It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Transfiguration of Miley Cyrus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Oh so thats it. And here I thought it was common for child stars to try and break out of being child stars and do something shocking to show they are adults now and not kids anymore.

link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Ha! Funny. Well, for the record, I'm not a fan, and I've never personally heard her before this, I just know this trend in these young girl idols and felt the call to make a commentary on the social implications.

PS: Use a spoon, it hurts more!

link   
How do you expect people to act when this is the culture people buy?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
Oh so thats it. And here I thought it was common for child stars to try and break out of being child stars and do something shocking to show they are adults now and not kids anymore.

You might be right, of course, but I feel it's naive to believe that these young pop stars actually exercise any autonomy over these decisions. She didn't call the shots on this, she didn't choose her wardrobe or the backing dancers or the set design or the choreography. Believe me, I've worked in Hollywood. She doesn't get the say so, she gets the told so...

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Let me tell you a story.

A man becomes a super star because he has some singing ability.

He has a daughter. This daughter is raised with a silver spoon in her mouth.

Disney takes notice as they always do and create a promotional honey pot for money.

Teen breaks free from Disney and starts acting out, since she has no real rules or sense of accomplishment.

This is the story of Miley Cyrus and her problem is not the music industry.

Her problem, is that she's a spoiled little brat, whose parents didn't do their due diligence.

~Tenth

Well I certainly don't disagree with your premise, but the fact that we see this same biographical narrative repeated time and again lends some credence to my argument, unless you think parental abandonment of responsible is the sole cause for all such falls...

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

unless you think parental abandonment of responsible is the sole cause for all such falls...

Take a look at any of the stars who have had major issues and two thinks are present.

1. Divorced, fighting parents ( in private and the media)
2. Rich, populist, celebrity parents whose parenting takes a back seat to career advancement.

I do firmly believe a lot of it is due to parental misconduct, or lack of conduct at all. Yes Hollywood and the Music industry is in the business of corrupting youth for the sake of profit, but they can't do that to children unless the parents are on board.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

Well I certainly don't disagree with your premise, but the fact that we see this same biographical narrative repeated time and again lends some credence to my argument, unless you think parental abandonment of responsible is the sole cause for all such falls...

I think abandonment is one of the main causes of the pattern, that along with not really having a childhood, and being treated like an object.

Child actors only have so much say in their "careers", so I think when they finally break out of it they go freaking crazy. I mean how many of these child actors actually stop performing and go to school?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Teen breaks free from Disney and starts acting out, since she has no real rules or sense of accomplishment.

No, I think Disney IS the problem. How many Disney girls have been "transformed" over the years? Lindsy Lohan, Britney Spears, Demi Lovato etc..
Im still holding my breath for Selena Gomez.. Oh wait, she fell for Justina Bieberman, that was her crash

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Completely agree. I think the exception that I take to some of the replies I've seen are that this is simply a young performer growing up and expressing herself as an adult which entails a flaunting of sexuality, etc. I just find this to be a bit foolish. As I replied to one such fellow, it must be understood that it's powers behind the curtains that are pulling the strings of said performance. Miley didn't go to her manager or agent and say, I want to do something raw and uninhibited! I want to come out! No, that's non-sense. She was told what was going to happen. Her behavior was trained (the tongue sticking out bit, the entire choreography...the strange butt sniffing thing she did at one point to one of the dancers, the foam finger and its use as an erotic prop). This is all staged by others who understand the power of its shock value on a former teen angel, as it were. It's the stark transition from one to the next that captures the headlines (as it is right now) and increases revenue. I'm simply saying that it's old and formulaic, and it walks the fanbase down a likewise path where they see the descent from purity into this behavior and, like lemmings, follow accordingly. The whole society is brought down as a result. As I mentioned in my article, being a faithful man (which means I believe wholly in God and thereby God's counterpart in evil), I see design in this. But absolutely, there has to be complicity by the parents lest it would not occur at all (and said star would be shunned by the industry and quickly forgotten).

