicket, you could say. A Christian morality which is innately conservative and "iffy" and "tight-assed" about so many things, would probably do a better job producing a child who would be more sensitive to kids in school, whereas this pagan ethic of lets have it both ways, perhaps makes matters a bit ambivalent, a bit complicated, for our youth.

I'm not saying It can't be done. I personally like a little trash talk, nonsense, and debauchery once in awhile, but If I knew for certain that it was causing more harm than good, it would be necessary for me to reign it in a little.

This cultural shift appears to me to be informed by Eastern philosophy; the dissolution of the ego - if that remains our highest concern - can allow us to enjoy bits and pieces of both worlds. Miley Cyrus pre-puberty should be playful, goofy, sarcastic, silly - but not raunchy. That time of her life, as for all kids growing up, should be a period of innocence. On the other hand, when we grow up, we begin experiencing our own innate sexuality. Should we contain it? This is what the Hebrew scriptures advise.

As said, eastern spirituality seems to underlie much of the west's thinking with regard to our cultural evolution. The thinking may go like this: all things physical can negative affect you; but if you become mindful of what you're doing, you can experience the energy of the physical without losing awareness of the eternal now. If, for example, we raise a generation with this sort of cosmic awareness, morality would survive. Awareness of contexts would help people determine what the right course of action would be; a TV show, a song on the radio - they're there for pumping you up, to make you feel alive. But they needn't undermine your sense of right and wrong. A kid in school being constantly reminded by teachers and parents that bullying is wrong, will have the awareness to resist the urge to bully. Hence, there will come a time when teaching awareness (whether that be through Yoga, or some integralist system) will be a central tenet of our educational systems

edit on 29-8-2013 by Astrocyte because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

I agree that she seems to have sold her soul. It was only after I watched several videos of celebrities actually talking about "selling their souls to the devil" that I actually believed it. Most notably was Bob Dylan. Another was Beyoncé crying while she spoke about her doing it. And there are countless others, many of whom are rappers and some who are not.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Why are you guys so surprised at a female turning into a skank once she comes of age? This is America...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

she is trying too hard.. but she is a "teen".. i was a teen and didn't act like a complete idiot.. but that is an excuse people use.

I liked her before she "lost" her mind.... she looked prettier and attractive then... now.... well... she looks like yesterdays dinner after I eat.
edit on 29-8-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

Bobb,

Exceptional post, excellent use of language and poetry to address a serious concern in modern society.

You are 100% correct, it is intentional.

Disney => Nickelodean => MTV (all owned by the same company) take your children from birth to early 20's throgh the gambit described in the OP perfectly. If you refuse to "play the game" (see Raven Simon) you will fall away as a star, if you play the game (see X-Tina Auguillera; Brittny Spears, Miley Cyrus) you become a global superstar.

... we are watching you Selena Gomez your next up!

Throw in ESPN for the men and you have total mental monopoly on an endlessly increasing pop culture worshipping nation.

God Bless,

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
i was appalled by the performance and I am no prude! this reminded me of something I saw recently. I was at the local "Costco". There was a young girl and her older brother. He looked about 15 yrs old, she looked about 9 or 10,obviously preteen.

she was wearing a shirt that said in big letters "shut up bitch", I was shocked that some one that young would be wearing that, and who bought it for her, what was wrong with her parent[s], that they let her out the door like that????

