It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List of gods

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

There was a South Carolina license plate on the bottom of the farm pond. Don't ask how I, as a catfish, knew how to read. Perhaps it was a carryover from a life previous to that one.

And since when has reincarnation been incompatible with Christianity? If you look at a number of threads here in this very forum you will learn from many of the the non-Christian posters that Jesus taught reincarnation. Geesh.
edit on 8-8-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
And since when has reincarnation been incompatible with Christianity? If you look at a number of threads here in this very forum you will learn from many of the the non-Christian posters that Jesus taught reincarnation. Geesh.

And don't forget that we had the reincarnation of Jesus posting on ATS a while back.

Sadly, his omnipotence didn't prevent him from being post-banned, lol.

Still rants like a lunatic on his blog, though. I read it for a laugh when I'm feeling blue.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

And don't forget that we had the reincarnation of Jesus posting on ATS a while back.

Sadly, his omnipotence didn't prevent him from being post-banned, lol.

Still rants like a lunatic on his blog, though. I read it for a laugh when I'm feeling blue.

Well, you obviously don't understand the Modalist nature of god. You see, when the reincarnated Jesus was posting here it was only as a man.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I never said it was incompatible with Christianity. I said it wasn't something a typical Christian believes in. If you weren't such a jerk you would admit that. I gave you kudos in hopes of burying the hatchet and you give me a hard time in return. Geesh.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

I never said it was incompatible with Christianity. I said it wasn't something a typical Christian believes in. If you weren't such a jerk you would admit that. I gave you kudos in hopes of burying the hatchet and you give me a hard time in return. Geesh.

I haven't been a jerk whatsoever. I can be and you could see the distinct difference if you would desire that. We know that non-Christians are intimately smarter and more logical than Christians are so if they say reincarnation is what Jesus taught how can we object? It's a miracle we even get our shoes on the correct foot in the morning.[editby

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

I haven't been a jerk whatsoever. I can be and you could see the distinct difference if you would desire that. We know that non-Christians are intimately smarter and more logical than Christians are so if they say reincarnation is what Jesus taught how can we object? It's a miracle we even get our shoes on the correct foot in the morning.[editby

What's up with you and Adjenson this morning? You guys have faith in your gods yet are exhibiting the sarcasm of arrogant atheists. It keeps everybody on their toes.

Well played.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Sarcasm is my forte, today and every day

My wife bought me this shirt for my birthday one year -- after she saw someone wearing it on a plane, she tracked down where they got it and happily presented it to me.

And, hey, sarcasm is Christian -- Paul was a pretty sarcastic dude.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

I admit that's not something a typical Christian believes in.

What is typical Christian?

I see very little unity in any religion to call any believers typical.

Many Christians believe in reincarnation, at a younger age when I labeled myself as a christian I believed in reincarnation and many other "Christians" I knew did as well.

Its just the main leading denominations of Christianity reject the concept of reincarnation but many Christians believe in it.

Contradicting yes.

OP,

1st" Carlin rocks as he is able to make you laugh your but off at the same time blow your mind with such profound truth he puts a humorous spin to.

2nd: Any ATS members on that list

not saying there should be, but there should be.

How many GODs have blessed the boards over the last decade or more, some need recognition on a list if there is a list of GODs.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

What's up with you and Adjenson this morning? You guys have faith in your gods yet are exhibiting the sarcasm of arrogant atheists. It keeps everybody on their toes.

Well played.

Because it's Flippant Friday!

Well, it's Friday somewhere.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

How is this anything other than a troll thread?

How can it be a troll thread when the proof is right there! Do you think someone just sat down and wrote up a bunch of names? All of the gods on that list were worshiped at some point in time. And the people back then believed just as strongly about their god as you do yours.

But, out of those thousands of gods YOUR god is the real one, right? Come on, think about it.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

You see, when the reincarnated Jesus was posting here it was only as a man.

Just like the "original" Jesus! And Krishna, and all the others.

This isn't a "troll thread" when a member is asking other members to "wake up to yourself" and smell the coffee. ALL OF IT is "invented" by man. We don't really know, and I'm confident that in my lifetime, or my descendants' lifetimes, we STILL won't know - until SCIENCE is allowed to continue to grow and change - the way religions should be doing.

Science has no problem throwing out old theories as others come to light. Why can't religions do so as well?

Archive the "holy texts" and begin again, with everyone on the same page. PAGE ONE. Do over. Rethink. Evolve.
:shk: And I don't for one minute believe you were a catfish who could read license plates. Although I'd recommend you "keep swimming" and learn "whale" and stop thinking you know so much. Nemo needs thinkers to find him. Not complacent, fatalistic, stubborn lay-abouts and do-nothings.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

We can't wake up. Didn't you see the recent study that showed people who have faith do so because of mental illness? So there's nothing really that can be done, sorry.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Didn't you see the recent study that showed people who have faith do so because of mental illness?

I think I know you well enough to assess this as sarcasm. Otherwise, yes, I did and it's not a "recent idea" that religiosity is a mental disorder.

Sleep well, my antagonistic friend.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

This isn't a "troll thread" when a member is asking other members to "wake up to yourself" and smell the coffee.

I have a faith that makes me happy and brings me peace. Why would I want to "wake up" and reject that?

I have asked repeatedly and no one has EVER given me a good reason to become an atheist. Apart from "more money for yourself by not donating to church" and "extra hour to sleep in on Sunday", I've never seen any practical benefit, and from what I can tell, most atheists want to convert theists for the same reason theists want to convert atheists -- they're ticked off that someone doesn't think that they have a corner on the truth.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Didn't you see the recent study that showed people who have faith do so because of mental illness?