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I am not sure, was she trying to outdo daddy on his Dancing With The Stars appearance?

In all seriousness Miley's performance disgusted me and what a way to display the downward spiral of the fabric of society. Please Miley save it for the bedroom not to display to kids that think you are a wholesome role model that they once watched.

Oh and she did not seem to be one bit ashamed of her performance and carried on with gusto. I am surprised she didn't strip down further and have sex with, who was that guy anyway, was it Robin Thick and was he in on the act too?

edit on 8/28/2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

By the way here is a video of Miley at the CNN Heros tribute from Dec 2011, my my what a fall...there is no climb here.

edit on 8/28/2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by BBobb

Oh dude, (or dudette!) we are so on the same wavelength, I was about to ask you for a spork! (For the uninitiated, a spork is an eating utensil that is a combination of a spoon and a fork) I have a high pain threshhold apparently, and besides, I can't quite shake the sound of her squawk out of my eardrums retinas, if such a thing is possible...

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Oh dude, (or dudette!) we are so on the same wavelength, I was about to ask you for a spork! (For the uninitiated, a spork is an eating utensil that is a combination of a spoon and a fork) I have a high pain threshhold apparently, and besides, I can't quite shake the sound of her squawk out of my eardrums retinas, if such a thing is possible...

Ha! Dude, by the way. Also, 10 years Army, so I'm oh so well versed in the spork...lol. My reference to the spoon, incidentally, was an old throwback to Kevin Costner's terrible (and I mean TERRIBLE) version of Robin Hood which I believe was called Prince of Thieves. The Sheriff (villain) threatens to cut someone's heart out with a spoon and one of his henchmen asks, why a spoon? He replies, "because it will hurt more you twit!" Ha.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

I'm ok with social commentary and sorry about the "crybaby" comment... but I think Maslo said it best....

When it comes to social conditioning and media, glorification of violence and stupidity is a lot bigger issue than sex can ever be.

Europeans have a much more lenient attitude towards media sex and they seem more conservative in sexual matters than the uptight Americans. Forbidden fruit perhaps...

edit on 28-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
reply to post by BBobb

I'm ok with social commentary and sorry about the "crybaby" comment... but I think Maslo said it best....

When it comes to social conditioning and media, glorification of violence and stupidity is a lot bigger issue than sex can ever be.

Europeans have a much more lenient attitude towards media sex and they seem more conservative in sexual matters than the uptight Americans. Forbidden fruit perhaps...

edit on 28-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

No worries. Well, I certainly agree, but I think this goes beyond just sex, because it's debauchery. Sex is sex, but debaucherous behavior has ramifications beyond sex alone. Also, this has more to do than just sexual flagrancy, it has to do with a teen idol (founded in innocence and established thereof with a fanbase built upon the perception of that purity) making a radical and unexpected transformation for the sake of shock value, but I truly believe the effect upon the youth who follow her is actually traumatic. They're left confused and shaken, and that can have serious effects on the psyche that I'm not certain we fully understand as a society. I'll check out your site.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I agree with you but, and there's always a but, she well...um...don't want to try and evade the censors so I'll just say this as plainly and concisely as I can. She can't sing for #. There! And that's just the start of her problems but probably not one of the smaller ones. I'm not a hater as I love music but judging from that live video, she makes everything except music!

No wait. Miley Cyrus puts the Sick back into Musick. Hey, I'm a foreigner, my spelling is notwithstanding intoxicating social lubricants, far from perfectomundo! (smiles inanely)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

There's only 1 thing wrong with your recollection of that film...it was hilariously funny! The spoon joke was the icing on the cake! Egads man, where is thine humo(u)r?

ETA: And before I derail the thread with non-complimentary Miley Cyrus comments, I'll bow out. Sorry for the noise!
edit on 28/8/13 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 28/8/13 by LightSpeedDriver because: Context

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Let me tell you a story.

A man becomes a super star because he has some singing ability.