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Did anyone mention that good ole Walt was a 33rd degree mason? according to Albert Pike (also 33rd), at this level, when they speak of "God" they mean "lucifer".

there are many vids exposing the overt satanism in msm media... her hair and tongue basically are celebrating satanism and if she's like Beyonce, who openly admits to demon possession (sasha fierce) that enables her to do and sing in ways she could not do herself, then she's just another sell-out, and worse, may even be part of some mind-control program (anyone remember Britney's melt-down?) from MK-ultra... like Cathy O'brian.

these celebs turn to drugs because they have demonic attachments they have wittingly or unwittingly agreed to. Salvation through Jesus Christ is the only proven method to save someone like her and give her peace of mind.

entire communities have defeated evil with intent prayer to God: Transformations 1

youtu.be...

ufo abductees also have stopped their abductions calling on Christ (MUFON Joseph Jordan).

vimeo.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
You sure she isn't just trying to appear more "grown up"?
Justin Bieber is doing it, Brittany Spears did, Lindsey Lohan did.. I don't think you should blame Miley and other figures like her for other people being too impressionable, yo.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

So, your entire rant boils down to: if our children see biological entities engaging in biological activities...it will cause the destruction of our society?

Funny. I eat a bowl of cereal every morning RIGHT IN FRONT of my two year old daughter.

Her head has yet to explode.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

i was appalled by the performance and I am no prude!

If you are American or British you are a prude, no matter how anti-prudish you believe yourself to be.

It's hardwired in our DNA.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Verum1quaere
her hair and tongue basically are celebrating satanism

I didn't realize odd hairstyles could be associated with Satanism; Do you have some type of precedent or source to back that up, or is this more a "These damn kids with their crazy, Satan-worshiping hairstyles" type of thing?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BBobb
As a man of faith

Therefore, your opinion is rendered redundant.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisterMahound

Originally posted by BBobb
As a man of faith

Therefore, your opinion is rendered redundant.

Of course, that's only your opinion. Round and round we go.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueMessiah

Wow, it took four pages before someone linked to the answer...

V.C. is spot on with this one...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Oh I know the tragedy.
What next she will get a butterfly tattoo in a certain place and people will become all shocked. OH noz milley say it aint so.
I mean! I have not seen a female without that whole moth turning into a shy yet beautiful yet naughty butterfly, ego, personality, with you know that whole monarch programing in like....like....well...

Well in like a few days actually as its a pretty common thing to see in females, butterfly tattoos included. But the whole thing kind of like Miley Cyrus, is extremely common so common in fact that you would not notice her if she did not have a small army of people making and selling her image everywhere in the hopes of banking on it. No doubt if people are talking about this, her PR people have done there job.

edit on 30-8-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
To all of these people who are saying "she's an adult now, so it's ok."

Really.

How old are her fans? How old are the little girls who listen to her music, watched that performance, and are a little more sexualized now because of it?

I feel like the people in power in the music, TV and film industry are perverts, and perverts want to spread their perversity. Pedophilia is the new thing they are trying to normalize. Miley may be of the age of consent, but most of her fans probably aren't. And while I don't believe people robotically obey everything they see on TV, it certainly has an impact on their decision-making.

"They" want your kids to be sexier. To be more open and available and willing to their advances. Whether or not there is some Beta sex slave mind control cult at work or not is irrelevant. The fact is that it is happening, this desensitization and corruption. After the criticism and shock wears off, this kind of thing will seem normal to people, and they will have the next outrage dreamed up.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
In my opinion, all parents should be praising her.

She made twerking uncool, white and try-hardy in 30 seconds flat.

15 years of Hip Hop trash culture destroyed in the blink of an eye.

Trust me, no-one is twerking at school today.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

"They" are not some nameless pedo ring. "They" are simply every marketer out there.

The only reason marketers want to sex everyone up. Is it makes it easier to sell things, and you do not have to be very inventive.

Remember marketers are the laziest people on the face of the planet. Lazy + Greedy = Evil.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I recall the threads and comments on here when she left her show and then grew up a little. Just about everyone here saying that she was washed up and would not be able to take that innocent personality into the rest of her career.

Well, you were right, and she knew it as well. I don't like the contrast in her new persona, but there would not be one thing this girl could do in her industry unless she went 180. Now , she is being hated for the very thing that people said she would not be able to do....

I think it is really her 'fans' themselves that helped to create the no-win situation she is in, and her backers analyzed that very well and sold her a bag of goods to take advantage of her.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join