It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are atheists mentally ill? The Impact of Religious Practice on Social Stability

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
atheists are actually able to handle the idea there is no god, no heaven, and no devil, all the while being able to function socially, as well as in a well-adjusted family setting. critical-thought is as strong as human passion, letting neither interfere to much, or too little, in our relationships with others.

We also don't wave bibles in people's faces, whitter on about sin and above all we don't have hypocritical preachers on TV who claim to have healed the leg of a mechanic in Wyoming and who now want all their viewers to send in $100 so that their good works can continue.
And above all there is no atheist version of Pat Robertson. For which I am very, very grateful.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I don't like the title or the tone of the article but i do believe it is true to some extent.

And is also logical in part, since religious people usually don't drink, smoke or do drugs and maybe eat better too.

They are supported mentally by their religion, it doesn't matter how many holes there are in their stories and no matter how big the lack of logic is, they are supported by it. They often also take care of each other as a community better, so based on this, I think these claims are true.

Does that mean that the religious stuff is all true, or true in the sense it is presented to us? Not at all.

It also doesn't mean it is the path everyone must choose, at all.

edit on 17-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by dominicus
Having been an Atheist once, and now a Christian Mystic, I have come to the following conclusion.

Majority of Atheists are head strong analytical logic-based individuals. We need people to build infrastructure (engineers), Surgeons (to be emotionally cold and focus on the job), mechanics, etc.

Majority of Spiritual folks are intuitively strong (since intuition is used to connect with God). Someone has to remind the others that if you go within and find your soul, there's a set of Universal morals/ethics already built within.

If you're too Head strong, you can become a cold narciccistic psychopath. If you're to intuitive based, then you become this free spirit lazy hippy drunk in spiritual bliss walking around not caring about a damn thing.

The 2 need balance. Too much of one or the other and bad things become of you

Lovely observation, and I would love to hear more about your Christian Mysticism.

link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

atheists are actually able to handle the idea there is no god, no heaven, and no devil, all the while being able to function socially, as well as in a well-adjusted family setting. critical-thought is as strong as human passion, letting neither interfere to much, or too little, in our relationships with others.

We also don't wave bibles in people's faces, whitter on about sin and above all we don't have hypocritical preachers on TV who claim to have healed the leg of a mechanic in Wyoming and who now want all their viewers to send in $100 so that their good works can continue.
And above all there is no atheist version of Pat Robertson. For which I am very, very grateful.

But you do have a rise in Militant Atheists, who are hell-bent(pun intended) on pronouncing their own views, their own Church-less groups, meeting places, their own version of the God-less Bible, Preachers in Dawkins, Harris,Hitchens, who make millions from their books sales, conferences, videos, merch sales....

It's funny how standing on the sidelines, the two don't look that different to me

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by NeoParadigm

On the other hand, being around Christians all the time is not good for the blood pressure either.

Can you spot one just by looking at them?

I can usually pick them out of a crowd.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

wrabbit, thanks, I shudder before reading the post, it doesn't feel good to be criticized because of your religion or lack there of, and I am just as guilty sometimes.,

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by gotya

You know that is not what I meant, and these people are not Christians.

I am not sure what they are

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

But you do have a rise in Militant Atheists, who are hell-bent(pun intended) on pronouncing their own views, their own Church-less groups, meeting places, their own version of the God-less Bible, Preachers in Dawkins, Harris,Hitchens, who make millions from their books sales, conferences, videos, merch sales....

It's funny how standing on the sidelines, the two don't look that different to me

I've yet to meet a militant atheist, as in my opinion they're not out to convert anyone. And Dawkins would be the last person to describe himself as a 'preacher'. Oh and Hitchens is dead.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

reply to post by gotya

You're right that was a cheap shot. Those people are the true nut jobs.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

But that is an example of I what I meant.

So what were you trying to say?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Basically this topic was in response to the religious people have a lower IQ topic,

Which is just as ridiculous an observation as this one.

List of Christian thinkers in science
en.wikipedia.org...
These people paved the way and honestly if they were still alive I dare say they would have accomplished more today in the fields, then today's scientist.

A Ranking of the Most Influential Scientists, Past and Present,
www.adherents.com...

youtu.be...

Who imparts wisdom and knowledge?

A History of Scientists who were Christians

edit on 113131p://bSaturday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 113131p://bSaturday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

I've yet to meet a militant atheist, as in my opinion they're not out to convert anyone. And Dawkins would be the last person to describe himself as a 'preacher'. Oh and Hitchens is dead.

You must miss A LOT of the message traffic on this site. Wow... The Christian or general religion bash threads often roll in at 2-3 PER DAY almost EVERY day of every week. As often as not, they aren't passive by any stretch but very actively hostile and aggressive with a very hard edge. I guess it's one of those things you don't notice when in agreement?

However...a large number of us out here DO notice the anti-religion hate and it really just blows all respect for the people posting the filth. There is PLENTY of it though. Almost every day.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The Veritas Forum: The Language of God (Francis Collins)

Francis Collins

"The Language of God: Intellectual Reflections of a Christian Geneticist"
February 4, 2008, at The University of California, Berkeley

Presentation by Dr. Francis Collins, head of the Human Genome Project and director of the National Human Genome Research Institute. Dr. Collins presents a case for harmony between faith in science and faith in God. He also shares about his personal intellectual and spiritual journey from agnosticism, to atheism, and to Christianity.

youtu.be...

Leader of the Human Genome Project argues in a new book that science and religion can coexist happily
www.sfgate.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

There is PLENTY of it though. Almost every day.

I don't know how anyone could miss it.

edit on 123131p://bSaturday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotya

reply to post by gotya

You're right that was a cheap shot. Those people are the true nut jobs.

Thank ya gotya, I respect that.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Basically this topic was in response to the religious people have a lower IQ topic, Which is just as ridiculous an observation as this one.

Just so you know, I agree with that.

But posting or reposting ridiculous observations which you know are ridiculous, out of spite and revenge, is not very helpfull at all.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm

Basically this topic was in response to the religious people have a lower IQ topic, Which is just as ridiculous an observation as this one.

Just so you know, I agree with that.

But posting or reposting ridiculous observations which you know are ridiculous, out of spite and revenge, is not very helpfull at all.

Spite was not the reason, getting people to think was the reason.

Spite never crossed my mind.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

The question now is can an atheist civilization really last and what shape would the moral code impart upon it,

Well we have some history on the impact of an atheist society on a culture.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
As I read noticing there was a lot of emphasis placed on having larger families. So explain how that is a good thing. You realize the world is at 7 billion and counting. That may have been a great survival tactic 50-100 or more years ago but now that is called irresponsibility.

There was only one point in my life where I believed in god and that was because the VA screwed up my meds and gave me stuff that literally drove me insane and BTW my life became miserable at that point. So at least in my case I know that if the idea of god becomes feasible then it means I need to get to the hospital and have my head examined.

Those who are religious are only one step away from believing a burning bush may start talking to them. How can people not realize the guy was delirious and not much different from the people that you see walking around talking to themselves or arguing with inanimate objects? The entire premise in religion is you give credibility to the mentally insane.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Fair enough, the title and article were a bit inflammatory though, but like I said some good points were made.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join