I think I know you well enough to assess this as sarcasm. Otherwise, yes, I did and it's not a "recent idea" that religiosity is a mental disorder.

Sleep well, my antagonistic friend.

Well, a mental disorder would be genetic. I'm no more responsible for my faith than I am for having blue eyes.

I would like to see our disorder officially recognized so I can get on disability then other people can pay my bills.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

This isn't a "troll thread" when a member is asking other members to "wake up to yourself" and smell the coffee.

I have a faith that makes me happy and brings me peace. Why would I want to "wake up" and reject that?

I have asked repeatedly and no one has EVER given me a good reason to become an atheist. Apart from "more money for yourself by not donating to church" and "extra hour to sleep in on Sunday", I've never seen any practical benefit, and from what I can tell, most atheists want to convert theists for the same reason theists want to convert atheists -- they're ticked off that someone doesn't think that they have a corner on the truth.

Atheists won't fly planes into buildings.
Atheists won't tell Africans that they can't wear condoms to protect themselves from AIDS.

I could go on, but hopefully you get the point. Just as atheists support the belief that there is no biblical god, when you pretend to believe there IS a biblical god, you support all the religions based on it.

What you suggest is that just because someone likes smoking crack it should be all right. However, this addict's business supports the drug trade that kills children.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

How is this anything other than a troll thread?

How can it be a troll thread when the proof is right there! Do you think someone just sat down and wrote up a bunch of names? All of the gods on that list were worshiped at some point in time. And the people back then believed just as strongly about their god as you do yours.

But, out of those thousands of gods YOUR god is the real one, right? Come on, think about it.

Our God wasn't a chunk of stone like all those others were. He walked and talked and was executed as a criminal for blasphemy, because the man clearly thought he really was God. The jewish Talmud paints him as the insane bastard of a hair dressing whore that got himself crucified for telling lies that he was God.

Come on...think about it.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Atheists won't fly planes into buildings.
Atheists won't tell Africans that they can't wear condoms to protect themselves from AIDS.

I could go on, but hopefully you get the point. Just as atheists support the belief that there is no biblical god, when you pretend to believe there IS a biblical god, you support all the religions based on it.

What you suggest is that just because someone likes smoking crack it should be all right. However, this addict's business supports the drug trade that kills children.

Did you just compare believing in God to doing crack? That is incredible.

Just imagine how many people would still be addicted to crack or alcohol or whatever if it weren't for their belief in a higher power.

As far as what else you said goes, a real Christian wouldn't fly a plane into a building. A real Christian wouldn't let their neighbors starve to death just because they can't find a job. A real Christian wouldn't sacrifice their sense of compassion for profit. Should I go on?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

D, I have no problem with people who find happiness and comfort in religion, if that's ALL they find. And (I believe you know) I am not an atheist.

What concerns me is the "religious" who insist that "Armageddon" is imminent and unstoppable - and that "hell" is the truth. My belief is that we all get to reunion with the Source eventually. What bothers me is the "fear-based" indoctrination beneath which so many are "spell-bound", and thusly, negative in their daily lives, not wanting to 'act' while they are alive....
believing that "we can't stop it."

I believe we CAN stop it - we CAN prevent "Armageddon".....and I won't succumb to the "oh well" version of 'waiting for Armageddon' and 'the rapture.'
did you see the video I recently posted of Bill Maher interviewing the Catholic Senior Priest? (I know you say you don't watch videos)

It's a short clip - just a Catholic Senior (I'm paraphrasing here, please forgive if it's not verbatim)
saying 'pfft. No, I don't think the Vatican's palatial opulence is what Jesus would have wanted.' And also, 'hell isn't taught anymore. Those are just stories.' And Maher says (regarding hell), "'ell, that's not fair! That's what I was taught!'

And the monsigneur shrugs and says 'Nah, that's past. It's not real. We don't say that anymore'. Maher says: 'So how do you change people's ideas, then?'
And the monsigneur waves his hand as at an annoying fly: 'you don't. You just let them keep their silly ideas.' and shrugs again.

The priest continues: 'In Italy, they did a survey to see which 'saints' or 'entities' Italian Catholic people "pray to" for help. SIXTH on the list is Jesus.'

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Well, a mental disorder would be genetic. I'm no more responsible for my faith than I am for having blue eyes.

Nope!
SOME mental disorders ARE genetic and run in families - others ARE acquired from life experience and early life trauma. You know all the debate terms --- I know which mental illnesses are considered "genetic" and which are not.

Sorry, but innocently being born with blue eyes does not compare to mental illness caused by traumatic experiences. Especially for people who "get religion" later in life, who had none or were negative about it before their 'life-changing event' caused them to turn that direction.

MANY prisoners suddenly 'get religion' while incarcerated. MANY people who have almost died, or suffered terrible tragedies,suddenly 'get religion' as a result of their dealing with the aftermath of the trauma. (Thinking of the pop song "That's when he got religion". Elton John.) SOME people are born with NEURObioligical mental illness - others become mentally ill when they suffer through a trauma of some kind.

SOME people, yes, are born with an interest in religion... but those who "discover it" later must be assessed on a case by case basis. It's a crutch for many, many injured, despairing people.

Nice try, though.

Religion, you do the best you can
We all make the same mistakes
We're gonna wind up with the man

Religion, oh you do the best you can
We all make the same mistakes
We're gonna wind up with the man
www.lyricsfreak.com...
We will all get there. There is no hell; there is no old man on a throne watching. There is hope, and there is awareness of mortality. We just try to muddle through the best we can. The idea of afterlife and reincarnation - EVEN WITHOUT A PERSONIFIED GOD - is still alive and well. And I believe in both, WITHOUT a 'personified, personal God' that I have to worship.

We are all connected. It will all be okay.

edit on 8-8-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join