He has a daughter. This daughter is raised with a silver spoon in her mouth.

Disney takes notice as they always do and create a promotional honey pot for money.

This is the story of Miley Cyrus and her problem is not the music industry.

Her problem, is that she's a spoiled little brat, whose parents didn't do their due diligence.

~Tenth

Gotta WHOLE HEARTED Disagree with you Tenth...

Miley might act out but this was planned by her managers and handlers. Miley didn't *poof* strip her clothes off from what they had planned for her and be unique and wild this was already COMPLETELY planned...

To go one further the same ones that got her in Disney (who knows maybe Disney itself) were looking at how to keep that now teenage/young adult audience interested in their product and what better then a titalation by the talentless young sex object. Which would be harder for her to show some talent or take off the clothes?

Rules? The rules are you do what we tell you are your lifestyle is down now Take your clothes off and prance!
And look at how good it worked! Even bad publicity...

Now you want to talk about parents with due diligence that should have kept their kids at home instead of going to all the Miley/Hanna Montana concerts and buying all the CRAPPY Chinese made merchandise.

But WHOOPS they did it again with Britney and they will do it again with the next one.

They know how to sell us crap and some lessons are never learned...

edit on 28-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Completely agree. I think the exception that I take to some of the replies I've seen are that this is simply a young performer growing up and expressing herself as an adult which entails a flaunting of sexuality, etc. I just find this to be a bit foolish. As I replied to one such fellow, it must be understood that it's powers behind the curtains that are pulling the strings of said performance. Miley didn't go to her manager or agent and say, I want to do something raw and uninhibited! I want to come out! No, that's non-sense. She was told what was going to happen. Her behavior was trained (the tongue sticking out bit, the entire choreography...the strange butt sniffing thing she did at one point to one of the dancers, the foam finger and its use as an erotic prop). This is all staged by others who understand the power of its shock value on a former teen angel, as it were. It's the stark transition from one to the next that captures the headlines (as it is right now) and increases revenue. I'm simply saying that it's old and formulaic, and it walks the fanbase down a likewise path where they see the descent from purity into this behavior and, like lemmings, follow accordingly. The whole society is brought down as a result. As I mentioned in my article, being a faithful man (which means I believe wholly in God and thereby God's counterpart in evil), I see design in this. But absolutely, there has to be complicity by the parents lest it would not occur at all (and said star would be shunned by the industry and quickly forgotten).

I found your lemmings statement ironic with the whole Disney thing ( only a recent discovery )

I tend to agree that again the parents have failed in their job to raise her to a standard where she feels she is worth more than parading around like that. It's not just trying to be an adult I don't see many adults going quite so far but in order to stand out more than others these girls will need to be more 'atrocious ' than the last , even more so if they lack in the talent department She wants fame and notoriety no matter if that is positive or negative . No management can force someone to behave that way if they do not want to. She is loving this negative attention. We need to ignore her full stop and someone tell her there is more to life than fame.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

Dunno, I never got mostly naked and danced in front of a crowd as a kid. Guess I'm just a puritan, I didn't even drink until I was 18, and I didn't party. Yep, I may as well be Amish.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

I actually would never watch the VMAs, but I saw about it on yahoo so checked it out and it was worth it, it was interesting and this 'scandalous event' probably got them more attention and publicity then they would have. I dont have kids so, whatever, if you dont want your kids watching or doing something, talk to them thats your responsibility. I personally dont mind scantily clad women dancing, and the fact that shes a former child star and upsets people like you might make me enjoy this situation that much better. Sorry for being rude but people are gonna do what they want to do.

She herself is growing up now, and a lot of kids her age around that time are experimenting and just getting involved with 'partying' and stuff. It seems they just want to be weird and have fun, definitely a circus vibe, and above all its entertainment. Maybe some fault lies with culture and parents, that their children are able to obsess and idolize entertainers and become so consumed with entertainment.
edit on 28-8-2013 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join