It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One hell of a deal: Pope Francis offers reduced time in Purgatory for Catholics that follow him on T

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Really? If an arch bishop has no problem with my religion (and I am a Southern Baptist) then you should certainly have no problem with it. We had really nice dinner conversation at the feast afterwards as well, and none of it involved religion whatsoever.

My mother's religion has nothing to do with mine- I am a grown woman, a mother and grandmother perfectly able to know my own heart and beliefs. Think what you like, I've no need for your approval.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

I love Pope Francis, especially his granting the indulgence for World Youth Day 2013 NOT the mocks here of the faith because they do not understand the gift of indulgences.

LOL You sound like a star stuck teenager with a crush on a rock star!

Pope Francis is making this first-time offer to the faithful who follow the events in Rio de Janeiro online.

Under Catholic belief, after confessing and being absolved of sin, the indulgences granted reduce the amount of time one spends in purgatory, where one's sins are weighed after death.

Under the Pope's new offer, those who follow the week's events on the Twitter feed can get a speedier transit through purgatory, hopefully on the way to heaven.

So don't delay, act now, supplies are running out........But if the offer's shunned, you might as well be walking on the sun!

So, how is this supposed to work, you think? Will the Pope himself grant these iindulgences, or do you think his interns will be monitoring the tweets and deciding how much time off each one is worth?

edit on 18-7-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Colbe Crocker: "LEAVE CATHOLICS ALONE!"

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Ah, the Papacy. While the cat is away the mice will play.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Reminiscent of medieval times...dontcha think!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by joer4x4

Nah, Medieval Times is more believable than the Catholic Church.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I guess I'll put up some quotes from the link I posted earlier.

So what did the Vatican actually say that got the misinformed secular media into such a tizzy? Nothing new really… In a decree issued by the Apostolic Penitentiary granting special indulgences tied to participation in the 23rd World Youth Day in Rio, the special indulgences tied to the event were extended to those who lack the means and simply can’t make it to Rio, but instead participate whole-heartedly, but remotely using TV, Radio, and other forms of Media. The decree stated:

“The faithful legitimately impeded, are able to obtain ‘ Plenary Indulgence if, by complying with the usual spiritual, sacramental and prayer, with the purpose of filial submission to the Roman Pontiff, to participate spiritually in the sacred functions in certain days, provided follow these same rites and pious exercises while performing, or via television and radio, always with due devotion, through the new means of social communication”

So there you have it folks. Retweeting @Pontifex is not going to get you out of Hell, or Purgatory, despite what the media reports (or may be secretly hoping). So back to the drawing board in searching out a technicality that will get us into Heaven.

The emphasis is mine. Now for clarification.

Here are the seven most common myths about indulgences:

Myth 1: A person can buy his way out of hell with indulgences.

This charge is without foundation. Since indulgences remit only temporal penalties, they cannot remit the eternal penalty of hell. Once a person is in hell, no amount of indulgences will ever change that fact. The only way to avoid hell is by appealing to God’s eternal mercy while still alive. After death, one’s eternal fate is set (Heb. 9:27).

Myth 2: A person can buy indulgences for sins not yet committed.

The Church has always taught that indulgences do not apply to sins not yet committed. The Catholic Encyclopedia notes, "[An indulgence] is not a permission to commit sin, nor a pardon of future sin; neither could be granted by any power."

Myth 3: A person can "buy forgiveness" with indulgences.

The definition of indulgences presupposes that forgiveness has already taken place: "An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven" (Indulgentarium Doctrina 1, emphasis added). Indulgences in no way forgive sins. They deal only with punishments left after sins have been forgiven.

Myth 4: Indulgences were invented as a means for the Church to raise money.

Indulgences developed from reflection on the sacrament of reconciliation. They are a way of shortening the penance of sacramental discipline and were in use centuries before money-related problems appeared.

Myth 5: An indulgence will shorten your time in purgatory by a fixed number of days.

The number of days which used to be attached to indulgences were references to the period of penance one might undergo during life on earth. The Catholic Church does not claim to know anything about how long or short purgatory is in general, much less in a specific person’s case.

Myth 6: A person can buy indulgences.

The Council of Trent instituted severe reforms in the practice of granting indulgences, and, because of prior abuses, "in 1567 Pope Pius V canceled all grants of indulgences involving any fees or other financial transactions" (Catholic Encyclopedia). This act proved the Church’s seriousness about removing abuses from indulgences.

Myth 7: A person used to be able to buy indulgences.

One never could "buy" indulgences. The financial scandal surrounding indulgences, the scandal that gave Martin Luther an excuse for his heterodoxy, involved alms—indulgences in which the giving of alms to some charitable fund or foundation was used as the occasion to grant the indulgence. There was no outright selling of indulgences. The Catholic Encyclopedia states: "[I]t is easy to see how abuses crept in. Among the good works which might be encouraged by being made the condition of an indulgence, almsgiving would naturally hold a conspicuous place. . . . It is well to observe that in these purposes there is nothing essentially evil. To give money to God or to the poor is a praiseworthy act, and, when it is done from right motives, it will surely not go unrewarded."

I sincerely hope this will clear things up about what an indulgence is and is not.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsidoreOfSeville
I sincerely hope this will clear things up about what an indulgence is and is not.

A fairly transparent control mechanism.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
"with the purpose of filial submission to the Roman Pontiff"

That clause is so "governmental".

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
It is Pope Francis' way to offer a plenary indulgence to those who can't attend World Youth Day 2013 in Rio.

The wonderful thing about an indulgence is it is like God saying, come close to Me won't you, if you would, I have a gift for you.

These last 15 years I am familiar, Our Lord has spoken about the worldwide "awakening" (also called the Grat Warning) to Catholics and now He uses the same words speaking to our Protestant brothers and sisters. He doesn't just say an "awakening" is soon, we will all be One in belief to Protestants, the usual in their messages, Jesus explains to Julie what is going to happen during the "awakening." Wow! Julie is a Protestant seer.

St. John Chrysostom said there is nothing so sad as those who attack their own salvation. Please, believe
in the Eucharist, desire to become Roman Catholic. You will have to choose when God shows every person on
the earth. If you can't now, remember when the Great Warning takes place.

Messages to Julie Whedbee

www.IAmCallingYouNow.blogspot.com...

MY GREATEST ACT OF MERCY
July 16th, 2013

I am indeed coming down to the hearts of men and I will demonstrate Myself in such a way that has never occurred in history. I am about to reveal Myself powerfully and directly to every soul on this earth. Not one person will be able to dispute who I am, the King of Kings, and the Lord of Lords. This act is the greatest demonstration of My mercy that one could ever know. I am confirming to you what I have revealed to Bonnie so there will be no more uncertainty in your hearts. I have spoken to many concerning this event, and it is one and the same. You will be shown what I see, your true hearts will be revealed to you. You will see for yourselves the condition of your souls. For many, this will be a terrible experience and so I ask My remnant body to prepare now to minister to those who will be presented to you after this occurs. I am allowing this final act, this final warning, because of My infinite love for each one of you. Do not fear My children, only be obedient as I have required, and ensure that your spiritual house is in order. Once a soul sees its unrighteousness before a holy God, that soul chooses for itself its eternal destination. I desire that not one would be lost, but again it is a personal choice. ....

Yeshua

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Now this is the biggest issue I have with the RCC. The idea that people need to confess to a person, instead of directly to God, and infractions throw them into some mythical place called "Purgatory", that isn't even Biblical, is nothing, in my opinion, but a power game. Confession is fine, to God, through prayer. One doesn't need a priest, or a pope, for this. When there is talk of buying shortened time, it's even worse.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sandalphon
It seems nonsensical why the RCC hasn't made their own membership site for indulgences. Why not skip purgatory altogether and be saved by Jesus? So in a way, Pope Francis is proving to the world of all the people who have yet to know what real salvation is not based on works of twittering, which earns him all he deserves with voluntary followers.

What next, telling them to twitter their prayers, in front of the whole world? If you need a computer to get less purgatory, something is wrong with the religion.

Indulgences have nothing to do with salvation. People like to talk about the Church, which is fine, but make sure you understand what it is that you're criticizing before you criticize.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by colbe

Originally posted by AntoniusBlock
98% of ATS hates the Church while only 2% understand it.

Oh, the pain of it. I'll keep posting, prophecy has said for 15 years in my reading, the Remnant is Roma Catholic. God wants everyone to become Roman Catholic.

Again, please disbelievers. Satan has infiltrated the Church, try to figure out the reason. Okay, another, why do Satanists mimic the Holy Mass with black masses? Why do they steal and desecrate consecrated hosts?

God bless you Antonius!!!

colbe

He certainly has infiltrated the Church. It's frustrating that our shepherds leave us to explain their idiotic actions. How are people supposed to see the glory of the Church when its glory has been forfeit by our prelates to "keep up with the times"?

At any rate, the Catholic Church is the ark of salvation. It certainly is a remnant these days, isn't it? God bless you, brother.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by colbe

Really? If an arch bishop has no problem with my religion (and I am a Southern Baptist) then you should certainly have no problem with it. We had really nice dinner conversation at the feast afterwards as well, and none of it involved religion whatsoever.

My mother's religion has nothing to do with mine- I am a grown woman, a mother and grandmother perfectly able to know my own heart and beliefs. Think what you like, I've no need for your approval.

There are many archbishops in the Church now that any pre-Vatican II pope would have excommunicated in no time. Individual prelates don't matter. What matters is the teaching of the Magisterium, the teaching of the Church itself.

You're right when you say that you don't need any of our approval, but what you do need is to find the fulfillment of the Christian faith that you profess, which can only be found in Christ's Church, the Church which He founded on Peter as the first pope.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by joer4x4
"with the purpose of filial submission to the Roman Pontiff"

That clause is so "governmental".

LOL

So New World Order!

#1. "The Pope is of so great dignity and so exalted that he is not mere man, but as it were God, and the vicar of God."
#13. "Hence the Pope is crowned with a triple crown, as king of heaven and of earth and of the lower regions."

#30. "The Pope is of so great authority and power, that he is able to modify, declare, or interpret even divine laws."

But this authority, although it is given to man and is exercised by man, is not human, but rather divine, and has been given by the divine Word to Peter himself and to his successors in him, whom the Lord acknowledged an established rock, when he said to Peter himself: Whatsoever you shall bind etc. [Matt. 16:19]. Therefore, whosoever resists this power so ordained by God, resists the order of God [cf. Rom. 13:2] ... Furthermore, we declare, say, define, and proclaim to every human creature that they by necessity for salvation are entirely subject to the Roman Pontiff.

...all the faithful of Christ must believe "that the Apostolic See and the Roman Pontiff hold primacy over the whole world, and that the Pontiff of Rome himself is the successor of the blessed Peter, the chief of the apostles, and is the true vicar of Christ and head of the whole Church and faith, and teacher of all Christians; and that to him was handed down in blessed Peter, by our Lord Jesus Christ, full power to feed, rule, and guide the universal Church, just as is also contained in the records of the ecumenical Councils and in the sacred canons.
www.ourcatholicfaith.org...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheEgo

Regarding your Myth #7, how does one give alms to God (which is one way of receiving indulgences)? I assume it means giving money or property to the Church, i.e. buying indulgences. So your supposed Myth #7 is actually Fact #7 regarding indulgences.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

I agree with you completely LadyGreenEyes!
The only mortal man I discuss my sins with is my husband. I don't require an intermediary to go between me and the Lord. I guess maybe some feel better confessing to another person to clear their conscience, but I don't find it necessary.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AntoniusBlock

You're right when you say that you don't need any of our approval, but what you do need is to find the fulfillment of the Christian faith that you profess, which can only be found in Christ's Church, the Church which He founded on Peter as the first pope.

Ehhhhh....No.
If you feel you can only feel fulfilled in the RCC then good for you. I do not require it. I'm not even sure that Christ would be pleased with what has become of the RCC- endless scandal and greed unrivaled. Hope your new Pope helps sweep some of the mess out the back door for the sake of many good Catholics, but you won't be finding me among them.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Purgatory somewhere you go if you make deals with the Devil ?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

It's supposedly where you go to be purified before going to Heaven, but it is brought up by man after the death of Christ and a belief held mostly by the Catholic church. If it does exist I highly doubt you can bribe your way to a reduced sentence- which in my opinion is what they actually think they are doing. Follow on Twitter, reduce your sentence. Make a big donation, reduce your sentence. Kind of like in the judicial system- bribe judge, reduce sentence.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join